• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ingredients via Internet

JoNorvelleWalker

5 hours ago, Jim D. said:

@andiesenji, some time ago you posted about real cinnamon vs. cassia and (I think) pointed out that what most of us buy in stores is really the latter. So is this Frontier brand you mention the real thing? My last bottle from the grocery store says it is Vietnamese cinnamon, but I'm not sure how to tell the difference.

Here is Frontier's web site, which explains in detail the difference between the various varieties.  

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

After filling the shakers, I had some of the ground cinnamon left over and  used it in a bread pudding, in an apple crisp, and in some spiced syrup.

I also have some apple butter cooking but just started it this morning in a slow cooker so it will be some hours before I can actually evaluate the flavor.

It is extremely pungent and the flavor is superior to some Penzey's I received as a promotional item last September. 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

After getting my international banking problems resolved I placed my order with parmashop.com about midnight yesterday.  The package arrived today.  I am impressed with UPS as well as parmashop.

Unfortunately I have taken ill so I did not do any more than open the insulated box and transfer the vacuum sealed kilo of cheese to the refrigerator.  Noting as I did so that a kilogram is rather a lot.

In addition to the 48 month Parmigiano Reggiano, I could not leave behind a 25 year Tradizional Balsamic that is currently on sale.

And then there were the dried porcini.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

After getting my international banking problems resolved I placed my order with parmashop.com about midnight yesterday.  The package arrived today.  I am impressed with UPS as well as parmashop.

Unfortunately I have taken ill so I did not do any more than open the insulated box and transfer the vacuum sealed kilo of cheese to the refrigerator.  Noting as I did so that a kilogram is rather a lot.

In addition to the 48 month Parmigiano Reggiano, I could not leave behind a 25 year Tradizional Balsamic that is currently on sale.

And then there were the dried porcini.

Please post when you try the dried porcini.  I usually purchase from Marx Foods - Dried wild porcini. $58.00 per pound.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

57 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

Please post when you try the dried porcini.  I usually purchase from Marx Foods - Dried wild porcini. $58.00 per pound.

The price of these porcini worked out to $138.48 per pound.  For the lower of the two quality grades.  Can't say I know the difference between wild and not wild porcini, however these porcini are described thus:

"From the land of mushrooms VALTARO, a selection of exquisite dried mushrooms.

• Pack of Dried Boletus Edulis mushrooms Porcini special, gr.50.

White and intense perfume are characteristics of mushrooms Valtaro.
    Porcine mushrooms collected in secular forests of fir and beech, naturally-dried, preserved all the perfume and fragrance of the forest, the spirit of rustic sensations.
    Store in a cool, dry place

Expedition in Europe, United States of America and Japan "

Nonetheless, thanks to the magic of google translate, I learn Porcini Valtaro is a mushroom and morel monger of Parma.  Valtaro deals in wholesale quantities.  If you must cut out the middleman, their email is:

info@porcinivaltaro.it

The Porcini I have gotten from Marx Foods have been excellent.  The flavor is amazing.

This topic is developing into a really good resource, albeit a potentially expensive one.  It has already caused me to spend way too much time exploring Jamón Ibérico de Bellota and related items.  I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I have it in mind for an upcoming gathering.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, rustwood said:

This topic is developing into a really good resource, albeit a potentially expensive one.  It has already caused me to spend way too much time exploring Jamón Ibérico de Bellota and related items.  I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I have it in mind for an upcoming gathering.

If you get a jamon, you'll need a slicer.

https://smile.amazon.com/Andres-Garrido-Gondola-Ham-Stand-Jamonero/dp/B0084SROMC/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1484148110&sr=8-14&keywords=jamon+holder

• Like 1

On 1/11/2017 at 7:22 AM, gfweb said:

Or if you have a little more room,

BERKEL - Fly Wheel Slicer VOLANO TRIBUTE - Gold Finish and Flower Flywheel - Handmade in Italy - REDir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B013GLQ4N

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted link to be Amazon-friendly (log)
  • Like 2

Notes from the underbelly

Thanks for all of the enabling :D  - especially you @paulraphael!  I was thinking more along the lines of getting a variety of things to sample than going in for a whole ham. 

@weedy, I will be interested in hearing how that secreto turns out.  That is one of the cuts I am considering getting from Wagshal's. I am trying not to be tempted by the Wagyu ribeyes they have on "sale".

Edited by rustwood (log)
  • Like 1

I order chocolate online these days. Mostly from World Wide Chocolates, but sometimes from Chocosphere. Both have amazing selections and good prices.

The interwebs is also the best source for techie ingredients. L'Epicerie, Modernist Pantry, La Sanctuaire, TIC Gums Chef's Store, Willpowder, probably a few others.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

On 1/10/2017 at 8:08 PM, andiesenji said:

I am not seeing dried porcini at Marx Foods, only fresh and frozen.  It may be a coincidence, but the wild north american porcini are $58.50/lb at Earthy Delights. - have you tried them?  I am a little tempted to try their Dried Asian Porcini AA for $22/lb - "wild-harvested and processed in Asia, then are inspected & tested here in the United States. Guaranteed to meet the highest standards of purity & quality!". 

3 minutes ago, rustwood said:

I am a little tempted to try their Dried Asian Porcini AA for $22/lb - "wild-harvested and processed in Asia, then are inspected & tested here in the United States. Guaranteed to meet the highest standards of purity & quality!". 

I regularly buy "Asian" porcini, mainly because I'm in Asia. Nothing wrong with them. From Yunnan province in southern China.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, rustwood said:

I am not seeing dried porcini at Marx Foods, only fresh and frozen.  It may be a coincidence, but the wild north american porcini are $58.50/lb at Earthy Delights. - have you tried them?  I am a little tempted to try their Dried Asian Porcini AA for $22/lb - "wild-harvested and processed in Asia, then are inspected & tested here in the United States. Guaranteed to meet the highest standards of purity & quality!". 

Marx Foods/Marx Pantry   

1 hour ago, andiesenji said:

Ah, my bad - I see now that the Marx Foods search does not include Marx Pantry items.

@liuzhou, I appreciate that there is nothing wrong with the Asian porcini - although that site is obviously reinforcing the concept.  I just don't know if they are used exactly the same or if, for example, you might want/need to use more of the Asian sourced variety in a mushroom risotto.  I have the same question with respect to the Italian porcini that sell for $128/lb in my local market (in small packages).

1 minute ago, rustwood said:

Ah, my bad - I see now that the Marx Foods search does not include Marx Pantry items.

@liuzhou, I appreciate that there is nothing wrong with the Asian porcini - although that site is obviously reinforcing the concept.  I just don't know if they are used exactly the same or if, for example, you might want/need to use more of the Asian sourced variety in a mushroom risotto.  I have the same question with respect to the Italian porcini that sell for $128/lb in my local market (in small packages).

Yes. They can be used exactly the same as porcini from anywhere else. They are the same species. They don't know where they were born!

• Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 1/11/2017 at 10:04 PM, rustwood said:

Thanks for all of the enabling :D  - especially you @paulraphael!  I was thinking more along the lines of getting a variety of things to sample than going in for a whole ham. 

@weedy, I will be interested in hearing how that secreto turns out.  That is one of the cuts I am considering getting from Wagshal's. I am trying not to be tempted by the Wagyu ribeyes they have on "sale".

One thing I'll say is that I've had it come from different packagers with noticeably different cuts. Sometimes (and my pref) it comes as a 1/4" ish steak. And sometimes as more like a lot of much thinner strips. 

Wagshal seems to ship to the strip variety whereas I've had both from Tienda. 

So i'm sticking with Tienda and trying to discuss with them which manufacturer to spec. 

Having said all that:

it turned out great. Beautifully tender and still pink inside even after a quick pan fry to brown the outside. Needless to say the thinner ones end up with more gradient than the thicker cuts. 

I served it with a red pipian sauce and some habanero quick pickled onions. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, weedy said:

One thing I'll say is that I've had it come from different packagers with noticeably different cuts. Sometimes (and my pref) it comes as a 1/4" ish steak. And sometimes as more like a lot of much thinner strips. 

Wagshal seems to ship to the strip variety whereas I've had both from Tienda.

Good to know.  Thanks much.

FWIW, I ordered the Jamón Tasting Trio from La Tienda and had a little tasting during the Packers-Falcons game today.  La Tienda shipped it the morning after I ordered and packed it very well.

We apparently aren't worthy of the iberico and iberico de bellota because everyone preferred the serrano.  I also bought some spicy chorizo.  We enjoyed it, but it didn't strike me as obviously better than some of locally produced chorizo I have had in the past.    We had a good time trying them out though.  The sampler, along with the chorizo, some bread and manchego cheese was more than enough for 6 adults.  At some point I would still like to do the same sort of thing with one or more of the raw iberico cuts alongside high end heritage pork that is raised and sold not far from us.

• Like 4