• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Selling at a small market

FrogPrincesse

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

I'll second that, if no-one else stakes out the territory. 

When I was doing farmers markets, there were two pet-food vendors and one bakery all doing a booming business at the same market with their fresh-baked pet treats. 

One of our local pet stores sells decorated cookies for dogs that frankly don't look like they are that tasty (pretty but not tasty) for seriously absurd amounts of $ per cookie. They seem to sell well, too. (By not tasty I mean I strongly suspect they have all the flavor of sweetened cardboard, based on the ingredients and appearance. I know some dogs eat anything, but I've had dogs who took their time eating and really seemed to enjoy different flavors and I think they would be offended to be offered one of those cookies.)

Anyhow, I agree I probably wouldn't try to compete too much if someone is already doing it, but if not - even just one type in little bags will probably do well, as people pick them up for stocking stuffers for the dogs or as gifts when visiting someone with a dog, that sort of thing.

Here is a picture of the booth. I did a mock-up on the kitchen counter before going to the market, so I had an idea on how I wanted to place items on the table. I had my copper jam pot and cookbooks as a conversation point. All my jam inventory was under the table;, I only presented one jar of each kind on the table. The cookies were on baking trays, all packaged and ready to go. Signage was handmade as I ran out of time to print things. :)

IMG_1814

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 11

Thanks so much for this photo!  I really wanted to see your booth, and I'll bet I'm not the only one.  The copper jelly pot is a nice touch.  Did you feel like you had to watch it carefully to make sure it didn't walk away?

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Just now, Smithy said:

Thanks so much for this photo!  I really wanted to see your booth, and I'll bet I'm not the only one.  The copper jelly pot is a nice touch.  Did you feel like you had to watch it carefully to make sure it didn't walk away?

You are very welcome, Nancy! Here are more pictures of the booth that I took before the beginning of the market.

Market

Market

Market

I wasn't too worried about someone casually walking away with my copper pot, as it's rather heavy and bulky (and I didn't leave my booth). We had one little girl try to run away with one of the bracelets my daughter was selling, but her mom caught her and made sure to pay for it. :)

• Like 3

Just a minor criticism: displaying only 1 item per type, like you did for the jams, is a deterrent for sales. It's much better to display multiple items, like you did for the cookies.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

Just now, teonzo said:

Just a minor criticism: displaying only 1 item per type, like you did for the jams, is a deterrent for sales. It's much better to display multiple items, like you did for the cookies.

You know, I went back and forth on that. I didn't have much space on the table so I ended up only showing one of each. But maybe I could have displayed 2 or 3 or each kind? That might have required some type of vertical storage/shelves though, as the table was already a bit crowded...

Department stores carry a kind of stepped wire rack, usually used for canned-goods cupboards or spice cupboards so you can see what's in there. I used those on my table at the farmer's market, for exactly similar reasons. It works well with small jars like the ones you were using. 

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Your booth is so inviting.  The type of place where i would like to linger and get to know you.  Having the cookbooks on display was a wonderful idea.  I am always interested in whee people get their inspiration.  i'm so happy it went well and that you shared it with us!

Also the doggies treats are a good idea.  Our daughter bakes them as gifts for her dog owing friends every year.

She has three different sizes of bone shaped cookie cutters.  

Edited by IowaDee (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, teonzo said:

Teo

I have to say this struck me as a potential sales discouragement. A few things went through my mind including:

Will I have to order it because she's only showing one jar?

But I have three people on my guest list and I really want this flavour for all of them.

I think it would be better to show three or four of each variety if you do this again.

But I really think you did great on the booth and you obviously worked very hard to make the best jams possible.  Definitely a little more printed matter if only in point form on a blackboard stressing local and organic and unique.  Really selling your product to the public.   But I still think for a first time you did a great job.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

37 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

Your booth is so inviting.  The type of place where i would like to linger and get to know you.  Having the cookbooks on display was a wonderful idea.  I am always interested in whee people get their inspiration.  i'm so happy it went well and that you shared it with us!

Also the doggies treats are a good idea.  Our daughter bakes them as gifts for her dog owing friends every year.

She has three different sizes of bone shaped cookie cutters.  

When I do cut out dog cookies, to make them more festive without adding a lot of sugar, I use the egg yolk method - egg yolk, water, food coloring to make a colored egg wash. As long as you aren't using a recipe that needs long enough in the oven that it browns the egg too much, it comes out nice and a bit more fun looking. (One recipe I've used has you flip the treats half way through, so for those I do the first bake, then flip and paint quickly, then back in the oven.)