• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calvados for Cooking

Shel_B

There are several recipes I want to experiment with that contain Calvados as an ingredient.  I know very little about Calvados.  Can someone recommend a good brand that works well in desserts such as this French Apple CakeI don't want to spend a lot of money, but do want a good quality product.  Hmm ... is Calvados a brand?  If so, are there other brands or liquors that would be a good substitute?

... Shel

Here are the first 3 links on Google--from NY Times, Wikipedia, and a site that ranks various brands of calvados.  And no, it's not a brand.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/02/dining/calvados-a-taste-of-apples-and-fall-the-pour.html?_r=0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvados

http://gearpatrol.com/2015/11/05/calvados-buying-guide-cocktail-recipes/

I have a bottle of Coquerel Calvados sitting around that I have used for both French Apple Cakes as well as things like applesauce etc. I don't think it is the best, it was just the best our grocery store had when I bought it, but for both of those applications it fit the bill perfectly. I'm not sure I'd use it to sip like a fine brandy, there are probably other much better Calvados out there for that, but the Coquerel I think is readily available, not too expensive, and is fine for cooking.

Edited by Yiannos (log)
  • Like 1

Thanks to all for your help.  The local BevMo has Boulard Calvados 50ml size for $6.99.  Seems like a good and inexpensive way to start learning about Calvados.  I'll head over there later today or tomorrow.  Maybe they have other small bottles so I can sample a few choices.

... Shel

4 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Applejack or apple brandy would be the closest American equivalent.

That opens the door to a lot of options.  I have a source for some excellent French cider and apple juice - from Normandy, I believe.  Could they be an option in some situations.

... Shel

11 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

That opens the door to a lot of options.  I have a source for some excellent French cider and apple juice - from Normandy, I believe.  Could they be an option in some situations.

To drink with cake, yes. To use in cake, I don't think so. You need something with a more concentrated flavor since you are only using a tablespoon in that recipe.

• Like 1

Coincidentally I had planned on making an upside down apple cake today.  When I read the recipe, it called for partially cooking the apples on the stovetop with butter, cinnamon and water.  I promptly subbed the calvados for the water which I probably would not have thought of had Shel_B not asked the question.  Just pulled it out of the oven and it smells wonderful.  So thanks,  Shel_B, for asking.

• Like 3

I'm finishing a blind tasting of 10 Apple brandies.  Some calvados and some American apply brandy.   So I now have a limited frame of reference as to different styles 

I recently used some of my sample leftovers in my ChefSteps chicken liver pate. But that's been the extent of my cooking with apple brandy 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2016 at 10:45 AM, Shel_B said:

There are several recipes I want to experiment with that contain Calvados as an ingredient.  I know very little about Calvados.  Can someone recommend a good brand that works well in desserts such as this French Apple CakeI don't want to spend a lot of money, but do want a good quality product.  Hmm ... is Calvados a brand?  If so, are there other brands or liquors that would be a good substitute?

That looks good - let us know how it turns out. I use dark (not spiced) rum in the Dorie Greenspan apple cake.