Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

blue_dolphin

Cooking with Six Seasons by Joshua McFadden

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, heidih said:

I'm with you on the best use of roasted cauliflower. If I get a ginormous head at 99 cent store I'll roast it all, scarf with danger of mouth burn straight from pan, and only then repurpose leftovrs into a room temp salad with crunchy herby stuff and usually some craisins or dates.

 

Good point!  If I'd looked at this salad as a good way to use up leftover roasted cauliflower, I'd probably have been more forgiving in my review!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Six Seasons leftovers. The recipe for Smashed New Potatoes with Lemon and Lots of Olive Oil p 161 suggests making hash browns by shaping the smashed potatoes into pucks, dipping in bread crumbs and shallow frying them until browned and crisp.  So, I did:

IMG_8108.thumb.jpg.d0f09a9c0f87c45c3d0a37db28ecaa8d.jpg

Topped with Charred Scallion Salsa Verde p 109, soft boiled eggs and a few bacon crumbles.  Tomato chutney on the side.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

In the last few weeks, lots of vegetables featured in Six Seasons have made their appearance at the local farmers market.  Cucumbers, string beans and summer squash from the Midsummer chapter and corn and tomatoes from the Late Summer chapter are all plentiful now and I bought all of them at a local farm stand. 

I set up a few jars of cold brine pickles p 58.  My fridge is overcrowded with condiments so I limited myself to small amounts to use in a recipe or two. 

IMG_8254.thumb.jpg.60bf81c055c71230b9bc37e1c94c8371.jpg

 

I used 3 different types of summer squash in the Squash and "Tuna Melt" Casserole p 213.  Not really something I'd normally make in the middle of a heat wave but it was very tasty.  

IMG_8268.thumb.jpg.fa977244d75a6017ccb2e0ed98f47c16.jpg

Alongside is the salad of Cucmbers, Celery, Apricots and Pistachios p 196.  The salad was excellent, although not the best pairing with the casserole.  I knew that going in but I wanted to try both recipes.  The salad's got tons of flavors and textures and would be excellent with a simple roasted chicken or the like.  The technique of plumping the dried apricots in red wine vinegar with a smashed garlic clove was a nice touch.

 

The casserole was a bit salty for my taste.  The squash are salted to draw out excess moisture and I blotted them well but should have given them a quick rinse first.  This would probably be successful made with old grocery store zucchini but the flavor and texture of the farm-fresh squash make it pretty special.


Edited by blue_dolphin typo (log)
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

In the last few weeks, lots of vegetables featured in Six Seasons have made their appearance at the local farmers market.  Cucumbers, string beans and summer squash from the Midsummer chapter and corn and tomatoes from the Late Summer chapter are all plentiful now and I bought all of them at a local farm stand. 

I set up a few jars of cold brine pickles p 58.  My fridge is overcrowded with condiments so I limited myself to small amounts to use in a recipe or two. 

IMG_8254.thumb.jpg.60bf81c055c71230b9bc37e1c94c8371.jpg

 

I used 3 different types of summer squash in the Squash and "Tuna Melt" Casserole p 213.  Not really something I'd normally make in the middle of a heat wave but it was very tasty.  

IMG_8268.thumb.jpg.fa977244d75a6017ccb2e0ed98f47c16.jpg

Alongside is the salad of Cucmbers, Celery, Apricots and Pistachios p 196.  The salad was excellent, although not the best pairing with the casserole.  I knew that going in but I wanted to try both recipes.  The salad's got tons of flavors and textures and would be excellent with a simple roasted chicken or the like.  The technique of plumping the dried apricots in red wine vinegar with a smashed garlic clove was a nice touch.

 

The casserole was a bit salty for my taste.  The squash are salted to draw out excess moisture and I blotted them well but should have given them a quick rinse first.  This would probably be successful made with old grocery store zucchini but the flavor and texture of the farm-fresh squash make it pretty special.

 

Now is the time of year that I wish I had this book, thanks to you :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2018 at 4:47 AM, Shelby said:

Now is the time of year that I wish I had this book, thanks to you :) 

 

It's like getting a whole new book with all these summer vegetables coming along and I'm envying your beautiful garden-fresh produce.  It would make the most of these recipes for sure, especially your beautiful corn!

 

I had to make myself a new list and note items I'll need to buy or prepare for the corn, string bean, cucumber and tomato recipes:

IMG_8290.thumb.jpg.505bd0d0f78208e33f4c0f403f186979.jpg

Gotta pace myself xD

 

Here's the Raw Corn with Walnuts, Mint & Chile from p 222.  I had it first as a side salad:

IMG_8270.thumb.jpg.f862e1ba5acea724aa9daa6d8170f003.jpg

 

Then I made the crostini variation:

IMG_8275.thumb.jpg.9db2cf3442448911802c37d9ab29425e.jpg

Toasted bread (the Pan de Pueblo from Roan Mills, made with corn flour in the dough), rubbed with garlic, spread with the whipped ricotta (p 37) and topped with the corn salad mixture. 

 

Edited to add that the header notes for this recipe say it's inspired by the classic Mexican grilled corn on the cob served with chile powder, lime, mayo and Cotija cheese.  As a salad, the fresh corn is so sweet  that it's a much more delicate flavor profile. With the charred bread, whipped ricotta and the sprinkle of Nopalito spices (a mix of dried, toasted and ground de árbol and guajillo chiles) I added, the crostini came much closer to the Mexican street corn flavor profile.   


Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Best variation of the Raw Corn with Walnuts, Mint & Chile from p 222  so far is the leftovers that I had for breakfast.

IMG_8294.thumb.jpg.89482858e953bd26f3c66aff3787e0c9.jpg

I made the crostini on garlic-rubbed toast as above then slid the loaded slices back into the CSO to take the chill off the corn and whipped ricotta while I cooked a soft boiled egg to put on top.

More ground chiles sprinkled on top.

I was thinking that some crispy bacon crumbles would have been excellent here, though this version lets the sweet corn be the star of the plate.


Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Best variation of the Raw Corn with Walnuts, Mint & Chile from p 222  so far is the leftovers that I had for breakfast.

IMG_8294.thumb.jpg.89482858e953bd26f3c66aff3787e0c9.jpg

I made the crostini on garlic-rubbed toast as above then slid the loaded slices back into the CSO to take the chill off the corn and whipped ricotta while I cooked a soft boiled egg to put on top.

More ground chiles sprinkled on top.

I was thinking that some crispy bacon crumbles would have been excellent here, though this version lets the sweet corn be the star of the plate.

 

Wow.    I want.  I have no other words.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

First you pickle all the vegetables (see a few just upthread here) and chop them up into little bits:

IMG_8296.thumb.jpg.69169c2f0cb95c93dcccefacb024922f.jpg

From left:  purchased pickled red peppers and zucchini, spring onions, green string beans, radishes, carrots, manzano chiles, yellow wax beans, all from Six Seasons p 58 & 59. 

 

Then you make the Pickled Vegetable Butter p 35:

IMG_8300.thumb.jpg.a7331e483b60d99b14543caa0437081a.jpg

I'm not the biggest fan of compound butters but I though this one looked very pretty so I made a half-recipe. It calls for unsalted butter and does not add any but since the brine in the book is fairly light, I think it could use a bit.  I'm going to soften it up again and add a little. With the colorful confetti of vegetables, it's certainly a pretty way to serve butter at a party or buffet table.

 

Next up is the Farro with Tomatoes, Raw Corn, Mint, Basil and Scallions p 263 - summer in a bowl!

IMG_8301.thumb.jpg.d67d2462714c7211a51392c6d58b228e.jpg

Nice seasonal salad.  I lightened up on both the olive oil and salt to suit my taste.

As written, the serving size is ample enough to be a main course. That's about 1/2 a serving on my plate above.  If serving as a main, some cheese (grilled halloumi?) or grilled chicken or seafood would be good additions to provide some protein.  The farro benefits from a bit of time to absorb the flavors but that time is not kind to the croutons so I'd hold them out until ready to eat, especially if you foresee leftovers. 

