• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Entering from Stage Left

Asherweef

Hi all,

Not quite a long time lurker but I have been looking on and off the forum for a few years before this decision to register and [hopefully] get involved. I originally heard of the forum through a book - Craft Cocktails at Home - which was an excellent read.

There are so many potential topics here that I don’t quite know where to start: I’m part-time home brewer, main cook and baker-in-chief (when I find time). Particularly interested in scientific tidbits but also following along with what people are making; ive noted a lot of soups etc for breakfast?! 

Looking forward to to getting more involved.

Asherweef

• Like 4

Welcome! I spent a few months in York some years ago, exploring the city and general environs of Yorkshire. Perhaps it wasn't a gastronomic capital, but I certainly enjoyed (and gained a few pounds on) the fish and chips and ale...and good English breakfasts. :) 

Jump right in to any topic you wish, and if you have questions about the forum working don't hesitate to ask, either by PM to a host or in the Moderation and Policy Discussion forum.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

We've made one trip to England and fell in love.  That trip was London, Cotswolds and a little south and west.  Our next planned trip (which was cancelled due to my mother's ill health) was to be to points north - York, the Dales, Hadrian's wall, the Lake District - as much as we could fit in to 2 weeks.  We still hope to make the trip and I am looking forward to your posts more than I already was.  Any surroundings that you can sneak into the edges of your food pictures would be welcomed by me!  And once you are comfortable, a food blog would make me a happy girl!

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 12:44 PM, Asherweef said:

I originally heard of the forum through a book - Craft Cocktails at Home - which was an excellent read.

thanks for the book recommendation 

will likely download and check it out over the weekend 

the author doesn't seem to be a professional cook / bartender but is this MIT engineering graduate with both BS and MS degrees 

I wonder if he learned drinking in college after studying like 10-12 hour a day or something and needed to relax 

• Haha 1

On 11/7/2019 at 4:33 PM, eugenep said:

the author doesn't seem to be a professional cook / bartender but is this MIT engineering graduate with both BS and MS degrees 

But he’s a member of eG!  Hasn’t visited in quite a while but his posts are still accessible. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 11/4/2019 at 9:22 PM, Kim Shook said:

We've made one trip to England and fell in love.  That trip was London, Cotswolds and a little south and west.  Our next planned trip (which was cancelled due to my mother's ill health) was to be to points north - York, the Dales, Hadrian's wall, the Lake District - as much as we could fit in to 2 weeks.  We still hope to make the trip and I am looking forward to your posts more than I already was.  Any surroundings that you can sneak into the edges of your food pictures would be welcomed by me!  And once you are comfortable, a food blog would make me a happy girl!

I walked Hadrians Wall some years ago. Very envious that you will be discovering it in the near future!

On 11/7/2019 at 9:33 PM, eugenep said:

thanks for the book recommendation 

will likely download and check it out over the weekend 

I wonder if he learned drinking in college after studying like 10-12 hour a day or something and needed to relax 

I would be interested to hear your thoughts - I loved the book.

Thanks for the warm welcome, all.

• Like 1