• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mini Muffin Pan Liners and Muffin Pans

Shel_B

Some time ago, I picked up a couple of mini muffin pans at a yard sale.  They are the perfect size for the little Breville oven that lives in the kitchen.

Mini Muffin Pan.jpg

I want to get some liners for these pans.  Do muffin pan liners come in standard sizes?  Is one brand of liner the same size as another?  Are the cups in the muffin pan the same size for all pans?

Thanks!

... Shel

Liners come in several sizes,,,I get my mini liners either at the grocery store, a restaurant supply house or online.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Liners come in several sizes,,,

Just to clarify ... do you mean that mini muffin pan liners come in different sizes?

... Shel

What suzilightning says. This is the brand I have.

I think I'd like to find parchment liners ... didn't know such a thing existed.  Thanks!

... Shel

Go to the baking section in the grocery store, Shel. You should see 2 sizes of muffin/cupcake baking cups. Or, make your own from parchment paper - just a cut or two to get the right size and a few folds once you put it in the hole to smooth it out a bit.

At Michael's you may find the 'parchment' liners - very expensive comparatively but you can find them. They were a fad at one time - not so sure about that now though.

That said, that looks like a non-stick pan and they really work quite well. If you are worried about something sticking, butter/spray them a bit first.

Edited by Deryn (log)

Go to the baking section in the grocery store, Shel. You should see 2 sizes of muffin/cupcake baking cups. Or, make your own from parchment paper - just a cut or two to get the right size and a few folds once you put it in the hole to smooth it out a bit.

At Michael's you may find the 'parchment' liners - very expensive comparatively but you can find them. They were a fad at one time - not so sure about that now though.

That said, that looks like a non-stick pan and they really work quite well. If you are worried about something sticking, butter/spray them a bit first.

I know that there are two sizes of pan liners.  What I'd like to know is if each size (in this case, specifically the mini liners) is standardized, or does each manufacturer have their own size of liner.  Yes, the pans are non-stick, but I prefer to use them with the appropriate liners.  Plus, I will be using the pans for more than muffins, including some meat items.  As for parchment paper, I don't want any with a Quilon (I think I got that right) coating.

... Shel

A pack of the mini-liners will cost you a buck or so for at least 50. Just buy some and try them out. You absolutely do NOT need them but if you insist on using some, they are cheap and easy to find.

See the little jagged folds on the sides? Those expand to accommodate whatever amount of batter you put in them or scrunch up to fit a slightly smaller cup. That is the way they work. Nothing complicated about them. I doubt every manufacturer would have their own liners since this system has worked for cupcake/muffin/mini-meatloaf makers the world over for as long as liners have existed (which was before I was born as far as I know). You would not probably want to try to cram a large size into a small cup, but, though it would result in a much lower profile, you could put a smaller size into a larger cup (though I am not sure why you would do so unless you were desperate or wanted to make something very shallow).

If you want parchment, then buy your own non-coated parchment paper and make your own. We are talking something that takes a few seconds, not hours. You don't have to fuss over them - just try not to have too many folds that the batter can get behind or it will be harder to have them come out easily without bits falling off as you release the contents from the paper.

Edited by Deryn (log)

The liners for mini muffin pans will work regardless of brand. I have 2 dozen non-stick mini muffin pans that I used frequently back when I was still catering and never had liners from any source that wouldn't work with them. The pan cavities can vary by brand sometimes but, as was mentioned above, the pleated liners adjust themselves to accommodate that. Beyond whether or not one wants them for muffins and cupcakes, there are times when they're handy for other purposes (for example, I actually used the pans for making mini tart shells much more often than for muffins or cupcakes and tossing in a liner and some pie weights makes the job much easier and faster than cutting little pieces of parchment for each one).

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Just to clarify ... do you mean that mini muffin pan liners come in different sizes?

sorry... I was off after I posted this to do stuff for the day.

No.  I find mini, medium and large sized liners.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Both pans and liners come in various sizes with little standardization.   I've had mini muffin pans that were wide and shallow, taller with a bottom so narrow the finished product was unstable, and in between.  Measure the diameter across the bottom of your muffin tin cavities as well as the height of the sides.  Height isn't as crucial, but I do like to have the bottom diameter a close match.  The following links should either help or really confuse you :)

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/guide/629/baking-cups.html

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/221/baking-cups.html?filter=color:white,type:baking-cups

• Like 1

Both pans and liners come in various sizes with little standardization.   I've had mini muffin pans that were wide and shallow, taller with a bottom so narrow the finished product was unstable, and in between.  Measure the diameter across the bottom of your muffin tin cavities as well as the height of the sides.  Height isn't as crucial, but I do like to have the bottom diameter a close match.  The following links should either help or really confuse you :)

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/guide/629/baking-cups.html

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/221/baking-cups.html?filter=color:white,type:baking-cups

Thanks!  More than I thought I needed to know, but you know what they say, "The more you know, the better your luck."  I truly appreciate your input.

• Like 1

... Shel