• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unsweetened nut butter uses

blbst36

I grabbed a bunch of Justin's "Classic" peanut and almond butter recently.  I didn't realize that they are UNsweetened until I put the horror in my mouth.  I thought classic just meant plain.  Now, I'm stuck with a bunch of packets I need to use up.  I don't like nut flavors with savory foods, so I thought I would ask here.  

Any ideas aside from just adding sugar?  Any ideas how much sugar to add to a recipe if I use them in a recipe that calls for regular nut butter?

Thanks in advance.

24 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Add milk chocolate 

How would I do that?  Just melt it and mix it in?

18 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

Make cookies?

That's what I was leaning towards, but most recipes account for sugar in the nut butter, so I don't know how much more to add.

Add confectioner's sugar to the nut butter until you like the way it tastes. Granulated sugar won't dissolve. Then maybe add a little bit more before you add the nut butter to the cookies.

When I make those "Magic in the Middles" cookies (it's a King Arthur recipe, you can find it on their website), they add confectioner's sugar to regular peanut butter for the filling. Regular peanut butter is plenty sweet as it is, but it doesn't seem overly sweet when I add more sugar before using it for this cookie.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

I make my own nut butter with just freshly roasted nuts. I have not had any issues using them as-is. That said, IMO, many cookies are good without being super sweet -the butter, etc. really shines there. Like shortbread.

This poses the same problem as unsweetened nut butter.  You may like it, but you are used to it, I am not.  If I make cookies with no adjusting for the sweetness, I am pretty sure they aren't going to taste good to me, either.  I don't want to waste all the ingredients to make cookies only to throw them out as inedible to me.

4 hours ago, MelissaH said:

You could also mix in a bit of honey or maple syrup. I really like the packets of Justin's almond butter with maple.

I did buy some with honey and vanilla (not a maple fan), but that's another option, thanks :) 

22 hours ago, cakewalk said:

Add confectioner's sugar to the nut butter until you like the way it tastes. Granulated sugar won't dissolve. Then maybe add a little bit more before you add the nut butter to the cookies.

When I make those "Magic in the Middles" cookies (it's a King Arthur recipe, you can find it on their website), they add confectioner's sugar to regular peanut butter for the filling. Regular peanut butter is plenty sweet as it is, but it doesn't seem overly sweet when I add more sugar before using it for this cookie.

Thanks for the tip!

21 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Yup - but better if you temper it 

Huh - might try that.  I've never tempered before :)

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!  :D