Alongside is a slice of toasted bread buttered with the Pickled Vegetable Butter that wasn't really needed here as the salad also contains the Torn Croutons p 29 but I wanted to try it anyway. 

 


Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This salad has lots going on! String Beans, Pickled Beans, Tomatoes, Cucumbers and Olives on Tonnato from Six Seasons p 203.  Great main dish salad.

IMG_8309.thumb.jpg.3dc183ae54660107d6ffff47aee3dcc4.jpg

The book describes carefully plating the salad ingredients on a layer of tonnato, which I did but I felt the starting photo didn't really capture this salad so I took a mid-meal photo to share the experience:

IMG_8317.thumb.jpg.b411a02e6e672a9624941cae5e566017.jpg


I could have been happy with the tonnato and steamed string beans but no, there's much more here - every bite is a little different: tender/crisp string beans, crunchy pickled wax beans p 59 that actually add a sweet element, tart tomatoes, peppery arugula and fragrant basil, salty olives, sharp, crunchy red onion all of which get bathed in delicious tonnato. I skipped the optional croutons in favor of some crusty bread but I put a couple on my plate as I was finishing and they do add a welcome crunch.

I used a different tonnato recipe but I've tried the one in the book and it would certainly work well in this dish.
 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With extra tonnato made for the recipe above, I repeated the Radishes with Tonnato, Sunflower Seeds and Lemon from Six Seasons p 112. 

IMG_8348.thumb.jpg.a7e0c1baaf62d4794a82abb9e56845b2.jpg

Still the best way I've found to eat a bowl o-radishes!

 

I also tried the Grilled Corn with Alla Diavola Butter and Pecorino p 229

IMG_8351.thumb.jpg.5a68c7ddf4876040c369767beb8dafaa.jpg

I really like the Alla Diavola butter p 33 and this was very good but grilling fresh, tender sweet corn seems to take some of the "pop" out of the kernels - they don't quite burst when your teeth hit them they way they do if you just steam or microwave them lightly.  

The idea in the header notes of serving several different butters from the book with corn on the cob is very appealing. I will try the Cacio e Pepe butter p 34 next but probably won't grill the corn.

  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tomato-Rubbed Grilled Bread Topped with Tomato Salad from Six Seasons p 263.
IMG_8370.thumb.jpg.0b202d68dc92de624432fdb2bcfb5ba5.jpg
Bread is grilled or toasted, rubbed with garlic, olive oil and tomato, spread with whipped ricotta and topped with more fresh tomatoes that have been marinated in red wine vinegar. I added a little confetti of basil because I thought it should be there.
  • Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Corn and Tomato Salad with Torn Croutons from Six Seasons p 225.  Leftover kuku sabzi (not from this book) in the background.

IMG_8389.thumb.jpg.bbd801c5812a338fb72363e790121104.jpg

This is very similar to the Farro with Tomatoes, Raw Corn, Mint, Basil and Scallions that I shared a few posts back. While the farro made that version a one-bowl meal, this is much lighter and more of a side salad.

I like the addition of pistachios and grated Pecorino Romano cheese in this version.

 

In all of the raw corn salads this book, after cutting the corn off the ears, they are scraped and the milky pulp in included in the salads.  I've always scraped the cobs and saved the pulp aside for a soup but it becomes a nice part of the dressing in these salads. 

 

Spaghetti with Small Tomatoes, Garlic, Basil and Chiles from Six Seasons p 269.

IMG_8394.thumb.jpg.06fe6d73487d1f8b162820d3092deb0e.jpg

In this recipe, the garlic, half of the tomatoes and basil get cooked down into a sauce while the rest are added to the pan as the pasta finishes cooking in the sauce so you get both cooked and fresh flavors.

It's finished with a sprinkle of dried breadcrumbs p 30 and grated Parmesan Romano.

IMG_8397.thumb.jpg.6cf90d4fdfa8d6b86475a52d49d5fe07.jpg

I can't say it's head and shoulders better than other versions of I've made but it was very good. 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×