• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 2)

jwjon1

Hi everyone:

I am a new member to this forum so let me add some background followed by a tasting note. I was quite happy and surprised to find this thread. While 'bargains' and PLCB have been an oxymoron on the past, clever searching cann indeed offer some of the best deals in the country.

I just relocated back to the Lehigh Valley from Santa Barbara, CA - wine heaven. Was there for 3 years and prior to that here in the Lehigh Valley for 10 years. Obviously, I was spoiled by the Santa Barabara wine gods and we can talk more about that if anyone desires. Sticking to the theme of this thread, I have been pleasantly surprised to see that the Chairman has been progressing and I have a few tales to tell.

First, a wine tasting note from tonight, the 2000 Abadia Retuerta Seclection Especial. Parker raved: Quoted at $24.00 Save $11.00

WINE ADVOCATE 91 points: "This unfiltered blend of 65% Tempranillo, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 5% Merlot saw malolactic in barrel, and aging in French as well as American oak for 16 months. Bordeaux-like, it exhibits a dense ruby/purple color in addition to a bouquet of sweet tobacco, black currants, and leathery aromas, medium to full body, terrific purity, an enduring texture, and a long finish revealing moderate but ripe tannin. This beauty should drink well for 10-12 years."

My comments - all smoky chocolate covered cherries. No hesitation to buy more. Great deal. Ready to drink and obvious sediment on the sides of the bottle.

Also, found recently the 2002 Billi Billi Mt. Langi Ghiran Shiraz $11.99 regular price in PA - not the Chairmans. Hope to find some 2003 of the same sometime....

My notes: a great find and price cannot be beat. on Wine Spectator top 100 of last year. Currant and jam, but not over the top Shiraz. Food frendly and again no hesitation to recommend. A little short on the finish. Finding it in PA at $11.99 was reason enough to buy the last 15 bottles in this area from Lancaster store, and they even transferred for free to Allentown store. What a deal.

So, I'll keep searching and reading everyone else's notes. Looking forward to more virtual tastings.

Cheers!

Carrington

BTW,

If you're a wine geek like me, you might be interested in subscribing to the mailing list offered by a Washington state store which has very interesting offers and the email descriptions are great - witness for the Billi Billi:

6/8/05

“Dear Friends,

When was the last time you tasted a real Shiraz? Possibly never.  Throw out your preconception of what Shiraz or Shiraz blends taste like and I encourage everyone to try at least one bottle of this wine - to rediscover a passion for one of the world’s finest values.

I apologize for two long-winded diatribes in a row but this producer deserves your attention as much as the Boschkloof from yesterday.  This offer is a rallying cry for everyone that has gone out on a limb at some point in their lives to do what is right even though the establishment told you it was wrong.  This is the story of Trevor Mast, Australia’s original cult winemaker.

Before there was Three Rivers, Chris Ringland, Rolf Binder or Greenock Creek there was Trevor Mast (in a way, Australia’s answer to Terry Leighton from Kalin). From the late 1970’s, his Shiraz at Mt. Langi Ghiran winery was a Victorian inspiration to thousands of would-be winemakers and creative artists in the Melbourne area and beyond (he was so successful as the winemaker at Mt. Langi that he took full ownership of the property in the late 1980s).  Unlike the South Australian winemakers and wineries mentioned above, Mast has always followed a non-interventionist approach - one that was frowned upon in those days where formulaic winemaking and chemical additions were the norm.  His dedication to organic farming, releasing wines on his own schedule and a resuscitation of traditional methods was not only years ahead of its time but was partly responsible for the modern overture that is Australian Shiraz.

Mt Langi is at the precipice of one of Australia’s most intense growing sites – torrid by day and freezing cold at night.  This incredible swing of temperature can produce a wine with outstanding natural acidity and Cote Rotie-like aromatics (sans Viognier).  The virgin soil of this area of Victoria is some of the most mineral rich in the country with endless possibilities for growing fruit.

Trevor Mast has struggled for over 25 years to tame the natural, wild nature of this area – to bring a drinkable, yet still exotic and singular expression of the Shiraz grape to your dinner table.  Past vintages of Mt. Langi Ghiran are legendary with collectors in Australia, especially profound wines such as the 1989.  Never one to seek publicity, he missed the Parker Shiraz explosion circa 2000 preferring to toil away in his remote corner of the country instead of capitalizing on the exposure.  In addition, he would not budge from his less dense style of winemaking even though the international audience was begging for more and more of everything, especially color and extract.  Maybe he missed the chance to cash in but more likely he retained his integrity.  This is a man so dedicated to his land that he holed himself up like a scientist for nearly a year to invent a contiguous 20 foot high suspended 10-20 acre bird net that covers the entire Shiraz Block (yes, I said one piece of fabric – think about that for a moment). Now considered one of the wonders of Australia, pilots use it as a guiding beacon when flying from Sydney to Adelaide.

From the winery: “The vineyards of Mount Langi Ghiran are nestled between two dramatically beautiful mountain ranges on the southern edge of the Great Dividing Range in Western Victoria, 180 km west of Melbourne. Pronounced "Mount Langee Jeeran", the name is Aboriginal for "Home of the Yellow-Tailed Black Cockatoo". The initial vineyards were planted by the Fratin brothers in 1963, on the site of a vineyard that had been in operation at the turn of the century. Their first plantings were Shiraz, and initially, the grapes were sold to neighboring winemakers. The exceptionally high quality of their fruit quickly drew a strong following and encouraged the Fratins to begin making their own wine.

The vineyards are located in a spectacular setting, at an elevation of 450 meters, situated at the base of the 540 meter cliff-face of Mt Langi Ghiran. Directly opposite, approximately 3 km away, is the Mt. Cole State Forest which extends for a further 30 km.

Derived from ancient Ordovician red clays, the soils are ironstone quartz and sandy loam over a friable loam clay rich in minerals. They provide good drainage and promote excellent root growth.

The Shiraz vines at Mount Langi Ghiran, which range up to 40 years in age, are particularly suited to these conditions. It is during the long ripening period that our signature intense spicy, pepper flavours develop, and the excellent sugar-acid structure is preserved. The soil profile enhances our control of the vine's water requirements allowing the vines to naturally stress at critical periods of growth which further concentrates fruit flavour. Each vintage, our vineyard and winemaking teams seek to capture the cool climate characters of pepper and spice, while attaining rich, ripe fruit flavours.”

Mt. Langi Ghiran produces several wines but today’s offer focuses on the The Billi Billi Creek - a floundering label without a true home.  The problem has been that Mt. Langi produces two other 100% Shiraz above this wine and the confusion was acute for the US consumer (all labels looked nearly identical).  After a few years of merely decent bargain priced Billi Billi Creek wines, Trevor Mast decided to reinvent the Billi Billi Creek in 2002 as a new super-premium label that would captivate and showcase the true organic essence of Victorian Shiraz.  This is where our offer comes in.

The 2002 Billi Billi Creek is the first release of the much more ambitious version.  It is going to turn heads in the bargain Shiraz world.  This is the first Billi Billi Creek with a majority of Langi Estate Shiraz in the blend instead of purchased Mouvedre and Grenache from other sites.  With the new pedigree comes a higher price but we are offering it today for last year’s bargain tariff.  We can only offer this price once.

After tasting so many massive, over-extracted, high-alcohol wines from South Australia, this wine will be surprising to say the least (like tasting authentic Italian Parmesan versus domestic “parmesan”).  I will go out on a limb and predict this will be the favorite Shiraz of many, especially those that have sworn off the overdone concoctions from the Barossa or McLaren Vale or those that have tired of “meals in a glass”.  If you are currently drinking Cote du Rhone or you like wine from the Northern Rhone or Burgundy, you may have found your everyday delight. 

The anti-oozemonster (BruceL®), this is a renegade Shiraz blend the way it was in the 1970s or early 1980s with soaring cracked black pepper in the nose, light licorice and a silky, medium bodied Burgundian texture with amazing natural acids (a critical element that is typically absent from South Australian Shiraz).  This is the true synthesis of Burgundy and Australia – a combination that was highly desirable during this period Down Under (most red wines in the 1970s were simply called “Claret” or “Burgundy” even thought they were made from Shiraz).  This wine begs for another sip and it would make a very interesting comparison to other recently offered Shiraz such as the Winner’s Tank (which is 100% opposite in style).  A lovely gem that will appeal to almost everyone on the email list at a price that is a breath of fresh air.

