• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 2)

Shelby

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I don't know.  That would be an interesting experiment.

15 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Just curious how the fried chicken would be if it went into the IP, first and then was fried.

I know some Mennonite folks who make it that way....it's pretty good.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

Just curious how the fried chicken would be if it went into the IP, first and then was fried.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. It seems like doing it that way you would end up with a crispier coding of the chicken with the inside still being moist and tender from the pressure cooking.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

great ideas.

in "hip' it mentions that flout added to make a roux does not do well in the IP and turns to a gummy yuk.

but Im sure Shelby, after devouring the next, and the next after that shipment of Oysters will be

On the Case.

Yes, I don't think there should be any flour until the it's time for frying.  So the real question is how the breading process would be after it emerges from the IP and my gut feeling is it would have to be chilled prior to breading.

FWIW, I also remember a technique featured on a cooking show some years ago where they dusted the chicken with seasoned flour prior to pre-cooking it in a pressure cooker.

That resulted in a tacky coating suitable for accepting an additional thicker coating of seasoned flour and such prior to frying.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Color me stupid but I'm not understanding the benefit of adding pressure cooking to the preparation of fried chicken. When I make fried chicken, I cut a chicken into 8 pieces, soak it overnight in one quart of buttermilk with 1 bottle of crystal hot sauce added, drain it the next day, toss it in seasoned flour and then fry it.  I have never had chicken dry out by using this technique. Am I missing something here?  I am not trying to be disrespectful but it just seems like adding pressure cooking to the fryer method seems like an extra step and consequently more pots and pans and pieces to wash up afterwards.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

It makes it very very tender.  Regular fried chicken is good, too....but pressure cooked is what we like best :) 

Ok, now I see . . . the PC adds tenderness.  That was not something that I had considered.  I thought we were just concerned with whether the chicken was getting dried out.  I may still give this method a try, because I have a house full of people who wouldn't mind being guinea pigs for that kind of experiment!  Perhaps a side-by-side taste test?  

• Like 2

Exactly.  

Would be fun to have a taste test.  If you have a group that likes their chicken to be "crunchy" on the outside, then the pressure cooked method is not for them.....but you might convert a few with how tender and tasty it is.

I will be trying to make it the reverse way (pc first and then frying) next time....maybe with just a couple pieces to make sure it works.

• Like 2

I knew Shelby would chime in.

so I let her take the lead.

its as I thought

and yes  I used to make fried chicken, in a seasoned cast iron skillet many times.

mash, gravy, peas

killer stuff.

Im guessing,

as a Theoretician, , 

that the IP version is indeed more tender

not better, just different.

• Like 3

of course, back when I did the Fry

I did bone out the chicken.  very carefully and you got it, no tendons on les breast meat.

easier to chomp down on

the bones went into the stock,

so maybe I got to get back into the Saddle.

I do like the idea of IP fist, coating, then a brief Fry

• Like 3

Today, I used the Instant Pot to cook turnip greens, after I'd used it to cook black-eyed peas. 

Now, you have to realize that I am 60 years old, a life-long Southerner, and have never cooked a turnip green. Not certain how I managed to grow up poor, in the South, in the country, and not like them, but I don't. Don't like any kind of cooked greens, truth be told. So I never cooked them. But my daughter loves them, and I cooked some for her.

20 minutes on high pressure, then an hour and a half slow cook. They still had a bit of texture to them. She says she likes 'em soft, so I put them back over to pressure for another 10 minutes.

Cooked with bacon, salt, a teaspoon of sugar, a splash of cider vinegar, a quarter of water and a bit of beef boullion, per a recipe I found on a blog I've been pretty pelased with for traditional Southern recipes. Surprisingly, the taste ain't bad. Or perhaps my taste buds have just changed.

Black eyed peas cooked with smoked sausage in a tomato-smoked paprika sauce; scalloped pineapple and cherries; cole slaw. Guess I ought to make some cornbread.

Happy New Year, all.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

45 minutes ago, kayb said:

Surprisingly, the taste ain't bad. Or perhaps my taste buds have just changed.

Black eyed peas cooked with smoked sausage in a tomato-smoked paprika sauce; scalloped pineapple and cherries; cole slaw. Guess I ought to make some cornbread.

Happy New Year, all.

Aw, that's a cute story, @kayb! Happy New Year to you and your daughter! I hope she enjoyed her greens, too!   :)

• Like 1

I'm very minimalist when it comes to kitchen gear, but I am enjoying the Instant Pot. I like being able to slow cook as well as pressure cook in the same pot. I had a small chuck roast in the freezer and after thawing it overnight it spent all day in slow-cook mode, along with some lovely tomatoes, peppers and spices and a bit of tequila. I started with this recipe from Serious Eats, but I did the beans on the side and only added them in toward the end of cooking. It was really really good.

I should have made tortillas but we had to pick up some friends from the airport just before dinner and that made timing a bit awkward. Even so, my store bought tortillas look awfully pale, I should have done better by them, ha. This was also on dinner thread. I did my crema fairly liquid so I could use a squeeze bottle but was in a hurry and it didn't squeeze very well, still clumpy! We were too hungry to pretty up the pics, sorry. xD

IMGP5621-001.JPG  

• Like 5

Oh everything sounds so good!

I did the black eye peas in the IP.  15 mins on high pressure, natural release.  Perfect.  I didn't have any collard greens so I threw in some spinach.  I didn't want to tempt fate.

I'm eating them for breakfast again right now.

P1011050.JPG.e35f91ec8324dceeb5bb24880b2

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 3

Had both the cuis. and the IP going last night.

I did a curry to use up some left over pork from the chops in the IP.  Onions, peppers, garlic sautéed.  Added the meat and spices.  Added tomatoes that I canned, broth and a can of coconut milk.  25 mins.  Natural release.  Meat nice and tender.

Rice was in the cuis.  Just plain Uncle Ben's.  1 cup rice with 1 1/2 cups water.  8 mins.  Quick release.  Good rice.  Far better than I ever do on the stove.  I'm rice challenged. 

• Like 2

Made some Spanish rice last night in the IP.  Sautee onion, 1 cup of rice and a bit of angel hair pasta broken in small pieces in some oil.  Pour in 1/4 cup of broth and a cup of tomato juice (from my canned tomatoes).  Add 1/4 cup or so of salsa.  Manual for 4 mins.  Natural release for 5 then quick release.

P1051073.JPG.cfb4d47956d6049b9a90a272a4e

• Like 5