• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[BBC] "New York Times thinks Yorkshire pudding is a dessert"?!?!?!

Martin Fisher

This belongs in the 'stupid food arguments' section. If there was one.

The BBC says that the NYT 'thinks Yorkshire pudding is a dessert.'

I don't see where the NYT thinks that a Dutch Baby is the same , or even similar, to Yorkshire Pudding.

Nigella is the one who suggests similarities on her blog.

I find the two QUITE different!

New York Times thinks Yorkshire pudding is a dessert

The Exact History of Dutch Babies is Unknown

"Dutch Babies

The most famous of his dishes is the Dutch Baby. While I personally do not know its derivation, many believe that the Dutch Baby is based off of the German Apfelpfannkuchen. The original recipe is a Manca family secret. But close approximations can be found on many places on the web. Martha Stewart even has a version!

The family lore is that one of Victor's daughters (one of my grandfather's sisters) named the Dutch Baby as a child. Perhaps they got named "Dutch" because of her inability to pronounce "Deutsch" - the German word for German.

My family believes that Dutch Babies became famous when Sunset Magazine profiled them as a featured recipe. You can find the recipe and some history in their old cookbooks (I know the "Best of Sunset" Cookbook published in March of 1987 has them on page 167). Sunset credits Manca's Cafe and my great-grandfather as the inventor of the Dutch Baby.

We have a version of the Manca's Cafe menu from December 16, 1942. At the time, Manca's Cafe owned the trademark for the term Dutch Babies. They were on the menu for $0.90. With a side of bacon for a total of $1.00. Or with a side of sausage for $1.10."

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I searched for the earliest Dutch baby recipe that I could find.

It's in a 1944 issue of Sunset magazine.

Not only is it nothing like Yorkshire Pudding—It's nothing like any modern Dutch Baby recipe that I've seen.

"DUTCH BABIES"

1 egg

2 tablespoons cream

1 teaspoon Sherry

1 teaspoon flour

Pinch of salt

Pinch of baking powder

Source: Sunset, Volumes 94-95, Lane Publishing Company, 1944

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

28 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I searched for the earliest Dutch baby recipe that I could find.

It's in a 1944 issue of Sunset magazine.

Not only is it nothing like Yorkshire Pudding—It's nothing like any modern Dutch Baby recipe that I've seen.

"DUTCH BABIES"

1 egg

2 tablespoons cream

1 teaspoon Sherry

1 teaspoon flour

Pinch of salt

Pinch of baking powder

Source: Sunset, Volumes 94-95, Lane Publishing Company, 1944

For those of us who grew up in postwar and food rationed Britain,  trust me that Yorkshire pudding frequently WAS a dessert.  I’ve had many a plate of Yorkshire pudding drizzled with raspberry vinegar and sprinkled with sugar after the Sunday joint.   And no, pot was not legal.  xD

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So all desserts are puddings, but not all puddings are desserts?  No wonder we're confused!

Mom would make Dutch Babies sometimes for Sunday breakfast, IIRC  served with powdered sugar and lemon juice.  I don't think I found them all that exciting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

So all desserts are puddings, but not all puddings are desserts?  No wonder we're confused!

Mom would make Dutch Babies sometimes for Sunday breakfast, IIRC  served with powdered sugar and lemon juice.  I don't think I found them all that exciting.

My favorite version of a Dutch baby has ricotta cheese in the middle, topped with apple butter. I sort of wrap two sides to the center, and eat it like a big, fat crepe.

My Dutch baby also has, I think, three eggs and a quarter-cup of flour. It's probably big enough for two...but I usually eat it all.

I'm also fond of one with grated cheese and bacon sprinkled on top before sliding into the oven.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Okay, clarify for me please: 

I always think of Yorkshire pudding as being made with beef drippings or tallow or some kind of meat fat. If you make it with butter is it still Yorkshire pudding? I think of that basic recipe made with butter as popovers, which I love. Dutch Baby never did much for me, but then I've always thought of it (perhaps incorrectly) as just a giant pancake, and I'm less inclined toward sweets at breakfast or pancakes for dessert.

I can certainly see eating 'batter pudding"for breakfast either way, as ingredients or preference dictates. I don't cook roasts or much beef at all, so my drippings are limited, but I consider real Yorkshire pudding a treat. Although I might not want to put jam on my pudding if it was made with beef fat, but you never know. And anyone with children knows that most of them will put sugar on just about anything, given half a chance. My husband puts jam or marmalade on his popovers, but I like them just plain for breakfast. I can easily imagine that leftover Yorkshire pudding would be adapted to the use of of sugar or syrup or jam; after all you make the best of what you've got, and you dress it up however it pleases.