• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

3 hours ago, KAD said:

Oh and my unit also flickers.

😞

Not a big deal but a bit distracting. 

Just out of interest, did you update the firmware?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

All your pictures fill me with jealousy!  Mine arrived last week but is dead out of the box.  The temperature sensor is locked at thinking the oven's 613.8 degrees inside, so heat never turns on.  Now I'm stuck waiting three more weeks for a replacement.  Not the best first impression for me, but I have your pictures to tide me over until then.

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, peterm2 said:

All your pictures fill me with jealousy!  Mine arrived last week but is dead out of the box.  The temperature sensor is locked at thinking the oven's 613.8 degrees inside, so heat never turns on.  Now I'm stuck waiting three more weeks for a replacement.  Not the best first impression for me, but I have your pictures to tide me over until then.

Ouch.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I noticed that after 14 hours on full steam the drip tray starts to overflow.  But amazingly the water level in the tank scarcely goes down at all.

On 10/21/2020 at 10:15 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The toast recipe is back up on the anova site...but it is a very different recipe:

https://oven.anovaculinary.com/recipe/vRx7WOeVrgodAM0yePQ8

I enjoyed reading it in the interval between me pushing down my toaster's handle and it popping back up. Had enough spare time to muse on the animus against unitaskers in the kitchen... :P

• Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

It's all too easy to turn off the oven trying to close the door.*

*unless you're wearing silicone gloves, in which case you can't turn off the oven.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, tikidoc said:

I got my shipping notice this morning, and it arrives tomorrow! What should I do first???

Pay your chiropractor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

The Silpats are now covered in apple slices that are beginning their journey towards dehydration.  I've never dehydrated anything before now, save for me before my mai tai.  It will be an experiment.

Per the anova recipe I prepared an acid bath.  For a liter and a half of water I chose two teaspoons of ascorbic acid and three teaspoons of malic acid.  For what it's worth I threw in a tablespoon of dextrose.  Don't know how the apples will turn out but the bath was pretty tasty.

One observation, on the two provided shelves I could only accommodate four apples.  Not an efficient method to put by the bounty of the season.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The Silpats are now covered in apple slices that are beginning their journey towards dehydration.  I've never dehydrated anything before now, save for me before my mai tai.  It will be an experiment.

Per the anova recipe I prepared an acid bath.  For a liter and a half of water I chose two teaspoons of ascorbic acid and three teaspoons of malic acid.  For what it's worth I threw in a tablespoon of dextrose.  Don't know how the apples will turn out but the bath was pretty tasty.

One observation, on the two provided shelves I could only accommodate four apples.  Not an efficient method to put by the bounty of the season.

Loving the silpat idea. 

The oven has enough supports for 4 rows? Wonder if getting extra racks would be worth it, not so much for putting massive quantities away but would be cool making roll up fruit sheets 

30 minutes ago, EatingBen said:

Loving the silpat idea. 

The oven has enough supports for 4 rows? Wonder if getting extra racks would be worth it, not so much for putting massive quantities away but would be cool making roll up fruit sheets 

The anova recipe suggests buying extra racks.  I would too if I were selling racks.

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, EatingBen said:

Loving the silpat idea. 

It looks like regular cooling racks fit nicely in the oven, so for light duty stuff like dehydrating, maybe worth reusing regular cooling racks.

And I love the idea of throwing a silpat on the rack, every time I used to make chicken jerky treats for my dog, the racks would sit for hours in the sink to get rid of the little crusted on pieces of chicken. Silpat!! Doh!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EatingBen said:

Loving the silpat idea. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

The silpats don't impede the drying?

I'm sure the Silpats have an effect, however these are the mesh Silpats that promote airflow, not the solid Silpats one might use for cookies.

• Like 1

I'm trying to figure out the best place to place the APO. My counter space is very, very limited so I need to look into alternatives.

One would be to place it in a door-less under-counter cabinet space. Is there an issue with having the APO in an enclosed space (top, bottom, back & 2 sides, with an open air front)? I looked on the Anova site (spec sheet) but didn't see this discussed; also dropped them a note but haven't heard back.

Another alternative is to have it on the lanai (in a corner out of the weather).

Any reactions to these ideas?  Thanks!

• Like 1

Has anyone gotten the hang of multistage recipes?  For most of my working life life I've been involved in programming of one sort or another but I can't quite get it.  If anova has a programming tutorial some place I missed it.  Things happen but not always when I expect, what I expect, or what I want.

Programming is a powerful feature if you can control it.  Tonight I was baking bread.  I turned off the steam stage of my bake and the app screen went white.  I punched the panel of the oven (not wearing silicone gloves, of course) -- then I used the panel controls to continue the bake without steam.  No harm was done but the experience was frustrating.

Have faith, summer is coming to Bora Bora, we are almost there.

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Personally I would not put the oven in an enclosed space.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but don't they advertise it as being ok in an enclosed space? Can you let us know why you feel otherwise? And I'm leaning towards trusting your opinion!