• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven

Perhaps due to the extra-long heat treatment, I got a nice surprise with my yogurt experiment. It turned into labneh! All I had to do was pour off the whey. I had intended to make Greek yogurt out of it anyway, so no harm done and something to try again some day.

Edited by Robin G
typo (log)
  • Like 3

I made a plain popover in the style of @curls from the CSO thread, using bacon fat. 400F (205C) for 22 min, rear element, fan high, no steam. This hernia formed on the side facing the fan. Maybe reducing the fan speed would produce a better form? Or perhaps some steam. Anybody have advice on this?

It tasted fine regardless, with a bit of butter. :D

popover.thumb.jpg.3a810e6f68d5db56431bf560ef81f542.jpg

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Robin G said:

I made a plain popover in the style of @curls from the CSO thread, using bacon fat. 400F (205C) for 22 min, rear element, fan high, no steam. This hernia formed on the side facing the fan. Maybe reducing the fan speed would produce a better form? Or perhaps some steam. Anybody have advice on this?

It tasted fine regardless, with a bit of butter. :D

popover.thumb.jpg.3a810e6f68d5db56431bf560ef81f542.jpg

When using the rear element fan speed is locked on high.  I would try using the bottom element, no fan, no steam.

• Thanks 1

Made a whole chicken tonight. I’ve got to say I’ve never seen a chicken hold onto so many of its juices. You can squish around the liquids underneath the bubbles in the skin. Lots came pouring out as I carved the bird. 

The chicken was cooked perfectly. I’m just not sure if I like my chicken this juicy. The jury is still out. 

Cooked some brussel sprouts from the garden for 10 minutes at 212 with 100% humidity. Threw two knobs of butter, salt, and pepper inside the pan before placing it in the oven. Easy side dish as the chicken was resting. 

F1E1E3AB-1F7B-4FB7-A4A9-03E42AC5A5FC.jpeg

1789FBD8-891E-43BB-951A-8B6E7729CC63.jpeg

Edited by CanadianHomeChef (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Do you all see steam rising from the vent at the bottom right in the front of the oven. 

it’s literally like a kettle at 100%steam. 

A620FE82-D081-4EC8-A5BB-D4C3B43BC4DD.jpeg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, KAD said:

Do you all see steam rising from the vent at the bottom right in the front of the oven. 

it’s literally like a kettle at 100%steam. 

A620FE82-D081-4EC8-A5BB-D4C3B43BC4DD.jpeg

That's why there's a little caution label there.

Yeah I did see that label but even so I was pretty surprised at how much steam comes out from there. 

first sourdough bread in the steam oven today. Tastes delicious but just a bit more char than I like. 

4FE78CF0-7553-451D-8051-7D665EE641C8.jpeg

DF11171E-1CE2-46A9-91A4-7A6332534D06.jpeg

87119845-C430-4297-9A75-75AEA3E6D2AE.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2
11 hours ago, KAD said:

It’s literally like a kettle at 100%steam. 

In my experience so far, this is highly dependent on the oven temp. While incubating yogurt at ~43-44C, I ran the oven all night and most of the next day, and observed no steam escaping through that vent. The level of the reservoir did not appear to change. However, when "sauteeing" mushrooms SV at 87C for an hour, I saw a fair amount of steam escaping, and the water level dropped noticeably. I also ended up with water in the drip tray, and on the bottom of the oven (I was using the rear element).

I imagine baking bread will really pump out the steam.

All your pictures fill me with jealousy!  Mine arrived last week but is dead out of the box.  The temperature sensor is locked at thinking the oven's 613.8 degrees inside, so heat never turns on.  Now I'm stuck waiting three more weeks for a replacement.  Not the best first impression for me, but I have your pictures to tide me over until then.

• Sad 4
1 hour ago, peterm2 said:

All your pictures fill me with jealousy!  Mine arrived last week but is dead out of the box.  The temperature sensor is locked at thinking the oven's 613.8 degrees inside, so heat never turns on.  Now I'm stuck waiting three more weeks for a replacement.  Not the best first impression for me, but I have your pictures to tide me over until then.

Ouch.

“What is called sound economics is very often what mirrors the needs of the respectably affluent.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

bah. That sucks. But hang in there. I’m very impressed with this oven so far. 

my partner tells me yesterday: yknow i kinda like this oven. 

and that’s not a normal response. The normal response is an exaggerated sigh...another appliance? Really?

And the second loaf of bread had a much better rise. It’s still cooling else I would have posted a crumb picture too. 

5A6C0CA8-286A-4C51-BCFF-6FF4F58060D7.jpeg

B4FFFDE1-5F03-4716-9E37-EAA4B5A7F1B4.jpeg

• Like 4
On 10/21/2020 at 10:15 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The toast recipe is back up on the anova site...but it is a very different recipe:

https://oven.anovaculinary.com/recipe/vRx7WOeVrgodAM0yePQ8

I enjoyed reading it in the interval between me pushing down my toaster's handle and it popping back up. Had enough spare time to muse on the animus against unitaskers in the kitchen... :P

• Haha 1

“What is called sound economics is very often what mirrors the needs of the respectably affluent.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning