• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato-covered pies: shepherd's, cottage, fisherman's, etc.

Thus showcasing the weakness of a wiki -- in some cases, an obscure source (onegreenplanet.org?) carries as much weight as one of recognized authority (Mrs. Beeton!)

"Shepherd" is not gendered in the first place, so calling someone a "shepherdess" is like calling someone a "teacheress." That's not just sexist, it's awkward (and kind of dumb sounding).

I suggest "gardener's pie," or "farmer's pie," if it's necessary to have a unique name for it. I'm not convinced it is.

• Like 4

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:57 PM, liuzhou said:

We need a 'horrified' emoji!

Couldn't find horrified...will one of these do?🤢🤮

I love corn 🌽

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

23 minutes ago, caroled said:

Couldn't find horrified...will one of these do?🤢🤮

I was thinking something more like this.

1966975700_TheScream.thumb.jpg.f3c82852602d53f9cb2463a00e4e558d.jpg

My mother used to make a sort of faux stargazy pie. It was really just a fish pie with mashed potato topping and a few sardines heads sticking up through the topping. True stargazy pies are fish and potato, but have a pastry topping. The potatoes are in the filling with the fish.

Baked_stargazy_pie.jpg.46f28420ee20d0f9941b96ec6284ce14.jpg

This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto