• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Orzo: side and salad

rotuts

Orzo  is new to me.   Im not sure why ive overlooked it , probably because its close to Ouzo , and I can't stand anise.

go figure    

o.O

a while back I tried a Greek chicken and orzo item from TJ's :

GSC4.thumb.jpg.a5281d7a51419865bb79b56197a972fe.jpg.cd424c3dfbf21846f5c1ece08fdb2c97.jpg

here it is plated.    I was determined to make this myself , as Ive had some experience w SV'd CkBr.

here is the orzo ' salad '   not as hint of anise !

Orzo.thumb.jpg.99df6ff27915c1cab97985d4ee4aaf4b.jpg

there is a middle easter area on the way to Cambridgee MA  that has several ME stores.   they sell all sorts of olives in bulk and have a huge selection

of feta in vats.   Im a big fan of Bulgarian.   its quite creamy.  greet :  too salty .  French not bad , but the Bulgarian is better

the above orzo was cooked in the FastraPasta.   I over cooked it by a minus , but notes were made

[ ed.: BTW  FP makes a larger micro pasta item  so there are now two.  if you are going to make a ton of pasta for a take out salad take a peek ]

the above has TJ's kalamata olive oil , kalamata olives  , bulgarian feta , and sun dried tomatoes.    Penzey's greek oregano  etc

it was quite good, an would have been = or better than the Tj's if Id FP'd the orzo one minute less

what sorts of orzo sides / salads do you make ?

• Like 2

How I learned to love orzo  and influence other people to love it too.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

An easy and tasty side dish.  I don't really follow a recipe but this is close to what I do.  

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I hadn't cooked orzo in years when I was trying to use more whole grains and but I recently enjoyed the side dish of orzo with lemon and parsley that I made from Diana Henry's Simple.  I served it with salmon but it would go well with shrimp, chicken.

The recipe is online here.

I'll be following this thread for favorites that I should try.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I hadn't cooked orzo in years when I was trying to use more whole grains and but I recently enjoyed the side dish of orzo with lemon and parsley that I made from Diana Henry's Simple.  I served it with salmon but it would go well with shrimp, chicken.

The recipe is online here.

I'll be following this thread for favorites that I should try.

How could you not like a recipe which is described in the following terms:

"It's also the most terrific telly food – snuggle into your sofa with a bowl and eat with a spoon."

I'm so there!  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Hope this isn't behind a wall. Orzo  with peas and parsley pesto. It showed up in my mailbox today.  Does look good.

My 2004 eG Blog

Sorry I got bit upset.  I deleted my rant. 

BTW I'm looking forward to making a orzo dish. I thought about many times but never have.

I'm waiting until I get to the local, read that as only, Italian deli. They carry Dececco pasta.

Edited by Paul Fink (log)

Simple, fattening but comforting as hell when your mind or tummy is hurting-- orzo is my comfort food. 

Orzo with a knob of butter and either Rao's or Victoria's vodka sauce and a nice crusty loaf of French bread.