• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Preparing & sealing sous vide recipes the day before

phositadc

I am hoping to get started with sous vide this weekend, and have a general question about preparing and sealing meals in advance.

Is it OK to go ahead and put the meat and seasoning in a bag, vacuum seal it, and store in in the fridge for ~24 hours before actually cooking it sous vide?

For instance, Sunday evening I buy some salmon filets, put them in bag with salt, pepper, and a slice of lemon.  Seal bag.  Then cook it Monday evening.

Would that work, or does storing the meat for ~24 hours sealed with salt + pepper + lemon harm the meat?

Any advice appreciated.

Salt+lemon will modify the meat, as it does in any marinade/dry rub. The acid in the lemon will "cook" the meat: this is the concept behind ceviche. The salt will brine the meat, which is not such a bad thing unless you use too much salt: the salt and liquid in the fish equilibrate to a set level, which is the concept used to cure meats (eg. bacon).

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I am with Nick and would definitely not even think of this with fish especially with the lemon and salt. I no longer season meat before I sous vide it but add a little oil/fat to the bag and would have no qualms about doing this 24 hours ahead of time although unless I was feeding hordes I'm not sure why it's necessary. It really takes very little time to bag a few steaks or chops or whatever.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

If your product is very fresh you can go ahead, I do it from time to time and the result is good. Though you should avoid acid in the bag like the lemon, as others have said it can cook the meat or fish. With meat also avoid salting before bagging, as the texture will change and look (a bit) like cured meat. With fish, you can pre-salt as that firmness is actually useful in many cases. With fish you should not keep in the bag for long, but if it is extremelly fresh having it bagged for 24 hours will not be as good as the same day but still can be ok, and in fact a better option than keep it 24 hours non-bagged.