• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chili con carne

stephen129

20 minutes ago, stephen129 said:

Ah, I was trying to find a thread like that. Chilli with one 'l' rather than two.

Yep. I usually spell it with two 'l's, but there are more American members than others and most of them seem to tend to use the one 'l' version. Look out for 'chile', too, although as far as I'm concerned that's a country!

Ideally the search function should detect both spellings  irrespective of which you use (as do most popular search engine, such as Google, Bing etc), but our search function here lacks some functionality.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Chile with an e on the end refers to the actual product such as a jalapeno chile or serrano chile. Chili with one "l" and an "i" on the end refers to the finished dish which doesn't contain beans in Texas but also to that stuff served over spaghetti in Cleveland. Chilli with two "l"s means you have sent too much time in southern Asia or the British empire. We'll make a Texan out of you soon enough!

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, MarkinHouston said:

Chile with an e on the end refers to the actual product such as a jalapeno chile or serrano chile. Chili with one "l" and an "i" on the end refers to the finished dish which doesn't contain beans in Texas but also to that stuff served over spaghetti in Cleveland. Chilli with two "l"s means you have sent too much time in southern Asia or the British empire. We'll make a Texan out of you soon enough!

Maybe in your dialect. In fact,  chili is used more than chile to refer to the 'actual product'. Chilli is the most common English spelling world-wide. I think perhaps you spend too much time in the US.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto