• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chili con Carne

netrover

As well, I prefer to use chunks of beef rather than a mince.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Instead of the unseetened chocolate, you may want to try unsweetened cocoa power. It's easier to control.  You want it in there, but you don't want to be able to identify the taste.  Don't forgo the cumin. 

If you use beans, pinto beans work better than kidney beans.

yes, this will also work well. Even better is mexican unsweetened chocolate blocks used specificially for making mole, but good luck finding them in England.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Try using cubes of fried tofu instead of meat. I fry mine in a little less oil than necessary, this causes a little sticking and some of the tofu breaks up to mimic ground meat. (The pan deglazes when the chopped tomatoes are poured in, so there's no horribly burnt mess to clean up.)

Edited by Dstone001 (log)

Yes on almost everything mentioned so far: beer, chocolate or cocoa (just watch it carefully so that it doesn't burn), cinnamon, diced meat preferable to minced, real chilies (toasted rehydrated dried are fine if you can't get fresh). Also: beef stock for more liquid. Maybe some leftover red wine. Yes or no on the tomatoes. Yes or no on bell peppers.

You can also thicken it with ground nuts or (toasted and ground) pumpkin seeds. Just be careful then about serving it to people with nut allergies, esp. peanuts.

When I add tofu, I freeze it first, then thaw and crumble it before adding. Gives a "meatier" texture. But not much flavor, so I usually only add it in addition to meat, or use stronger seasonings.

I prefer not to cook it with beans, but to cook and serve them separately. Especially since I usually make a huge batch, portion it out, and freeze it. The beans don't take kindly to that treatment.

Finally, I usually cook mine down to be rather dry without any added thickeners. That way I can use if for tacos and enchiladas, too. And it works well layered with corn tortillas and baked, for a torte. I can always thin it out later if I need to.

All excellent ideas and a great link too. I will definately use these next time I cook a chilli and report back.

I particularly like the smoked chilli, cumin, oregano, paprika, beer and chocolate suggestions. Great stuff, keep it coming.

If you're using a commercially prepackaged chili powder seasoning mix, grinding your own spices just before cooking will make a big difference.

One of my friends, whose chili is quite excellent, uses half beef and half pork and opts for a mixture of cubed and chopped meat. The big chunks of cubed meat provide a great texture whereas the finely chopped meat really holds the spices and the sauce.

If you're currently using them, I would omit green bell peppers. Though many people add them, I find that they don't really flatter the finished product with their grassy, vegetal taste.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

What are green peppers for? I avoid them at all costs in everything.

I currently use a combination of fresh chillis and sweet chilli sauce and some salt and pepper, thats it! So not even a packaged seasoning mix. The result is not actively bad, but it's more like a slightly hot beef stew with some beans in it than a proper "dish".

One of my friends, whose chili is quite excellent, uses half beef and half pork and opts for a mixture of cubed and chopped meat.

Ground beef and cubed pork or both meats in both forms?

Are tomatoes traditionaly used, or have they crept in over time in bastardised recipes? It seems to me that there are so many "quick and easy" recipes based around a can of tomatoes that I can quite imagine it as the invention of a food economist working for a cookery magazine.

Ground beef and cubed pork or both meats in both forms?

Oh see now I have to ask him. Thanks a lot.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

It just occurred to me that "chili con carne" as we are discussing it is the American equivalent of cassoulet: there are "rules" for its making, yet no one seems able to agree on what constitutes THE authentic version. (Barbecue is another, but that's pretty well covered in other threads.)

What other regional dishes in other countries engender the same passionate debate? Just curious.

Tomatos creeping in? Good question! And one for which I don't know the answer, of course. Chili is also known as a bowl of red...which says, at first glance 'tomato'.....then at second glance...hmmm...chili powder is red, too. So I don't know.

Does anyone know the origin of chili? Was it cowboy food? I tend to think that cowboys ate lots of beans, especially after studying that historically-correct film, Blazing Saddles ;) . If it was cowboy food, then tomatos weren't in it, right? I mean, if you're on a cattle drive or living in a line shack, you ain't gardening, and sun-dried tomatos in olive oil probably weren't part of the chuckwagon pantry :).

So, if it WAS cowboy food, we're talking meat and spices. In any case, while I'm sure my recipe isn't even close to original, it IS close to Kit's (see farther up in this thread). I played with tons of recipes, and pretty-much like 'em all, even Cincinnati-style chili! That's just different - and makes a truly tremendous hotdog meat sauce.

The one thing I noticed as a common thread was *fresh* spices, which, honestly, I've never used. This is where I'm going, I think - it's been a while since I made chili. It IS a pain to make, since I like it spicy and the family, as a rule, doesn't. I think I disagree with the idea of putting habaneros in there, but I agree strongly with putting non-green peppers.....a ripe jalapeno tastes nothing like a green one.

With that said, I think I'll start a thread on hot stuff.....it's food as entertainment! :)

It's my understanding that the original "chili" (ie, "chile con carne") started out on the trail with either American or Mexican caballeros. Cookie cut up some beef and over the campfire simmered it with chiles and water.

Actually, since Cookie would have had on hand a big supply of dried beans, it seems likely that (contrary to the big "bean debate") they might have been added before tomatoes.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I agree, Jaymes. It also seems to me that dried corn was a likely ingredient, and also that wheat flour was as probable a thickener as masa. Leftover coffee sounds reasonable; chiles, aromatics and herbs were probably wild and picked along the trail.

Although I include a little tomato in my chili, I doubt its authenticity, along with chocolate and beer (both of which I also use).

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I agree, Jaymes. It also seems to me that dried corn was a likely ingredient, and also that wheat flour was as probable a thickener as masa. Leftover coffee sounds reasonable; chiles, aromatics and herbs were probably wild and picked along the trail. 

Although I include a little tomato in my chili, I doubt its authenticity, along with chocolate and beer (both of which I also use).

Yeah - I personally don't ever get too bogged down with being so "really authentic" that I sound like that tiresome nag Karen on Frontier House. :biggrin:

I just try to prepare stuff that tastes good. Because Cookie didn't throw in any wonderful canned tomatoes from Italy means nothing.

Other than that he probably didn't have any.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I use dried black beans (soaked or brought to a boil- rest 30 minutes covered, throw out the liquid). Then, chicken stock, sauteed garlic and onion, toasted cumin and corriander, cayenne. I add sweated anaheims, jalapenos, a little bit of chipolte if I have it. I use shredded chicken, turkey. I add diced tomatoes, diced pumpkin (I usually use kabocha pumpkin- which is also popular in Mexico). I add a little cinnamon and thicken it with masa. At the end I add fresh corn and fresh cilantro, and fresh oregano.

from the rat archives -

Sweat lots of onions, garlic, sweet peppers (green and red) with cumin seed, fennel seed and dried oregano all in bacon fat. Or just throw ‘em in with a bunch of chopped up bacon.

Add beer (something locally brewed to add to the down home party feel) and reduce until almost dry

Add red wine vinegar and reduce again until almost dry

Add chopped chili peppers of choice – I would use a combination of red chili, green chili, Serrano, pablano and jalapeno (you get great flavor from mixing it up). Stay away from habanera peppers; they’re just too darn lethal.

Cook all this down until it starts to brown and stick to the bottom of the pot. Turn the heat down low and go slow so you don’t burn it. Remember, you gotta put some love into this or it’s gonna suck! Add the chili powder at this point and continue to sweat it for about 5 minutes or until you get that awesome smell when you stick your face in the pot.

At this point add –

Canned tomato of choice

Fresh tomato, roughly chopped

Tomato paste

Bay leaf

Meat of choice - Beef chuck or pork shoulder ground up. Cook this separately by itself and drain off the grease. Save some though ‘cause you’ll want to add some back for good flavor.

Throw in a couple of whole lemons and limes cut into quarters

Simmer the whole thing slowly for as long as you can. 4 hours minimum. The longer the better. Add water here and there if you need to. Don’t let the whole thing get too thick.

For the beans, use a mix of cannelloni, red kidney, pinto, navy and anything else you can get your hands on. A variety will mix up the taste and add to the visual as well.

Molasses and dark brown sugar to sweeten it up and I’ve even heard of using some chocolate for this too. The sweetness will balance out the vinegar you added earlier. Btw, you may need to add more vinegar if you think it needs some bite.

Don’t forget salt!!!! It’s very important! You can make dog crap taste good with salt. (ummmm, at least that’s what someone told me).

Just before serving, take it off the fire and stir in -

Whole butter

Tabasco and worstershire

Couple shots of tequila (for 700 pp maybe more like a whole bottle)

If you can find something called aleppo pepper (found in Indian food stores) sprinkle it in at this point for some serious kick!

Top with sour cream, grated jack cheese and chopped parsley (Italian flat leaf, not curly). Guacamole and chips on the side and your good to go.

Stay away from those recipes that use flour, cornstarch or rice. The reason they are there is to act as a thickening agent for the chili so you don’t have to cook it for a long time. There’s no love in that!

Make sure to give the little woman the dutch oven from hell for the rest of the week! Good luck.

from the rat archives -

Cool -

Thanks! :rolleyes: