• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetable Filling Needed for Tortellini

Shel_B

I need a vegetable filling, maybe something like spinach or kale, or some other vegetable filling, that's light on cheese (even no cheese may work) as the tortellini will be served in a Parmesan broth.  Cheese in the tortellini and a Reggiano-infused broth might be a little too much.  Any suggestions?

... Shel

It's a shame it has to be vegetable, a pork stuffing could be excellent.

I am with you completely. I would call them raviolini rather than tortellini, sorry to be the usual pedantic Italian. All the vegetables tortelli (not tortellini) I know are served "asciutti", not in stock.

That said, I would rather make a minestra nel sachetto (adding maybe some spinach to the mix) or a minestra imperiale or some passatelli.

If making ravioli in brodo, having no choice, I would rather make a mix of wild herbs or maybe a cheese filling but would not be something I would like to eat myself.

If it's a velouté rather than a clear stock I could see some vegetable tortelli with no problem.

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 2

The filling needs to be assertive to stand up to a parm broth.  I too would lean toward meat, but that isn't the request,

I think I'd do stewed kale or broccoli rabe with a little garlic and salt. The slight bitterness would be nice.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

porcini or wild mushroom duxelle with spinach?  This is very close to the maultaschen filling I make.  I also like sage or maybe a (very restrained) chop of tarragon.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites