• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

Speaking of cocktails, I made bourbon/lemonade drink for the first time and it was great!

Mason Jar Bourbonade

1 lemon
3 Tbs sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup bourbon
Crushed ice
Club soda

Halve lemon. Cut lemon half into quarters; reserve remaining lemon half for another use. Place lemon quarters and sugar in a pint-size jar. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, muddle lemon wedges. Add water, bourbon, and ice. Cover and shake for about 20 seconds or until sugar is dissolved. Top with club soda.

I used Jack Danials since it was handy, tonight it's Maker's Mark.

Edited to add: I should have mentioned that I found 3 Tbsps. sugar was too much for me.  I decreased the amt first by 1/2 Tbsps. And then by 1 Tbsp. which I liked better.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

BTW :

the IP might also enjoy a brief vacation dans le Deck

It might not get along well with the CSB  re  Amps and such

just saying.

So more men are coming to stare at our "troubles".   But before they arrive I managed to make yet another bottom of the barrel soup in the IP.  Used up all the onions and shallots. Scraped the bottom of the crisper drawers.  Found 4 sausages in the freezer, a can of beans and a can of tomatoes in the pantry and 30 minutes later......

image.jpeg

with a shower of Parmesan and some black pepper. 

P.S. A/c still sort of working and too damned hot on deck to even consider al fresco IPing. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

27 minutes ago, RobertM said:

That is not a great way to end your stay up country....

We were 3 of the female persuasion for almost 6 weeks and now we seem to be tripping over Y chromosomes. It is a shock to the system!  Other than that it doesn't amount to a hill of beans. I know what is moving in and out of the emergency department making things that happen here seem almost too trivial to mention. Anyway I think the crisis is largely resolved. Last batch of Ys found guck blocking some sort of drain. Blew that out and they think the problem is fixed. 

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I take it your Unravelling is coming to an end soon.

I always look forward to your trips to the Island.

many thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

money-mouth.gif

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 7

BTW   Im deeply sorry that, at least on your Island, on lake Ontario , there is no fresh Great Lakes Fish to be had.

back When, at the time I was at the UofC, there was a fish restaurant in Indiana, more or less across State Lines  [ o.O ]

it was not really far, but you had to have a car.  a precious item on the S. Side of Chicago ........

that had fresh Michigan Lake Fish:  Perch, Lake Trout  ( i think ) etc

your only option was to get the Staff to bone them out, or you could do it.

it was < and a dollar USD to get the to do it. I recall  USD $ 0.50  Yep !

BTW  :  it was all you can eat.

Im sure they are now out of business, maybe due to the issues of eating fish out of Lake Michigan.

of course our crew of 6 mighty have made a big dent in their in their Quarterly Earnings  at that time.

but a good time was had by all, including the Staff

I have no idea what the name was  but this accrued to me 

it was  :

http://www.chowhound.com/post/phil-smidts-closing-452412

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/after-years-legendary-region-restaurant-closes/article_cd6d8950-dbc5-5c19-a0f0-2f3d5f5ba3dd.html

http://www.nwitimes.com/business/local/phil-smidt-s-closing-saturday/article_3863a7fd-c2b1-55b9-b370-10fc8862c983.html

rats.  the frog legs  as far as I can remember were not available in 1975  when the Crew went there

indeed only twice

rats !

BTW  no nice  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscadet

back then it might have been  [ed.: The good Stuff ]  $ 1.99 a bot.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

Let's put it this way no fish we care to eat, not necessarily no fish at all.  Visions of pristine clean water are just that -- visions. 

But we did have some killer soup!  Leftover from yesterday and gussied up with lots of home made kimchi ... Not only sticks to your ribs but BBQs them too!

image.jpeg

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

and my my version of last supper here for this summer. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

23 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

That's what the nurses said today too - they will miss the baking!

I bet they miss your personality, also. I suspect they find you guys fun to be around! 

• Like 5

IMG_2899.jpg

IMG_2900.jpg

Got a little spookier - a tiny bit of rain came down - though you could see sheets if it on the other side of the channel. 

Had a little visit from new friends here a few minutes ago - they have an older girl and a couple of younger boys - we ran into them at the grocery store (would be unfair to call it the supermarket) the other day and realized that the boys would be needing dragons and we have a couple of spares. They grow garlic and hops (among many other things) - and I wanted them to try the black garlic. I think we may have converted someone to sous vide - we shall see! They gifted us with a nice little bottle of maple syrup. 

• Like 12