• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charring Frozen Corn Kernels

Shel_B

There's a recipe that I'd like to make that calls for charring ears of corn and then cutting the kernels from the cob  http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chile-pork-tenderloin-50400000137205/.  I don't have a grill at home, so I need to find another way to char the kernels.  This time of year, frozen corn kernels may be the easiest and best choice.  So, what may be the best way to char these prepared kernels in my apartment kitchen?

I was thinking about heating the cast iron skillet, very hot, and adding the frozen (or fresh if I can find 'em) kernels until they blister and char a bit.  Might that work?  Or what about under the broiler?

FWIW, TJ's carries frozen, charred corn kernels, and I may try using them, but I would rather do the charring myself.

Thanks!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

The broiler might be too quick and hard to monitor. I would let them semi thaw and then towel off moisture well and use the hot cast iron. The TJ product you note is quite good. It has been a while but it seemed their kernels were bigger than what one would find in regular frozen corn resulting in a char but still a discernible interior. 

The broiler might be too quick and hard to monitor. I would let them semi thaw and then towel off moisture well and use the hot cast iron. The TJ product you note is quite good. It has been a while but it seemed their kernels were bigger than what one would find in regular frozen corn resulting in a char but still a discernible interior. 

Having thought about it a while, I'm tending to agree with you about the broiler.

... Shel

I'd try the broiler, but I'd do an experiment by using the frozen kernels without thawing. That way they can char a bit without overcooking, but it may not work due to evaporation.

If the oven's going anyway, it may be worth a try.  I like experimenting ....

... Shel

A cast iron pan may yield uneven results, with some scorching or steaming.

A Whirley Pop device is low cost, and reliable for roasting coffee beans, so it should work for corn by moving kernels all at once.

Widely available, even in thrift stores; here is a link http://www.kitchenstuffplus.com/10881-.aspx?src=google&gclid=CjwKEAjwp7WgBRCRxMCLx8mMnDMSJADncxS2cqrdHAaKtt0ghJxhjO4hgv31G_Z4TaLq6ixMm-WSYxoCzTvw_wcB#

I know you said you'd rather char the corn yourself so this is not what you want but I echo heidih's endorsement of the TJ's frozen, charred kernels that you mentioned. I've never served them on their own, but try to keep them on hand to use in my black bean salad and other dishes.

• Like 1

I know you said you'd rather char the corn yourself so this is not what you want but I echo heidih's endorsement of the TJ's frozen, charred kernels that you mentioned. I've never served them on their own, but try to keep them on hand to use in my black bean salad and other dishes.

I have a bag in my freezer right now ... I use the product every now and then.

... Shel