• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Left over bean liquid

bonkboo

i know that Sir Kensington is using bean liquid as the basis of their fabanaise.  Do folks here have other uses?  It seems like a waste to pour it out.  I was going to use it in lieu of wine or stock in something but didn't need it.  Ideas?

I often wonder about bean liquid.  For most purposes I just cook it the dish.  But for other dishes that is not advisable.  In the latter case I carefully save the liquid for a few weeks and then throw it out.

Something tells me I doubt bean liquid would pass in my house for wine.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Making soup--I Most of the time use the liquid.

Just made some  Royal Corona Beans fro RG --I soak for 3-4 hrs in Onion /garlic/ Sage/cooked bacon maybe Bay.  Times I add olive salad juice some times Raw sugars

I usually pressure cook my beans--  these beans took  35 mins.  I finished.

I do believe .. that using bean liquid increases external combustion   :)

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 2

Its good to have Morels

Other then stock, I had used it for pasta (not for any sauce), couscous or bulgur. Chickpea cooking water, if reduced and salted (you do salt your bean cooking water, right?), is especially delicious, good enough to drink as a soup.

~ Shai N.