Nearly anyone can create a successful wine with a big enough marketing team and the right formula – it takes a dedicated and artisanal pioneer to stay true to his roots – the vine roots that is:

ONE SHIPMENT ONLY AT THIS PRICE

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for so many reasons including absurd value and organic expression of place.

2002 Mt. Langi Ghiran Billi Billi Creek – $11.99  STRICT LIMIT 24/person

Due to pricing this offer is FIRST COME FIRST SERVED

email Niki@garagistewine.com to get on mailing list - some great descriptions even if you never order!

Welcome to E Gullet Carrington. Nice initial post and we look forward to more of the same. Yes, some of us are indeed wine geeks and it's great that you are familiar with our new Chairmans Selection program. Stay tuned to this and other threads about upcoming Chairmans dinners. It sounds like you would certainly enjoy one of these and get to meet Jonathan Newman, Chairman himself, responsible for these awesome deals.

Notice any changes in the PALCB since you've been gone?! I know it ain't Santa Barbara, but for this side of the USA, it's pretty damn fine indeed.

Jeff L

Yes, seems to me that the number of good offers has increased in number and diversity. I typically search upcoming Chairman's selections vs. winezap.com pricing to see how 'good' the bargains are. The one thing I typically cannot find are my real house wines - good quality price ratios at say $4.99. Very difficult to find that here. An example of that might be (for the no guilt, break it out anytime wine that you can serve to your non-wine caring friends) Yellowtail Shiraz or some Spanish Grenache based wines like Borsao - $4.99 in CA at Trader Joes, best price $6.99 here a 40% premium. Not a lot of $, but it's the principle.

If anyone has any questions about Santa Barbara wines, please let me know. I dived in deep as I could when we lived there and retain some lon term memory. In fact, a great wine event, if you can afford the trip, is the Wine Cask (www.winecask.com) Santa Barbara WIne Futures event. Wow, what fun...

Hi everyone:

I am a new member to this forum so let me add some background followed by a tasting note. I was quite happy and surprised to find this thread. While 'bargains' and PLCB have been an oxymoron on the past, clever searching cann indeed offer some of the best deals in the country.

I just relocated back to the Lehigh Valley from Santa Barbara, CA - wine heaven. Was there for 3 years and prior to that here in the Lehigh Valley for 10 years. Obviously, I was spoiled by the Santa Barabara wine gods and we can talk more about that if anyone desires. Sticking to the theme of this thread, I have been pleasantly surprised to see that the Chairman has been progressing and I have a few tales to tell.

First, a wine tasting note from tonight, the 2000 Abadia Retuerta Seclection Especial. Parker raved: Quoted at $24.00 Save $11.00

WINE ADVOCATE 91 points: "This unfiltered blend of 65% Tempranillo, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 5% Merlot saw malolactic in barrel, and aging in French as well as American oak for 16 months. Bordeaux-like, it exhibits a dense ruby/purple color in addition to a bouquet of sweet tobacco, black currants, and leathery aromas, medium to full body, terrific purity, an enduring texture, and a long finish revealing moderate but ripe tannin. This beauty should drink well for 10-12 years."

My comments - all smoky chocolate covered cherries. No hesitation to buy more. Great deal. Ready to drink and obvious sediment on the sides of the bottle.

Also, found recently the 2002 Billi Billi Mt. Langi Ghiran Shiraz $11.99 regular price in PA - not the Chairmans. Hope to find some 2003 of the same sometime....

My notes: a great find and price cannot be beat. on Wine Spectator top 100 of last year. Currant and jam, but not over the top Shiraz. Food frendly and again no hesitation to recommend. A little short on the finish. Finding it in PA at $11.99 was reason enough to buy the last 15 bottles in this area from Lancaster store, and they even transferred for free to Allentown store. What a deal.

So, I'll keep searching and reading everyone else's notes. Looking forward to more virtual tastings.

Cheers!

Carrington

BTW,

If you're a wine geek like me, you might be interested in subscribing to the mailing list offered by a Washington state store which has very interesting offers and the email descriptions are great - witness for the Billi Billi:

6/8/05

“Dear Friends,

When was the last time you tasted a real Shiraz? Possibly never.  Throw out your preconception of what Shiraz or Shiraz blends taste like and I encourage everyone to try at least one bottle of this wine - to rediscover a passion for one of the world’s finest values.

