• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tis Hunting Time—A smallish blog

Shelby

Good morning!

I came in from evening meeting with the cats (everyone was in attendance btw), got ready for bed and crawled in......to a big puddle of Scout pee sigh.  I have a liner so it doesn't get to the mattress or anything but Shelby got to "sleep" on the couch last night.  Needless to say I'm not feeling super sharp this morning lol.

Back to yesterday.  The guys went straight from the airport to the field.  They saw a few nice ones ...they don't seem to like to shoot anything the first day though.   Deer peeking through the trees--I think it's a doe, I can't spot any antlers:

thumbnail_IMG_9702.thumb.jpg.87d1007d7eb279781a89c6b55d90c0dd.jpg

Not near as much snow left out there as there is here

thumbnail_IMG_2013.jpg.cbbffeecf03e0dd4f2f5765f04cb6a07.jpg

They took our side by side out so they didn't have to drive the truck clear in to the shooting house.  We just got it--I suspect it isn't as shiny and mud free any more lol.

thumbnail_IMG_2002.jpg.c7b7dcd9944f89de3425509017aa2837.jpg

Inside the shooting house

thumbnail_IMG_2005.jpg.5f2c77a584da2c2e1fd8d2668eb84126.jpg

Meanwhile, I puttered around the house.  Did more cleaning (couldn't tell it now, though--why do I bother when it's sloppy and muddy??) and started cooking.

The broth from the chicken wing ends that we cut up the day before.  I get strangely excited when it gels up like this.

thumbnail_IMG_5400.jpg.7594e69217da316b41ced65741511a66.jpg

I hadn't made a chipped beef cheese ball in a while and I had all the ingredients so that became the appetizer.

thumbnail_IMG_5401.jpg.d690ecd5c51149fe53c0b527a1448bac.jpg

5 oz. of chipped beef, diced (reserve about 1/4 c. to roll the outside of the cheese ball in)

5 diced green onions (reserve some to roll the cheese ball in)

1TB Worcestershire sauce

1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

2 bricks of cream cheese (softened)

Mix it all up, roll in a ball, roll in the reserve onions and beef.

Serve with a sturdy type cracker--I used Wheat Thins

thumbnail_IMG_5402.jpg.fbc069e8db5a207b831a887a3d15795d.jpg

Then I got the pork loin out.  I didn't realize there were two halves in the bag.  Decided that one would be enough for dinner.  Earlier I searched around the web looking for new pork loin recipes.  Nothing really tripped my trigger so I went back to the tried and true.  I seasoned both of the loins up with salt and pepper and pats of butter.  One loin I vacuum packed and froze for another day.  The other I added fresh sage, rosemary and thyme and then vac packed it.  Into the Sous Vide water--2 1/2 hours at 135F.  

thumbnail_IMG_5405.jpg.28ef43b98ad157eca9258c3046871b90.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5406.jpg.73c71548de61ee8304ee918eb0d1a1e8.jpg

While that was cooking I made an apple galette (apples were going south so I had made some apple pie filling in the IP a few days ago).  I was worried the apples might turn into apple sauce after more baking but it worked.

thumbnail_IMG_5408.jpg.a956ded13f4b13564e0099bd79768ae0.jpg

I also made a pot of mashed potatoes--added a chunk of cream cheese and butter.  Nice and creamy.  And a skillet of onions and Brussels sprouts.  The chicken broth came in quite handy.  I used some to add liquid to the sprouts and the rest I made gravy out of.

Pork after searing in a screaming hot cast iron

thumbnail_IMG_5409.jpg.21163fe04179176ce4b3fc958d7c99d2.jpg

And dinner--this was my plate. 

thumbnail_IMG_5410.jpg.0ce344ab93d19cfb551fd2a48edea4c8.jpg

Our friend dished his up much prettier lol

thumbnail_IMG_9706-1.thumb.jpg.a454a4fde8287afab9e926cabc308b22.jpg

Dessert was the apple galette and this super cool new product I got at the liquor store--Whip Shots.  Vodka mixed with whipped cream (except it's not--I don't even think there is any dairy in it). Comes in peppermint, caramel, vanilla and mocha.  Don't even need a glass, just shoot it straight in your mouth lol.

thumbnail_IMG_5411.jpg.f75a79d0a83e00c9b0e0740cccea405b.jpg

OH and this was breakfast this morning--I made it yesterday ...although I could have just gotten up and made it fresh since I was wide awake on the couch lol

thumbnail_IMG_5407.jpg.2787f4adad53f58b6d41238f196eccda.jpg

Wind is switching back to the north in a few hours and rain/snow is coming in.  Might be a day where they come home early and just hang out.  We'll see.  I think I might be getting better at just going with the flow....or maybe not 🤣.  I have stuff to make sandwiches or chili in the freezer so if lunch is wanted I do have something quickish I can do.

I'm off to make a cup of coffee--rare for me but this morning calls for it.

• Like 15

28 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

those were for tenderloins ?

looks like it was cooked perfectly 

how was it flavor wise?

Yes, the tenderloins.

I'm almost certain I got the time and temp from you.  Pork tenderloin was the first thing I ever sous vide :) .  I like this temp.  It's very tender.  Flavor was excellent--I mean, it's store bought so it's not super porky tasting you know?  But it was good.

• Like 2

I'm going to try pork tenderloin sous vided like that, next time I have a chance. It does look perfect. Actually, @gfweb's paillard suggestion sounds good too. Actually, I'm just going to come back to this topic next time I need cooking inspiration!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

8 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I'm going to try pork tenderloin sous vided like that, next time I have a chance. It does look perfect. Actually, @gfweb's paillard suggestion sounds good too. Actually, I'm just going to come back to this topic next time I need cooking inspiration!

I think your darling would like it too....if not he could just dump some of his BBQ sauce on ;) 

It's 2:30 and I have no idea what I'm making for dinner.  I'm fun like that lol.

• Haha 8

How long will your friend be there? The full rifle season? And how long is your deer (rifle) season?

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

11 minutes ago, Smithy said:

How long will your friend be there? The full rifle season? And how long is your deer (rifle) season?

Our friend leaves Monday the 4th.  Season runs from yesterday until the 10th of Dec.  I think a doe season opens back up in January for a week.  As always I hope they get an older dry doe (that means she can't have any little ones).  Our friend always likes the bucks with the huge antlers but boy their meat is tough.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Our friend leaves Monday the 4th.  Season runs from yesterday until the 10th of Dec.  I think a doe season opens back up in January for a week.  As always I hope they get an older dry doe (that means she can't have any little ones).  Our friend always likes the bucks with the huge antlers but boy their meat is tough.

Any success with sous vide on tough deer meat?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Any success with sous vide on tough deer meat?

I have yet to try--which I know might be a bit surprising but when they are so tough we don't usually waste time making roasts or steaks.  It all goes into the grinder for burger.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

. . . Our friend always likes the bucks with the huge antlers but boy their meat is tough.

One of my work friends hunted exclusively for doe because he was hunting for meat rather than display. I'm sure he had plenty of trophies from his younger days lol.

I'm not a hunter but I have been the beneficiary many times - venison, squirrel, rabbits, goose, pheasant, etc. 😋

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

One of my work friends hunted exclusively for doe because he was hunting for meat rather than display. I'm sure he had plenty of trophies from his younger days lol.

I'm not a hunter but I have been the beneficiary many times - venison, squirrel, rabbits, goose, pheasant, etc. 😋

7 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

hunting for meat rather than display.

Same same.  Trust me, Ronnie has plenty of mounts in his man room with nice racks (deer for those gutter minded people like me lol) so we don't need anymore.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I have yet to try--which I know might be a bit surprising but when they are so tough we don't usually waste time making roasts or steaks.  It all goes into the grinder for burger.

I think that's what my hunting friends used to do. I remember being heartbroken one time when they saved a roast and had everything else ground up into burger. Everything! Then they slathered that roast with cream of mushroom soup and made a pot roast out of it. I hadn't shot the deer, so had no say in the matter...but what a waste! I don't they they even kept the tenderloin intact!

• Sad 4

3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I think that's what my hunting friends used to do. I remember being heartbroken one time when they saved a roast and had everything else ground up into burger. Everything! Then they slathered that roast with cream of mushroom soup and made a pot roast out of it. I hadn't shot the deer, so had no say in the matter...but what a waste! I don't they they even kept the tenderloin intact!

