Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chris Hennes

Modernist Bread: French Lean Bread (MB Contest Topic #1)

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I split the lean dough into 2 boules. Proof done at room temp under bowls.

 

CSO to bread baking at 450 F, 25 minutes. No preheat. First was kind of dark. Second at 425 under foil after 10 min. Might try 425 no foil next.

 

 

 

What was the recipe dough weight, 1 kg?  If so, how did you mix it?  Mixing has been the problem here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

What was the recipe dough weight, 1 kg?  If so, how did you mix it?  Mixing has been the problem here.

 

yup - around 1 kg - mixed by hand - it had the folds to develop the gluten.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another batch at home today - again in the CSO - 425 bread mode - a bit of foil for the last 5 min / then flipped over and did 5 min convection to brown the bottom.  Pizza stone not good if not preheated! Need a chunk of metal for the home CSO.

 

IMG_7608.thumb.JPG.bc263cba997017abde6c54333df2e939.JPG

 

IMG_7612.thumb.JPG.ce774d7818041a5ef5b14b65a4c9fea7.JPG

 

IMG_7614.thumb.JPG.4990a2264a0afca764a9a369ffde8c68.JPG

 

what's left 20 min out of the oven!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Another batch at home today - again in the CSO - 425 bread mode - a bit of foil for the last 5 min / then flipped over and did 5 min convection to brown the bottom.  Pizza stone not good if not preheated! Need a chunk of metal for the home CSO.

 

IMG_7608.thumb.JPG.bc263cba997017abde6c54333df2e939.JPG

 

IMG_7612.thumb.JPG.ce774d7818041a5ef5b14b65a4c9fea7.JPG

 

IMG_7614.thumb.JPG.4990a2264a0afca764a9a369ffde8c68.JPG

 

what's left 20 min out of the oven!

 

Have you vermin in your kitchen?

 

I solved my bottom problem with a preheated aluminum sandwiched Cuisinart baking dish* that just fits the CSO.  I had my fill of soft, white powdered bottoms in my youth.  And I hate the smell of A&D.

 

 

*the bottom of a Cuisinart chicken steamer.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to throw my hat in the bread rings! Since life and bread schedules aren't always compatible, I threw this in the fridge once all of the ingredients were mixed after the autolyse, then I added an extra half hour and four edge fold to the bulk ferment phase. I'm pretty happy with how both loaves came out! (Size difference mostly due to uneven dividing, though I think I got a little more rise out of the second loaf with the longer proof; I did these one at a time in a dutch oven.)

 

I will note that the bottoms of these (and my country-style loaves) came out a little blacker than I'm used to. I followed the cooking times to a tee, which are a little longer than I'm used to, for better or worse. That said, I like the color I got on the rest of the bread, and the bottoms weren't inedible or anything, so I'm not sure how much I care?

 

lean_french_crumb.jpg

lean_french_whole.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, thepelkus said:

Time to throw my hat in the bread rings! Since life and bread schedules aren't always compatible, I threw this in the fridge once all of the ingredients were mixed after the autolyse, then I added an extra half hour and four edge fold to the bulk ferment phase. I'm pretty happy with how both loaves came out! (Size difference mostly due to uneven dividing, though I think I got a little more rise out of the second loaf with the longer proof; I did these one at a time in a dutch oven.)

 

I will note that the bottoms of these (and my country-style loaves) came out a little blacker than I'm used to. I followed the cooking times to a tee, which are a little longer than I'm used to, for better or worse. That said, I like the color I got on the rest of the bread, and the bottoms weren't inedible or anything, so I'm not sure how much I care?

 

lean_french_crumb.jpg

lean_french_whole.jpg

 

Interesting some of us have been challenged to get enough browning on our bottoms.  Nice picture.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

Have you vermin in your kitchen?

 

I solved my bottom problem with a preheated aluminum sandwiched Cuisinart baking dish* that just fits the CSO.  I had my fill of soft, white powdered bottoms in my youth.  And I hate the smell of A&D.

 

 

*the bottom of a Cuisinart chicken steamer.

 

 

Husband and child - those are vermin I suppose!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to freeze 1/2 of the recipe for about a week.  Defrosted, let it proof for couple of hours.  Totally satisfactory.

 

IMG_0358.thumb.JPG.3d777555e97c96be7770be7ee41d1e10.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first attempt at French lean bread, 24 hours in the fridge really developed the flavour.  Here are pictures of the crumb before and after my 3 boys found the loaf:

Resized_20171121_155500.jpeg

20171121_071716.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Similar Content

    • By kostbill
      Hello.
      I would like to buy some pectinex ultra sp-l.
      However I am worried about the temperature during the shipping time.
      I read that the storage temperature should be between 2 and 8 C. It works best from 15 to 50 C, and if it stays a lot of time in 25 C, it will gradually be deactivated.
       
      It needs a week to come here (Greece), then will it affect its abilities?
       
      Do you know if I can find a document somewhere that explains the gradual loss of power as a function of time and temperature?
      Did you have any experience with pectinex not working well due to bad storage?
       
      Thanks.
    • By Galchic
      Hello, folks, thanks for reading.
       
      My husband thinks, I should start selling my popcorn seasonings (which I make for my family), it’s a good product. But I'm not sure if it’s interesting to other people... So, what do you think, guys?
       
      Our story: 
      We’ve bought an air popper machine, but popcorn came out pretty tasteless. Then, we’ve bought different “popcorn seasoning” mixes... But it always ends with all the seasoning at the bottom of the bowl. Then, we've added butter, oil and so on before seasoning...  we got soggy, chewy popcorn. Lot’s of disappointments…
       
      When we almost gave up… the magic happened! I figured out the way to make seasonings that:
      Stick to popcorn, but not sticky to fingers (or T-shirt  , Easy to apply, May be pre cooked in bulk and stored… And popcorn appears crunchy, tasty, thoroughly covered with seasoning.  
      Sounds good, yep? Now, when I want to treat myself  - I only need 2 mins to turn tasteless popped popcorn to a real treat.  
      The only moment - it request 1 extra effort: after you toss it over popcorn, you need to microwave it for 1 min, and stir after.
       
      So, I was wondering, if you like popcorn like myself - would this seasoning be interesting for you to purchase? Are you ready for a little extra work (microwave & stir) in the goal to flavor popcorn, or it feels too much effort?
       
      As I have no experience in manufacturing and retail, your answers would help me to make a very important decision - to dive in or not... 
       
      Thanks in advance for your answers, it means the world to me.
       
    • By curls
      So, what is everyone doing for the pastry & baking side of Easter?
       
      I'm working on the following chocolates: fruit & nut eggs, hollow bunnies, Jelly Belly filled bunnies, coconut bunnies, dragons (filled with rice krispies & chocolate), peanut butter hedgehogs, and malted milk hens. Hoping to finish my dark chocolate production today and get started on all my milk chocolate items.
       
      My father-in-law will be baking the traditional family Easter bread a day or two before Easter. Its an enriched bread and he makes two versions -- one with raisins and one without (I prefer the one with raisins).
       

       
      And I was lucky enough to spot this couple in the sale moulds stock at last year's eGullet chocolate & confections workshop in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario. These love bunnies help so very much with Easter chocolate production!  ;-)

    • By lindaj1
      Is there any recipe from the modernist universe or any other galaxy to make ketogenic (low carb) puff pastry and strudel type doughs?  Unusual ingredients OK.  There must be a way...
    • By haresfur
      I got to thinking after the disgusting job of separating globs of fat from sous vide short ribs and debating never doing them that way again. If the fat renders out in a braise, but not in the sous vide, what temperature would you need to turn the fat liquid to get rid of it? Is it below well-done or do you really have to cook the shit out of it? Is it just temperature or a time&temperature thing?
       
      Along those lines, what happens with marbled, tender cuts? where is the sweet spot between solid fat and something more palatable?
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...