• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rapi-Kool Plus 64 ounce stock cooler

andiesenji

In case anyone is interested, I just put this on ebay, item # 182077252513.

I had purchased two, only used the one and this one has been lingering on the back of a shelf in my pantry for some time.

Never been out o the box until I opened it to take photos.

It's really handy when you need to cool a liquid rapidly.  I used the other a lot for stock and for ice cream mix when I made a gallon or more and was in a hurry.  I found that starting with a chilled liquid produced ice cream with less "grain" than when a hot or warm liquid was introduced to the machine.

Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 9.32.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 9.32.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 9.33.07 AM.png

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

19 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Interesting.  First time I had ever heard of such an item.

It certainly came in handy when I was shuffling several things around from stove top to fridge in a short period of time.

The other one looks like it went a few rounds with the stove.  It has a couple of "dings" where it rolled off the tray and hit the hot stove grate and sat there for a couple of minutes before I could get a hand free to grab it.  Has a couple of places where it melted slightly from being in contact with the hot grate.  Still works though.  Tough stuff.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

6 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Andie, is it essentially a water bottle that's frozen with a handle?   Being able to spin it around would help to cool down what ever its in 

Yes.  Depending on the size of the vessel, I would "stir" the liquid with this, or spin it around.  They make bigger ones but this worked fine for me.

I never actually froze water in mine. (did not think ahead)  I just filled it with ice then water to the fill line.  On several occasions I added rock salt to the ice and then just a little water for an even quicker chill - to cool ice cream custard rapidly - I think the batch was about 3 gallons.  

It has a rubber gasket to seal it shut and I never had a problem with leaking.

I can't even remember why I bought two or if I bought them at the same time.  It's possible I bought one, misplaced it and bought another - that has happened with other things that tended to go astray in my collection of junk.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I never actually froze water in mine. (did not think ahead)  I just filled it with ice then water to the fill line

This is good to know.  For some reason, I assumed it needed to be frozen and didn't want to dedicate the freezer space in my always overcrowded little refrigerator.  Maybe I should get one after all.....

9 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

This is good to know.  For some reason, I assumed it needed to be frozen and didn't want to dedicate the freezer space in my always overcrowded little refrigerator.  Maybe I should get one after all.....

They work a whole lot better when they're frozen.  Lots of energy in the heat of fusion.  Depending on how big the hole in the top is, you can fill it with cubes. 

I use a gallon milk jug, that I freeze in advance.  Cheap and ice, works great.  Smaller things, I use the blue ice packs for coolers, which I have a bunch in the freezer.

• Like 1

I used to use a Rapi-Kool when I worked at the restaurant.  At home, I just use a few 1-Liter bottles that are filled with water and kept in the garage freezer.  When I'm done, I give them a quick wash and store them back in the freezer. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, btbyrd said:

I like the idea of this, but it seems bulky for storage (and my freezer is tight as it is). I'm going to roll my own by freezing water in vacuum bags and seeing how that works out.

I never kept mine in the freezer.  I just filled it with ice and then some water, sometimes with rock salt to lower the temp further.

I have an ice maker so always loaded with ice.