• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food and Linguistics

liuzhou

I wonder how many times "awesome" and "yummy" are used.

dcarch

Er. Never.

Did you consider reading the article to assuage your wonder?

"Yummy" is very irritable, I agree. Sounds like the user is nine years old.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

It's a good article and I'm looking forward to the book on which it is based. That particular issue of the FT Magazine had food writing as it's theme. I think you can read the magazines free on the FT website. Rowley Leigh is their main cookery contributor and I enjoyed his article in that same issue on 'foraging'. His pages are always worth a look in my view, whether or not you will want to make his weekly recipe.

Unrelated to the article above, but since the topic title is fairly general, thought I'd add a nice blog post I read recently on the history of the words 'tea' and 'chai': http://languageoffood.blogspot.com/2014/08/tea-if-by-sea.html?m=1

Good! I deliberately made the title 'general' in the hope that other food related language issues would turn up. There are many.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto