• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Pasta With the Pasta Grannies

weinoo

Someone in another thread was asking about making orecchiette. I like these videos (but since I have pretty easy access to good, fresh, handmade pasta, would never think of making them at home).

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

They are great examples of the ease with which the experienced ladies use feel . The speed!   Its like they could do it blind folded. Thanks for the reminder. My great grandma was like that.

• Like 1

Despite being from Puglia my orecchiette skills are mediocre. It takes a lot of practice to make something acceptable, because it’s all in how you hold the knife, the angle and the pressure exercised. They need to come uniform, thin, no holes, not super thick hedges. I often cheat and use a cavatelli machine (on the flat side, no ridges) and open one by one to get something similar to strascinati. This seems tedious but I can assure you it is still less tedious than trying to make 4 people portions when you don’t have the hand for it. I learned to make acceptable orecchiette when I went to university and I wanted the fresh taste. Nowadays you can buy packaged fresh orecchiette in the refrigerated section of any supermarket in Italy. Still not as good as the properly made one.

• Like 3