I apologize for two long-winded diatribes in a row but this producer deserves your attention as much as the Boschkloof from yesterday.  This offer is a rallying cry for everyone that has gone out on a limb at some point in their lives to do what is right even though the establishment told you it was wrong.  This is the story of Trevor Mast, Australia’s original cult winemaker.

Before there was Three Rivers, Chris Ringland, Rolf Binder or Greenock Creek there was Trevor Mast (in a way, Australia’s answer to Terry Leighton from Kalin). From the late 1970’s, his Shiraz at Mt. Langi Ghiran winery was a Victorian inspiration to thousands of would-be winemakers and creative artists in the Melbourne area and beyond (he was so successful as the winemaker at Mt. Langi that he took full ownership of the property in the late 1980s).  Unlike the South Australian winemakers and wineries mentioned above, Mast has always followed a non-interventionist approach - one that was frowned upon in those days where formulaic winemaking and chemical additions were the norm.  His dedication to organic farming, releasing wines on his own schedule and a resuscitation of traditional methods was not only years ahead of its time but was partly responsible for the modern overture that is Australian Shiraz.

Mt Langi is at the precipice of one of Australia’s most intense growing sites – torrid by day and freezing cold at night.  This incredible swing of temperature can produce a wine with outstanding natural acidity and Cote Rotie-like aromatics (sans Viognier).  The virgin soil of this area of Victoria is some of the most mineral rich in the country with endless possibilities for growing fruit.

Trevor Mast has struggled for over 25 years to tame the natural, wild nature of this area – to bring a drinkable, yet still exotic and singular expression of the Shiraz grape to your dinner table.  Past vintages of Mt. Langi Ghiran are legendary with collectors in Australia, especially profound wines such as the 1989.  Never one to seek publicity, he missed the Parker Shiraz explosion circa 2000 preferring to toil away in his remote corner of the country instead of capitalizing on the exposure.  In addition, he would not budge from his less dense style of winemaking even though the international audience was begging for more and more of everything, especially color and extract.  Maybe he missed the chance to cash in but more likely he retained his integrity.  This is a man so dedicated to his land that he holed himself up like a scientist for nearly a year to invent a contiguous 20 foot high suspended 10-20 acre bird net that covers the entire Shiraz Block (yes, I said one piece of fabric – think about that for a moment). Now considered one of the wonders of Australia, pilots use it as a guiding beacon when flying from Sydney to Adelaide.

From the winery: “The vineyards of Mount Langi Ghiran are nestled between two dramatically beautiful mountain ranges on the southern edge of the Great Dividing Range in Western Victoria, 180 km west of Melbourne. Pronounced "Mount Langee Jeeran", the name is Aboriginal for "Home of the Yellow-Tailed Black Cockatoo". The initial vineyards were planted by the Fratin brothers in 1963, on the site of a vineyard that had been in operation at the turn of the century. Their first plantings were Shiraz, and initially, the grapes were sold to neighboring winemakers. The exceptionally high quality of their fruit quickly drew a strong following and encouraged the Fratins to begin making their own wine.

The vineyards are located in a spectacular setting, at an elevation of 450 meters, situated at the base of the 540 meter cliff-face of Mt Langi Ghiran. Directly opposite, approximately 3 km away, is the Mt. Cole State Forest which extends for a further 30 km.

Derived from ancient Ordovician red clays, the soils are ironstone quartz and sandy loam over a friable loam clay rich in minerals. They provide good drainage and promote excellent root growth.

The Shiraz vines at Mount Langi Ghiran, which range up to 40 years in age, are particularly suited to these conditions. It is during the long ripening period that our signature intense spicy, pepper flavours develop, and the excellent sugar-acid structure is preserved. The soil profile enhances our control of the vine's water requirements allowing the vines to naturally stress at critical periods of growth which further concentrates fruit flavour. Each vintage, our vineyard and winemaking teams seek to capture the cool climate characters of pepper and spice, while attaining rich, ripe fruit flavours.”

Mt. Langi Ghiran produces several wines but today’s offer focuses on the The Billi Billi Creek - a floundering label without a true home.  The problem has been that Mt. Langi produces two other 100% Shiraz above this wine and the confusion was acute for the US consumer (all labels looked nearly identical).  After a few years of merely decent bargain priced Billi Billi Creek wines, Trevor Mast decided to reinvent the Billi Billi Creek in 2002 as a new super-premium label that would captivate and showcase the true organic essence of Victorian Shiraz.  This is where our offer comes in.

The 2002 Billi Billi Creek is the first release of the much more ambitious version.  It is going to turn heads in the bargain Shiraz world.  This is the first Billi Billi Creek with a majority of Langi Estate Shiraz in the blend instead of purchased Mouvedre and Grenache from other sites.  With the new pedigree comes a higher price but we are offering it today for last year’s bargain tariff.  We can only offer this price once.

After tasting so many massive, over-extracted, high-alcohol wines from South Australia, this wine will be surprising to say the least (like tasting authentic Italian Parmesan versus domestic “parmesan”).  I will go out on a limb and predict this will be the favorite Shiraz of many, especially those that have sworn off the overdone concoctions from the Barossa or McLaren Vale or those that have tired of “meals in a glass”.  If you are currently drinking Cote du Rhone or you like wine from the Northern Rhone or Burgundy, you may have found your everyday delight. 

The anti-oozemonster (BruceL®), this is a renegade Shiraz blend the way it was in the 1970s or early 1980s with soaring cracked black pepper in the nose, light licorice and a silky, medium bodied Burgundian texture with amazing natural acids (a critical element that is typically absent from South Australian Shiraz).  This is the true synthesis of Burgundy and Australia – a combination that was highly desirable during this period Down Under (most red wines in the 1970s were simply called “Claret” or “Burgundy” even thought they were made from Shiraz).  This wine begs for another sip and it would make a very interesting comparison to other recently offered Shiraz such as the Winner’s Tank (which is 100% opposite in style).  A lovely gem that will appeal to almost everyone on the email list at a price that is a breath of fresh air.

Nearly anyone can create a successful wine with a big enough marketing team and the right formula – it takes a dedicated and artisanal pioneer to stay true to his roots – the vine roots that is:

ONE SHIPMENT ONLY AT THIS PRICE

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for so many reasons including absurd value and organic expression of place.

2002 Mt. Langi Ghiran Billi Billi Creek – $11.99  STRICT LIMIT 24/person

Due to pricing this offer is FIRST COME FIRST SERVED

email Niki@garagistewine.com to get on mailing list - some great descriptions even if you never order!

Welcome to E Gullet Carrington. Nice initial post and we look forward to more of the same. Yes, some of us are indeed wine geeks and it's great that you are familiar with our new Chairmans Selection program. Stay tuned to this and other threads about upcoming Chairmans dinners. It sounds like you would certainly enjoy one of these and get to meet Jonathan Newman, Chairman himself, responsible for these awesome deals.

Notice any changes in the PALCB since you've been gone?! I know it ain't Santa Barbara, but for this side of the USA, it's pretty damn fine indeed.

Jeff L

welcome.gif

Welcome Carrington! Nice first post, friend! I hope you occasionally have a chance to join us PhilleGullet Wine Geeks for an event. We'll look forward to meeting you.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Carrington, it's really tough to find any decent wines at the $5.00 pricepoint here in PA. Rather, I think it's well worth the extra five bucks to get a really decent Shiraz (Bleasdale comes to mind) or take advantage of the Lineage discussed upthread, both for $9.99. It is a terrific deal. I have almost 3 cases of the Bleasdale Shiraz and drink it most every night. I just picked up a case of the Lineage as well. Not sure if there's any Bleasdale left in the stores, but what a nice wine. Ditto for the Lineage and that just shipped so there should be lots on hand.

I agree with you about Trader Joe's and wish we could have wine in the few stores in PA, but oh well.

As to Santa Barbara, I have dear friends who have lived there for the past 20 years and had the luxury of touring both Byron and Foxen vineyards. It is simply the most beautiful part of So Cal in my view.

Catching up here after business travel and general crazieness....

Thanks to Katie and mrbigjas for the warm welcome. I look forward to joining the community and will post notes.

Segue to dissenting note on Lineage Cab - I really appreciated the heads-up and ran out to grab a few, hoping to taste then buy more. Unfortunately, I was underwhelmed. The initial taste is quite good, in a classic cab way - nice black fruit and some cocoa - but then the wine completely disappears. I now understand what experienced tasters refer to as 'a hole in the mid-palate'. The wine returns for a short, somewhat clipped, finish. I don't find this a flawed wine, and would definitely consider it if I needed an inexpensive cab to serve to a group of non-winos; on the other hand, not a further purchase for me right now (as I don't have that need :cool: .