If that deer wasn't tough as chewing gum then that is sad.  Was it last year or the year before our friend shot a big old buck and OMG even the tenderloin was tough.  I knew as I was cutting the steaks that they would not be to our liking and I was right.  I should have tried the SV on them .....when our friend is here I'm usually rushed and not thinking wisely.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Shelby said:

If that deer wasn't tough as chewing gum then that is sad.  Was it last year or the year before our friend shot a big old buck and OMG even the tenderloin was tough.  I knew as I was cutting the steaks that they would not be to our liking and I was right.  I should have tried the SV on them .....when our friend is here I'm usually rushed and not thinking wisely.

I think I remember your writing about that. Yes, do try the sous vide on something and see if it helps! Easy for me to say...I'm not the one tearing around preparing royal feasts for company! 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I think I remember your writing about that. Yes, do try the sous vide on something and see if it helps! Easy for me to say...I'm not the one tearing around preparing royal feasts for company! 😄

This will be the year they get a nice tender one and then by next year I'll forget my good intentions lol

Ohhhhhh I am definitely not doing the royal feast treatment.  My "nap" today consisted of laying down and being repeatedly reminded by Newman's paw that  it's an hour before I usually feed them their wet food and he's making sure I don't forget 🙃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

@Shelby  et all

Peppermint whipped creme

Dessert was the apple galette and this super cool new product I got at the liquor store--Whip Shots.  Vodka mixed with whipped cream (except it's not--I don't even think there is any dairy in it). Comes in peppermint, caramel, vanilla and mocha.  Don't even need a glass, just shoot it straight in your mouth lol.

Was in our house TOO

• Like 3

Its good to have Morels

1 hour ago, Paul Bacino said:

@Shelby  et all

Peppermint whipped creme

Was in our house TOO

WOW now that is a cool coincidence :)

It's a dark, cold morning here.  Weather says a wintry mix is happening but I was just out for morning meeting and didn't detect anything.  I think they "plan" on getting a deer today.  Sure as I say that and they won't see a thing lol.

Our friend had Christmas gifts sent here for us--I always tell him not to but he does anyway.  I LOVE what he got me:

My new favorite wine glass and tea/coffee cup

thumbnail_IMG_5422.jpg.c8c886b8b5d0f239ffbcd04f619bfdce.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5423.jpg.52f4fe4a241da253b22822e8b9ef4f85.jpg

(sorry for the cuss words.....what can I say, I'm a heathen lol)

Baked bread --should have done that before he even got here but PROCRASTINATOR is my middle name

thumbnail_IMG_5416.jpg.0ab7780d12cf566a8d167be33ee18b97.jpg

Decided on the good 'ol charcuterie board for appetizers

Cheeses

thumbnail_IMG_5417.jpg.3098feb5ee1be1db797cd5ea2b151fb4.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5418.jpg.63dc4675a04eb593974567926629e57f.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5419.jpg.4d3046da4540e29575542a1d9d121e43.jpg

Blue cheese stuffed olives, my pickled okra, pickled mushrooms, herbed roasted cashews and meats

thumbnail_IMG_5420.jpg.428ae7fa9508614d849cf21ca7549e86.jpg

Since the Kitchen Aid bowl was dirty from making bread I decided it would be a good night to do a pizza.  Made some pizza dough and let it rise all afternoon.  Did a couple bags of that Asian salad on the side.  So it was an easy-ish meal.  I was too scared to use the new Breville pizzaolio--I'm still having a hit and miss relationship with it--so I had to take all the pots and pans out of the oven.  

Venison/bacon cheese burger pizza

thumbnail_IMG_5424.jpg.a2ebb9dfa6bb675f3b42385ec318d86e.jpg

Breakfast this morning was the same as yesterday

thumbnail_IMG_5421.jpg.86aec7500acc65c974785cb2b86d3cfc.jpg

I have to get moving a lot sooner today.  Misfits boxes supposedly coming (they are a day late) and I need to make breakfast burritos for the remaining mornings.  And figure out an appetizer.  And dinner LOL.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

I love the mug and wineglass! And the charcuterie spread! And that pizza'

But this really broke me up:

21 minutes ago, Shelby said:

was too scared to use the new Breville pizzaolio--I'm still having a hit and miss relationship with it--so I had to take all the pots and pans out of the oven.

😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 2