• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Siphon to make dumplings?

ariggsby

At a restaurant last weekend, I had a poached egg, but instead of just cracking the egg into the water it was shot out of an isi siphon.  This got me wondering about making very light poached dumplings by putting batter in a siphon and dispensing into a poaching liquid (or even, if I weren't worried about the splatter, into a fryer).  Has anybody tried this?  Does it work?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu

At a restaurant last weekend, I had a poached egg, but instead of just cracking the egg into the water it was shot out of an isi siphon.  This got me wondering about making very light poached dumplings by putting batter in a siphon and dispensing into a poaching liquid (or even, if I weren't worried about the splatter, into a fryer).  Has anybody tried this?  Does it work?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Pray tell: an egg, with yolk and white intact, was expelled from an isi? That seems a good trick.

No, though that would have been an excellent trick!  As far as I could tell, they'd beatend the egg thouroughly (and I presume strained it) before loading it into the siphon.  The resulting poached object was about the size of a poached egg, but fluffy, off-white, and homogeneous.

A

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu

This leads to the question--  just how thick/pasty a batter can a isi whipper push without choking or doing harm to itself?  Is the air waffle batter extra runny out of consideration of the limitations of the siphon, or for its intrinsic qualities?  Could one of these things really push a quenelle out of it without choking?

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

No, though that would have been an excellent trick!  As far as I could tell, they'd beatend the egg thouroughly (and I presume strained it) before loading it into the siphon.  The resulting poached object was about the size of a poached egg, but fluffy, off-white, and homogeneous.

A

So, a poached scrambled egg? Sounds pointless.