• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 2)

jwjon1

Found 2 bottles of the Kaiken Malbec at the West Chester store today... sorry, bought them both!

Just got a shipment at ************. Got 1 to try finally.

What, you think I'lll let you steal em again? :biggrin:

PM me, 'bro! I need to get some more Kaiken for the house wine at Chez K-Lo.

edited to add:

Never mind. I found it! Woo-hoo!

Have been away from this thread for a while, using my alcohol alottment on cocktails,

However, did get the Kaiken malbec. Holy cow was this good. And 7 bucks and change a bottle. I may be back on the wine. We bought a bunch of this and will pour it often.

What's the deal with the PLCB web site?  Seems to be down, or else the URLs have changed yet again.

oh well, it's back up.

In honor of "Wine Festival Week" there's free shipping on orders of $200 or more this week. Offer ends 5/7/06.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Once I saw that Tria is serving the Kaiken Malbec, I figured my chances of ever finding it in the (Philly) 12xx Chestnut Street super store again were gone forever.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure they're selling it for $8/glass at Tria.

Speaking of the super store... does anyone know what's going on there? The space that used to be crowded with Chairman's selections is virtually bare and even the shelves of wine have been looking sparse for the last couple of months.

Once I saw that Tria is serving the Kaiken Malbec, I figured my chances of ever finding it in the (Philly) 12xx Chestnut Street super store again were gone forever. 

Speaking of the super store... does anyone know what's going on there?  The space that used to be crowded with Chairman's selections is virtually bare and even the shelves of wine have been looking sparse for the last couple of months.

last i heard it was because there was a shipping strike. i forget if it was the drivers or loaders or what...

Speaking of the super store... does anyone know what's going on there?  The space that used to be crowded with Chairman's selections is virtually bare and even the shelves of wine have been looking sparse for the last couple of months.

As of 2 minutes ago, 12th and Chestunt shows 39 bottles and Franklin Mills has 76. I ended up having 2 cases shipped to newtown the other day and the day they arrived, Newtown got 4 cases, coulda saved the $20 shipping.

Stuff is really good.

I don't usually buy many bottles at a time anymore but when I first sipped the Kaiken as the grill was heating, I put on my sneakers and ran out to buy what was left at City Ave. $8 is a fabulous price point for this and I will make quick work of them. Having said that, $8 seems to be it's everyday price so if you don't get these in time, you can enjoy it at a friend's house over in NJ, if he/she has any.

Evan

Edited by shacke (log)

Dough can sense fear.

I don't usually buy many bottles at a time anymore but when I first sipped the Kaiken as the grill was heating, I put on my sneakers and ran out to buy what was left at City Ave.  $8 is a fabulous price point for this and I will make quick work of them.  Having said that, $8 seems to be it's everyday price so if you don't get these in time, you can enjoy it at a friend's house over in NJ, if he/she has any.

Evan

Okay, I'll go out on a limb here, and stand alone as Not-That-Impressed Boy. Lush, yes; soft, check; jammy, true. No structure, though, and precious little distinctive character... I'd say it was a good buy if I couldn't find several better ones (*cough*Panarroz*cough) for less in a Neighboring State.

I'd say that I've been less impressed by the Chairman Selections at the lower price points. I'd rather save my PLCB dollars for more singular offerings. Of which there are plenty, fortunately.

Okay, I'll go out on a limb here, and stand alone as Not-That-Impressed Boy

Perhaps being Not-That-Impressed Boy is why you are standing alone? :hmmm:

:kidding: :raz: I couldn't resist...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Okay, I'll go out on a limb here, and stand alone as Not-That-Impressed Boy.

For fear of retribution from Katie :biggrin: , I haven't posted similar sentiments as Capaneus. Well, that, and I don't have enough data points to comment fully as I have only performed a single bottle experiment. But since the ice was broken by the fearless not-that-impressed boy, I'll have to concur. I tried to search for some character in the Kaiken, but all I kept running into was cooked fruit, and I rarely enjoy that quality in a wine. Could be due to poor storage, it was a one bottle trial after all, but I have not had any desire to reproduce those results.

