• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh green beans

lindag

Where are they?  The stores here where I live don't have any other than those that are pre-packaged.

I've been looking for almost two weeks now and still don't find any.

Is this unique to the area where I live? 

We've seen them loose in bins at all or most of our grocery stops in the past months, along the southwestern tier of states.  I have been surprised, however, at the increasing prevalence of packaged "fresh" green beans - sometimes trimmed, sometimes not.  If they haven't been trimmed I wonder why they're packaged at all, but IMO the trimmed packaged beans often look a bit slimy.  The packages aren't much use to us either way.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Giant used to have a loose bin.  I didn't always buy them - sometimes they were like open ended green rubber bands.  most of the time they would snap. . . . there's a reason for the moniker "snap beans".....

Giant is making major/massive changes / shifts - and very few of them for the better.

beans-in-a-bin is one of them.

eliminating 1 or 2 lb packages of ground beef is another.

so while the baby boomers are becoming a geriatric empty nest force, Giant is moving to 15 lb packages of ground beef, 8 pound fryer chickens, two pounds of pre-packaged (fresh?) green beans, etc etc.

actually, they moved all the meat cutting to an outside supplier.  the USDA meat grade on the package....?  it's a lie. 

Giant meat has become terrible.

the fish counter is (at local) a stinking disaster; every day there's a different teenager behind the counter - who thinks fish are baked and coming in a foil lined Gold Fish bag - they're both fish, right?    a Giant 20 minutes off still employs a fish dude who knows his business and he'll tell me what they unfroze this AM.

the loose mushroom bin - used to have white button and crimini.  local store:  no crimini no more; per the store manager they stopped stocking them because the loose crimini didn't sell well and there was a lot of waste.  this is BS - two loose bins, if there was an empty bin, it was _not_ the white button....  good fish Giant, they have loose crimini.  again, it's a situation where I want to buy what I need, not by the pound.

actually I'm slight puzzled that Giant even stocks any fresh veggies anymore - looking at the moms with the cart piled high - nuttin' but nukable salt, sugar, fat instant crap - and two waddling pre-schoolers in tow....  but, I rant......

We have seen very pretty young and fresh green beans on sale here two weeks ago for 99 cents a pound. They don't even need the tail snipped off, just the stem end.

@AlaMoi, sorry to hear that your local Giant seems to have lost its collective mind. :( Lots of grocery stores are lately taking to Walmart practices, and outsourcing meat prep. I walked out of Walmart after picking up a few produce items and hitting the meat dept. I wanted some ground chuck, and had to show my husband why we needed to leave immediately. Expiration date on ground meat a week out! No thanks. I'm still lucky enough to have one near me that grinds chuck daily. The store I go to offered these packages of creepy meat for a while, I guess to see if they could get away with it, but I see much less of them now, thank goodness.

I saw one large bunch long beans in the Indian grocery where I stopped today, but didn't buy any because they were pretty browned and shriveled for my tastes. I think I got spoiled by growing my own green beans for years, and like them snappin' fresh.

> ^ . . ^ <

The best green beans here come from central America.  I never seem to finish a package up before they get all slimy.  But while they last they sure are wonderful.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou