• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why is institutional food horrible?

Rodk

When Charlie was a preschooler, he spent the days at the restaurant with his Korean family and had whatever he wanted when he was hungry.  About the time he was ready for school, his mom sold the restaurant and moved on to bigger and better things in San Francisco.  In elementary school, Charlie really complained about cafeteria food.  I told him he just had to adjust to American food.  I didn't know until later that he threw up after every lunch.  When he ate at home, everything was OK.  I told him that if he didn't like something on his plate, he didn't have to eat it but he at least had to taste it first.  I don't recall that happening too many times.  But when he went to live for a summer in LA with his grandparents while I finished my masters degree, they let him eat McDonalds everyday and he was a chubby little boy when he got back home.  He did better by the time he got to middle school 

About 8 years ago, I was in the hospital with a broken ankle.  I waited 4 or 5 days until the surgeon scheduled me. 

I think the lady who brought the food didn't like me because she usually took most of it back.  As someone said earlier, it was low fat and low salt and really bland.  Luckily Charlie and Cassie would bring me some food from home or a restaurant when they visited.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Rodk said:

Are we as a society allowing too much time to be spent at star restaurants where building food statuettes out of rare and expensive ingredients absorbs the mind power of chefs who could be figuring out how to feed captured audiences a little better and more cheaply? We have hospitality schools everywhere. Cooking networks. Hamburger universities. The CIA. Should we not figure out a way to get them on the job?

It's a secret rule that goes back to ancient Asia. Ask @shawarma_prince for more infos.

Teo

• Haha 3

Teo

3 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

for USA, don't forget the Federal Government decided it knew better what good food was.

my wife witnessed 80-90% of the new and healthy food going into the garbage can.

Here I saw that mor for subsidized lunches versus kids who paid. So unfortunate.