Thanks for the Panarroz tip, Capaneus!

Edited by jwjon1 (log)

Thanks for the Panarroz tip, Capaneus!

Standard Disclaimer: I have not tasted or priced the current vintage, but I have found it very consistent over the years, in both quality and cost. Canal's Discount Mart has had the best price in the past (about $6.50/btl by the case). Call ahead to make sure it's in stock: it's readily available from their distributor, but they sell out regularly. If that's the case, they should be able to tell you when they expect it back in.

It's a blend of Monastrell (aka Mourvedre), Garnacha (Grenache) and Syrah, from Jumilla, Spain. Dense fruit, mainly plum and dark berries, a hint of raw beef, firm tannin and good acidity. Most noticeable flaw is a bit of alcoholic heat on the finish, though I've found that is no longer present after a few months of cellaring. Reminiscent of a good Rhone, unsurprisingly, but lacks the subtleties of the better ones, or of the better (and costlier) offerings from Spain. Still, I haven't been able to do better at this price point.

I'd say that I've been less impressed by the Chairman Selections at the lower price points. I'd rather save my PLCB dollars for more singular offerings. Of which there are plenty, fortunately.

Too true. To balance my Kaiken purchase, I grabbed the 2003 Orenos in Ardmore today. Wallet ying-yang. Incidentally, the PA website inventory is not reliable as has been said before. I happened to stop by today and found them. That's what I get for snooping. :biggrin:

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Too true. To balance my Kaiken purchase, I grabbed the 2003 Orenos in Ardmore today. Wallet ying-yang. Incidentally, the PA website inventory is not reliable as has been said before. I happened to stop by today and found them. That's what I get for snooping. :biggrin:

Evan

Perhaps Diedre can chime in here and let us know how often the site updates. Does it do it overnight? Every few hours? That could explain some of the discrepancies in inventory.

I suspect a "real time" inventory system where we could watch the bottle counts go down right after one of us recommends a certain wine is a bit too expensive and high tech for our expectations. :wink:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

It's a long thread but I think somewhere she said that it updates every 24 hours? There was one bottle there according to the site when I checked yesterday. Zero today. So unless they got a boatload on a Sunday, it doesn't check out. Another example is that the Cakebreads at Ardmore never showed up on the site at all. I have taken to snooping when I am in the neighborhood. I use the site mainly as a tool to see if shipments I am waiting for have hit the state in general.

There was also talk of eventually being able to use the online inventory for web ordering order and subsequent in store pickup. That obviously can't work well with the way the current system operates. I wonder if it's an issue with the individual store folks not getting the inventory into the system? Dunno.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Perhaps Diedre can chime in here and let us know how often the site updates.  Does it do it overnight?  Every few hours?  That could explain some of the discrepancies in inventory.

I suspect a "real time" inventory system where we could watch the bottle counts go down right after one of us recommends a certain wine is a bit too expensive and high tech for our expectations.  :wink:

I've asked that question, and was told it is updated overnight. I'm not sure how expensive real-time inventory control would be, but it's been standard procedure for most retailers for about a decade now. Including operations much, much smaller than the PLCB. I suspect they just don't feel any pressure to upgrade. After all, there are about five of us statewide who use in ways that require that degree of precision.

I wonder if it's an issue with the individual store folks not getting the inventory into the system? Dunno.

Whose job is it to update the inventory and at which end of the shipment? Is it a two step process that also tracking shipments and deliveries (which would make sense)? If the 20 cases of Chateau Mysterioso leave Harrisburg headed for Delaware Avenue is is punched in there and then doesn't queue to update until it's marked as "received"at the other end? :hmmm:

Finding out where the breakdown in the process happens is the first step to correcting it, I'd imagine. I've seen certain stores that are run with the efficiency of a Swiss train and others that are absolutely maddening to deal with. Perhaps better employee training on inventory and receiving procedures would help the ones lagging behind catch up? :unsure:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I wonder if it's an issue with the individual store folks not getting the inventory into the system? Dunno.

Whose job is it to update the inventory and at which end of the shipment? Is it a two step process that also tracking shipments and deliveries (which would make sense)? If the 20 cases of Chateau Mysterioso leave Harrisburg headed for Delaware Avenue is is punched in there and then doesn't queue to update until it's marked as "received"at the other end? :hmmm:

Finding out where the breakdown in the process happens is the first step to correcting it, I'd imagine. I've seen certain stores that are run with the efficiency of a Swiss train and others that are absolutely maddening to deal with. Perhaps better employee training on inventory and receiving procedures would help the ones lagging behind catch up? :unsure:

Since inventory is clearly on the premises and not on the site, I presume that means that local employees are missing the boat. As Capaneus said, if most people don't care, there is no flak for the lapse.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Hi all! Just a quick post to let you know that the '03 Sette Ponti Orena is currently available, albeit only the Newtown store has it in stock.

Wine - Light held together by moisture. Galileo Galilei

What ever happened to the Achával-Ferrer Quimera Mendoza, Argentina 2003? It was on the upcoming Chairmans Selection for April but mysteriously disapperaed.

Deidre, can you weigh in on this important question??

Hi Jeff L,

Just in case you didn't know, it's now available and there are 4 bottles in the Newtown store.

Finding out where the breakdown in the process happens is the first step to correcting it, I'd imagine.  I've seen certain stores that are run with the efficiency of a Swiss train and others that are absolutely maddening to deal with.  Perhaps better employee training on inventory and receiving procedures would help the ones lagging behind catch up? :unsure:

One of these days every bottle is going to have an RFID tag on it, and the "system" (like the Borg) will know at any time where every single bottle is located. :-)

I don't understand why the LCB doesn't pioneer such an inventory system. Wine retailing is an industry where matching customers with the products they want to buy is critical to sales. This process of guessing which stores are going to need which product, shipping it there and then waiting around to see who buys it... ludicrous! Certainly some store inventory is nice for browsing, etc. But for premium items, especially, it would seem a no-brainer to invest in a smarter inventory system that minimizes the time and distance from winery to customer.

What ever happened to the Achával-Ferrer Quimera Mendoza, Argentina 2003? It was on the upcoming Chairmans Selection for April but mysteriously disapperaed.

Hi Jeff L,

Just in case you didn't know, it's now available and there are 4 bottles in the Newtown store.

I did notice that and picked up a bottle the other day. I just may get the last 4 unless you want some. Do you live in Newtown?

Jeff

Hi Jeff L,

I did notice that and picked up a bottle the other day. I just may get the last 4 unless you want some. Do you live in Newtown?

Jeff

Jeff,

Yes, that's where I hang my hat. I deduced from your posts that you are not too far afield either?

As to the Quimera, have at it. I've got 6 bottles stashed away now.

I hope you got your Oreno - at 6 p.m. last night, they only had 15 bottles left.

Misha

Hi Jeff L,

Jeff

Jeff,

Yes, that's where I hang my hat. I deduced from your posts that you are not too far afield either?

I hope you got your Oreno - at 6 p.m. last night, they only had 15 bottles left.

Misha

I didn't pick up any of the Oreno as I went a bit over budget with the case of 96 Beringer Private Reserve.

Good to know you are local, I live in Holland and am considering hosting another Chairmans Selection tasting later on this summer here. I'll post here if anyone's interested in doing another one.

Hi Jeff L,

Jeff

Jeff,

Misha

I didn't pick up any of the Oreno as I went a bit over budget with the case of 96 Beringer Private Reserve.

Good to know you are local, I live in Holland and am considering hosting another Chairmans Selection tasting later on this summer here. I'll post here if anyone's interested in doing another one.

Jeff,

I'd love to come to a tasting. I'll keep my eyes peeled for your posting regarding same.

I know what you mean 'bout blowing the budget, as I've done that over the Oreno. I tell ya, the Chairman has had a vacuum hose installed in my purse. :biggrin:

BTW, while it's not a Selection, they have a few bottles left of the Rosemount GSM (code 27190) for $23.49. Pretty tasty juice. FWIW, t'was #32 out of WS's top 100.

Misha