• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving 2014

TeakettleSlim

In the past I had been asking my sister if she needed a break. We could have it at my house.  I was secretly glad when I got turned down and didn't even make an offer this year.  After dinner though, I got volunteered to have it at my house next year.  At least I will have a year to figure out where to find all the extra seating.

TG14.

Flavors and dishes from 1914, a century anniversary.  Among the favorites:

Smoked turkey consommé Dubarry.

Smoked turkey neck, romanesco, white and green cauliflower.

15714861669_20b780638e.jpg

Turkey Salmis; picked roasted turkey leg, with gizzards, root vegetables, Brussels sprouts and cranberries in kabocha squash gravy. Pont-Neuf potatoes baked with sprats and allspiced-heavy cream; oyster stuffing.

15714470297_b2a712b50a.jpg

Turkey Wellington.

The breasts of a pastured bird with a forcemeat made with the liver and trimmings, wrapped in collard greens and baked in savory pastry.

15897925041_0ae907f026.jpg

15899963505_dfa9835fe0.jpg

15714019449_3fd3b8d9c3.jpg

15280480663_98bb441328.jpg

Blazing mince pie.

Dried fruits and suet in cornmeal pastry with almond, set ablaze with VSOP Calvados.

15712778798_0ed785cec1.jpg

• Like 13

We did Thanksgiving this year at Jessica’s again  - a bit of a potluck affair.

Starters – Liptauer cheese and pumpernickel loaf:

med_gallery_3331_337_68878.jpg

Relish tray and pimento cheese:

med_gallery_3331_337_80525.jpg

Turkey breast:

med_gallery_3331_337_80264.jpg

You know, it’s funny – when I used to roast a whole turkey, it was good and folks seemed to enjoy it.  But for the last few years, to save having to do it the day of, I’ve been cooking a breast in the slow cooker the day before, slicing it, refrigerating it and heating it up on the day with some stock.  And they rave!  “How moist, how tasty!”  Seems like I’ve lazied myself into the perfect turkey!

Baked Sour Cream Potatoes:

med_gallery_3331_337_67487.jpg

Jessica’s Corn Pudding:

med_gallery_3331_337_19295.jpg

Jessica’s wonderful Challah and dried fruit dressing:

med_gallery_3331_337_149466.jpg

Jessica’s fantastic sweet potato latkes with Brie and arugula (dressed with a lemon/olive oil vinaigrette:

med_gallery_3331_337_176544.jpg

THE gravy:

med_gallery_3331_337_38478.jpg

Plated:

med_gallery_3331_337_6958.jpg

Mr. Kim’s apple cake:

med_gallery_3331_337_171274.jpg

One of nieces, who couldn’t join us this year sent this beautiful and delicious pecan pie:

med_gallery_3331_337_156475.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks for the gravy love.  To me it is the most important part of a turkey dinner.  

Yep - that's neck meat.  I always search out turkey necks to make my stock with.  My turkey gravy is a two-day process - I make it ahead of time and freeze it so that I don't have to mess with it on the day of.

• Like 2

If we went somewhere, I always brought the stuffing.

that way not a piece of celery to be seen in it, ever.

A man after my own heart......

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I had 14 people for T-giving. I made:

Turkey which I had quartered and sous vide cooked 5 days in advance and reheated then browned in a hot oven . Used the backbone and giblets to make stock

Turkey gravy made in advance

Duck comfit legs made sous vide a month ago then reheated and finished in a deep fat fryer in duck fat

Dressing (three kinds of bulk sausage, onions, celery, crimini, toasted walnuts and pecans, dried apricots soaked in grand marnier, herbs, dried challah bread)

Mashed potatoes (this is to simply keep the kids over to one side of my small kitchen and let them play with the ricer).

Savory tart with cranberry, fennel, gorgonzola 

Brussels sprouts roasted in duck fat with herbs and bacon

Buttermilk biscuits 

Carrots sous vide.

Cranberry sauce made with very little sugar and finished with grand marnier so it was 'hot'. 

Everything turned out great except that I have not gotten the buttermilk biscuits right yet tho no one complained! Guests brought some very fine wines and then dessert was over at my sister's - one block away. The turkey was perfectly cooked, very evenly cooked with a turkey flavor - not a brine flavor (tho I do dry salt brine it before sous vide cooking it). I used a pink salt and a bitter/mineral salt combo. I feel pretty good about how the flavors in the dishes worked with each other. Plates were brimming. There was even a moment of unintentional silence after we all sat down and I looked up to see everyone looking intently at their food and eating quietly. Luckily that quiet did not last. Ha! 

I'm new here and I love reading and looking at the pics. You all are great cooks! 

Edited by katace (log)
  • Like 3