• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chili con Carne

netrover

1 minute ago, Okanagancook said:

@FeChefi like your procedure of baking the beef.  I might try that except cook in the CSO on BakeSteam so it stays nice and moist.

Just make sure you cook it to medium so you dont end up with really greasy chili ( unless you like that ) Also, make sure you tear apart by hand. If you cut it with a knife it just doesn't look great.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Grew up eating this chili. My late step father always made it. It's a recipe from the 50's, but i think at some point it might have been on a can of tomato soup my step father got it from, or possibly his mother had the original recipe card.Anyway, I just made a batch, followed the recipe. Not sure if my taste buds have changed over the decade's but i feel like its missing something. Maybe its the crackers. ( i always added saltines ) Its still cooling down.

944e65951a4a67397749310c2449ae07.jpg

20221228_193457.jpg

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, FeChef said:

Grew up eating this chili. My late step father always made it. It's a recipe from the 50's, but i think at some point it might have been on a can of tomato soup my step father got it from, or possibly his mother had the original recipe card.Anyway, I just made a batch, followed the recipe. Not sure if my taste buds have changed over the decade's but i feel like its missing something. Maybe its the crackers. ( i always added saltines ) Its still cooling down.

It looks just like the original!  Did you also use the condensed soup or normal tinned tomato soup?

13 minutes ago, FeChef said:

Condensed. I was not aware there is any other kind.

Not sujre of your location but here in US I have never seen anyanythging other than the condensed style popularized and beloved by many by Campbells. I personally use tomato paste whn I do chili in the generic style.

2 hours ago, FeChef said:

Condensed. I was not aware there is any other kind.

Yep. There are a number of producers who make a ready-to-eat soup including cream of tomato.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog