• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc - off to meet the chocolatiers of Utah

Kerry Beal

Ok. Enough of the Vietnamese food when I'm not there to share! Those banh mi look delicious. Mind you so do those breakfast sandwiches. Sounds as if you are all having a wonderful time.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Do you have any pictures of Gygi's? That has been my source for chocolate for several years - in fact I put in an order yesterday. They have the best prices I've found on the web for Callebaut callets. Given your very high level of activity, I do understand you can't document everything!  :rolleyes:

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Of course we have pictures of Gygi's:). 

IMG_4249.jpg

Kerry showing tempering in the demo kitchen at Gygi's.

IMG_4250.jpg

IMG_4251.jpg

We also went to Hatch Family Chocolates-TLC's Little Chocolatiers show, and visited with Steve and Kate.

IMG_4253.jpg

• Like 7

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

We stopped into Harvest Right - my freeze dryer manufacturer yesterday. Met Matt finally with whom I have had a lot of correspondence. What a delightful fellow. They are going full tilt in there right now - they were just finishing up making a commercial which I suspect is going to make them even busier. Since I first sent Ruth in there to check the place out - they have expanded from one unit to the full building - and next week they are moving to an even bigger building.

IMG_1214.jpg

This fellow can perfectly coil 50 feet of copper tubing on the outside of the condenser - completely evenly spaced freehand!

IMG_1217.jpg

I didn't get great pictures of the whole process unfortunately - but this is the station where they add the first of the circuit boards.

IMG_1220.jpg

I had told Matt about my scroll pump - they now have a couple they are playing with and are in talks with a company that makes them. Not going to be a cheap option - but should be an available and very quiet option for the future. 

IMG_1222.jpg

With the scroll pump they've upped the tubing on this one to 1 inch with a resultant increase in speed of freeze drying. Got a number of pictures of this for hubbies information when I get home so he can make the adaptations on mine

• Like 9

Kerry - now that you're "on tour" with the EZ Temper, what's been the response? I have a feeling its one of those tools that needs to evolve from "I don't need a new toy to do what I can already do" to "I can see how this can save me significant time and accuracy" which can only come with the momentum of press and peer reviews. So how's the crowd response changing from your earlier groups to this trip?

• Like 1

My goodness, Chocolot - You deserve a grand prize if you organized this whole busy professional 'tour', 'conference' and road show! This wasn't just a gathering of a few neighbourhood friend chocoholic foodies traipsing off to a chocolate shop down the street to try the truffles with a cup of tea.

Kerry - Thanks for the FD/HR pics and info (and the rest too but I am pleased to see you slotted them onto your dance card as well).

• Like 2

Kerry - now that you're "on tour" with the EZ Temper, what's been the response? I have a feeling its one of those tools that needs to evolve from "I don't need a new toy to do what I can already do" to "I can see how this can save me significant time and accuracy" which can only come with the momentum of press and peer reviews. So how's the crowd response changing from your earlier groups to this trip?

Lots of interest for sure! It's great to be able to actually show it to people - leaves them thinking about it. 

• Like 3

Started out the morning at Beehive Cheese visiting with Pat and Tim. 

IMG_1224.jpg

Curd making area.

IMG_1225.jpg

Prepping the cheeses for vacuum sealing.

IMG_1227.jpg

Cutting the cheese.

IMG_1228.jpg

Vacuum sealed and ready to go on to aging. 

IMG_1237.jpg

First aging done in the 50's.

IMG_1234.jpg

Second part of the aging done at much cooler temperatures.

IMG_1238.jpg

A little cheese cave with some of the penicillium inoculated cheeses molding away.

Next stop was Sweet Candies - so that we could play with their tempermeter and see what sort of tempering curves we could get with our EZtempered chocolate. I still need to crunch the data a bit - looks like we might be able to cut back on the amount of silk we add. Sure wish I had one of these at home for the ongoing experiments. Hoping Ruth can add some pictures of us dressed to kill with our hair nets etc!

IMG_1240.jpg

In our travels today we stopped in to see Dana and her hubby at Millcreek Cacao Roasters. 

IMG_1241.jpg

Lunch was a BBQ beef brisket sandwich at Costco. We also hit Trader Joe's.

IMG_1250.jpg

Then off to the AACT (I believe it stands for the American Association of Candy Technologists - Ruth is vice chair I believe. We set up a little table with the EZtemper and chatted about it to interested parties. The dinner meeting was held at the Joseph Smith Memorial building that used to be a hotel. From the window you get a nice view of temple and tabernacle. Keep expecting to see fireworks behind this one when it's dusk. 

Dinner was not memorable enough for pictures to be taken.

• Like 10

All good things must come to the end. It has been a whirlwind for the past week, but time to get back to the real world. As Kerry mentioned, we were behind the scenes at Sweet Candy company. Isn't she lovely :smile:?

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

Kerry with Gwen, their R&D head.

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

We (at least I) have had a wonderful time. Our days were filled with chocolate and visiting. Kerry didn't even have time to call her husband because by the time we got back at night, with the time zones, he would have been asleep. If any of you get the opportunity to have Kerry as a guest, do it!! Great fun!!

• Like 13

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

This has been a wonderful tour! Thank you all for sharing it with us!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

After my pickup at the airport we went to Shanghai Cafe (pretty sure that was the name) - one guy doing all the cooking - 

attachicon.gifDSCN6041.jpg

Coconut shrimp - amazingly tender. 

attachicon.gifDSCN6042.jpg

Scallion pancake.

attachicon.gifDSCN6043.jpg

Pot stickers.

attachicon.gifDSCN6045.jpg

Mapo dofu 

attachicon.gifDSCN6047.jpg

Pork belly.

attachicon.gifDSCN6048.jpg

Fat noodles. 

attachicon.gifDSCN6051.jpg

Stir fried green beans with pork.

attachicon.gifDSCN6052.jpg

The other dumplings the name of which escape me.

attachicon.gifDSCN6053.jpg

Salt cooked pork chops - the name intrigued me - and they were excellent. 

I love how many chest shots you got of me in these photos, and of course mid "stuff" with the chopsticks is probably the best one of the whole night  :raz:

• Like 1