• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

AlaMoi

Berkshire Pork

had this in eateries - always enjoyed it.  so I set out to learn whether it's so good because of the pork, the chef, or the fact I didn't have to cook it . . . .

was in a 'farmer's market' a bit back - tripped over a (not open that day) butcher stall that had signs of "we have Berkshire pork" - so today I went back after researching what days that shop was 'open' - the market is 30 minutes travel, downtown, parking is a bear @ $500 per second (okokIzagerate...) go in, go to stall, empty.  everything cleaned out, stuff stacked upside down. 

so I asked the neighbor cookie lady - very nice person - what happened.  oh, they've been gone for quite some time - gosh, the market website has them listed as of yesterday.....

that was Heritage Breed Farms of Russia,Ohio.  oops.

so here's my question:  it the stuff really worth finding it?  I've located another source around Gettysburg - which explains how/why a local eatery there had it.... - but it is one-way an hour+ drive.  I dislike freezing good meats - exception: pork tenderloin does not seem to suffer in my freezer - bottom line to that is I'm not going to buy a whole / half pig and freeze it for use in perpetuity . . .

experiences with Berkshire pork welcome!

Limited experience but I've bought Berkshire twice.  Given the choice I would purchase no other pork.

It's not "the other white meat".

• Like 1

I have to say that I recently purchased a whole Berkshire head, belly and shoulder. The difference was significant - especially in the belly and shoulder - here's a pic of the shoulder brining....it was fattier in all the right places and absolutely more flavorful. I wish I had a pic of the belly!

image.jpeg

• Like 2

My husband gets Berkshire pork ribs at our local butcher. They are AMAMZING. Absolutely the best ribs I have ever had. Worth every penny and more.

• Like 1

thanks for the input!  I may have to buy it mail order - can't find a single place in the area that carries it.

all the restaurant fare I've had was really excellent - I wonder if the stuff is that short in supply only a few local businessi can get their hands on it.

If you would like CURED Berkshire pork, one that I enjoy and get from a local place (a charcuterie/enoteca/butcher, which carries it off-and-on) is "Prosciutto Rossa" put out by La Quercia (this one). They get their Berkshire pork from "selected farmers" from this group.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

If you have any Tamworth pork available in your area, it is worth a try. Probably the best plain old pork roast I ever had came from that breed.

If you would like CURED Berkshire pork, one that I enjoy and get from a local place (a charcuterie/enoteca/butcher, which carries it off-and-on) is "Prosciutto Rossa" put out by La Quercia (this one). They get their Berkshire pork from "selected farmers" from this group.

Love the clickable pig on the La Quercia website and their products look wonderful, too!

Love the clickable pig on the La Quercia website and their products look wonderful, too!

You mean this pig, of course. Yes, they have nice stuff. :-) Did you see the acorn-fed Berkshire cured ham legs (limited supply!) they offer? :-D

Just a BTW for those who just maybe might have let it slip their minds...Black Berkshire pigs/pork would be equivalent to Kurobuta pigs/pork. The "pure Oriental strains of Black Berkshire" in Japan is regarded by some as the highest quality pork one can get there.

Tamworth . . .

seems as scarce as Berkshire.  the 'source farms' are multiple hours away - and no internet mention of retail places in my immediate area.

some of the on-line sources are like out-of-their-minds.  $/lb plus shipping makes for a veddy expensive meal.  I know the stuff is more expensive, but . . .

I need to gin up a list of a wider area butchers and get in the car. 

Ah, how could one resist?  Tonight was Berkshire pork.  A rib chop.  Voatsiperifery and fresh sage.  Pan searing was out of the question because the rib was nine inches and my largest frying pan has a flat surface of 8 inches.  (Clearly I need a new copper frying pan.)  Howbeit I cooked the rib sous vide and finished it on my Zojirushi indoor grill to a final rested temperature of 141 deg F.  Lovely crust.  And as rotuts has clearly demonstrated, Fahrenheit tastes far better than Celsius.  Particularly when sucking on the fat.

Google can tell me many things but it cannot tell me how to carve a pork chop.  Speaking of rotuts, even with a finely bubbled bottle of MR (Ryan Patrick Naked Chardonnay 2013, my favorite) I have half the rib chop left.  There are far worse things in life.

Refreshing my palate with a glass of Whistlepig as I write.  Baccarat Comtesse De Paris.