OTOH, had a 2003 Ch Segries Lirac last night that was singing. No detailed note, as it was a gift from a friend and is not a PLCB wine, but a great $12.00 bottle.

Thanks to Carrington for the reference point on the Abadia Retuerta.

Kevin

thanks for the note on the lineage, kevin. i bought a bottle yesterday, and plan on having it sometime this week.

i just checked and the abadia is still in stock at the store down on delaware avenue; i'll pick some up this morning.

carrington--thanks for the notes about the billi billi shiraz--sometimes with cooler climate syrahs i find that white pepper note slighty overpowering, but going in the opposite direction and making them intensely alcoholic fruit bombs like so many people are now is a much worse transgression in my book. not that 'my book' means anything to anyone but me, of course. but either way if this thing is as described, i'll be very interested.

anyway, a quick search for the billi billi shows that there are about 30 bottles in williamsport and none anywhere else. fortunately i'll be up there next weekend so i'll see if i can get to the store and check them out...

TN: Lineage Vineyards Cabernet 2001

I swear this has to be a declassified Freemark Abbey and at $10 bucks its a QPR no brainer. Great cab taste, not overoaked, great weight and mouthfeel. What a deal.

Best,

Mike

Mike:

You beat me to this one. I just had a bottle of this with my dinner last night. Fabulous wine at an amazing price. Much more French in style than big and blowsy Californian in style. Incredibly smooth and well balanced. Lots of bright black cherry and cassis flavor with a hint of spice and cocoa too. Brilliant stuff at $10. I'm going back for more!

And you are correct. I think this is a second label of Freemark Abbey, who has consistently put out excellent wines over the years.

My local store shows 1,263 units on hand! Could this be right? Has anyone tried their Chardonay?

There's a lot of this around, but I'm not sure that 1,263 units isn't a typo. I didn't see the Chardonnay desplayed at my local shop yet, but the website shows some inventory there. I'll probably go back a buy half a case of the Cabernet and some of the Chardonnay to try as well.

Jeff L if you try the chardonnay first please report back!

I picked up a bottle today and wasn't particularly impressed. I'm not a white wine guy but do enjoy the bigger white burgundys and I also especially like the Byron Chard from the last Chairmans Selection.

This has all the usual suspects, pear, honey, decent acidity- Not a bad wine, I just won't be getting any more.

Katie, not too much oak present so you might like it

This has all the usual suspects, pear, honey, decent acidity- Not a bad wine, I just won't be getting any more.

Katie, not too much oak present so you might like it

too much oak for me.

on the other hand, the cab was pretty good, but i'm kinda with kevin on this one--there was nothing wrong with it per se, but i kinda missed something in the middle. i would totally buy a bunch of it for a party but for myself (and since it's mainly only me doing the drinking at home, that's the only criteria i have) i'll keep looking for more interesting wines.

Had another bottle of the Castello di Brolio Chianti with dinner at Sovalo Monday. Much more impressive with better food. Absolutely silky dark, sour cherry fruit, less acidity than I get from most Sangiovese, but beautiful. A bit shut down just now, but excellent extraction and depth of fruit. I'm going to try to pick up another half-case.

Also, just got a look at the Coming Attractions on the PLCB website, and there are some very sexy Tuscan and Piedmontese cuties heading our way, chilluns! Also, the new vintage of the Omaka Springs Sauvignon Blanc is coming in at a dollar less, $7.99/btl. That, my friends, is a trend I like.

Ah well. Rent, shment.

Also, just got a look at the Coming Attractions on the PLCB website, and there are some very sexy Tuscan and Piedmontese cuties heading our way, chilluns! Also, the new vintage of the Omaka Springs Sauvignon Blanc is coming in at a dollar less, $7.99/btl. That, my friends, is a trend I like.

Ah well. Rent, shment.

Yes! Although still expensive, the Sette Ponti Oreno 2003 is about half price compared to its suggested list and a great bargain if a quick review of Zachy's and Wine.com is any indication. The $44.99 is more than I like to spend but a few bottles might warrant some space. Besides, my cellar is currently bereft of any Italian wines so a little budget juggling may be in order. The PLCB web site indicates late March arrival so I'll keep my eyes pealed!

The Omaka Springs Sauvignon Blanc was nice last year and, with that convenient screw top, makes for a refreshing summer evening on the porch :cool: .

Yes! Although still expensive, the Sette Ponti Oreno 2003 is about half price compared to its suggested list and a great bargain if a quick review of Zachy's and Wine.com is any indication. The $44.99 is more than I like to spend but a few bottles might warrant some space. Besides, my cellar is currently bereft of any Italian wines so a little budget juggling may be in order. The PLCB web site indicates late March arrival so I'll keep my eyes pealed!

That is really a good deal on the Sette Ponti. A quick check on winesearcher pro shows the cheapest to be 65 and the rest begin at 75 dollars. the average is clearly $100 a bottle. This confirms Doviakw's suspicion that it is a great bargain.

This is also Wine Spectator's #5 of the top 100 for 2005.

This also points out a good example of when the Chairman selections can really benefit, giving someone who doesn't normally have the opportunity to taste higher end wines exactly that chance. Often this is at the expense of an "off" vintage but not in this case. Many wines, touted as x dollars below retail are not as good a deal when comparing to the marketplace pricing. This is one excellent offer that I will be making room for. $45 is not chump change but it's worth considering folks.

Thanks for the heads up. :biggrin:

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

That is really a good deal on the Sette Ponti. A quick check on winesearcher pro shows the cheapest to be 65 and the rest begin at 75 dollars. the average is clearly $100 a bottle. This confirms Doviakw's suspicion that it is a great bargain.

This is also Wine Spectator's #5 of the top 100 for 2005.

This also points out a good example of when the Chairman selections can really benefit, giving someone who doesn't normally have the opportunity to taste higher end wines exactly that chance. Often this is at the expense of an "off" vintage but not in this case. Many wines, touted as x dollars below retail are not as good a deal when comparing to the marketplace pricing. This is one excellent offer that I will be making room for. $45 is not chump change but it's worth considering folks.

Thanks for the heads up. :biggrin:

Evan

The rest of the Setti Ponti lineup is also pretty good, and it's heading our way.

$45 is a bit rich for my blood.

Just back from the Delaware Avenue South Philly shop and there's loads of Chairman's Selections to be had. Entire line of Flora Springs wines - Chardonnay, Merlot, Poggio del Papa, Soliloquy and Trilogy all in evidence. Murphy-Goode "Wild Card" Claret at $12.99, plenty of the Byron wines and an interesting looking $7.89 Kaiken Malbec that I'll report back on when I open it.

Get 'em while they're hot folks!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Just back from the Delaware Avenue South Philly shop and there's loads of Chairman's Selections to be had.  Entire line of Flora Springs wines - Chardonnay, Merlot, Poggio del Papa, Soliloquy and Trilogy all in evidence.  Murphy-Goode "Wild Card" Claret at $12.99, plenty of the Byron wines and an interesting looking $7.89 Kaiken Malbec that I'll report back on when I open it.

Let me know about that Kaiken: very much in the market for an inexpensive Malbec with real varietal character. I've liked the ones I've had that weren't JAP wines, but too many are...

Just back from the Delaware Avenue South Philly shop and there's loads of Chairman's Selections to be had.  Entire line of Flora Springs wines - Chardonnay, Merlot, Poggio del Papa, Soliloquy and Trilogy all in evidence.  Murphy-Goode "Wild Card" Claret at $12.99, plenty of the Byron wines and an interesting looking $7.89 Kaiken Malbec that I'll report back on when I open it.

Any of the Beringer Private Reserve show up in your travels?

Wasn't looking for it, but the website says there's very little around. Which are you looking for, the Cabernet or the Chardonnay?

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I've been phoning multiple locations for the Beringer Reserve the past two weeks... not in yet by all accounts, although the Ardmore store did get in a half case of the 1997s earlier this month.

The 1996 and 1997 Luce magnums are in. No word on the Sette.

Wasn't looking for it, but the website says there's very little around. Which are you looking for, the Cabernet or the Chardonnay?

With Beringer Private Reserve, red rules Katie. I actually asked my local store to put aside a case of the 96 Cabernet but haven't heard back yet. Website said mid March I think

With Beringer Private Reserve, red rules Katie. I actually asked my local store to put aside a case of the 96 Cabernet but haven't heard back yet. Website said mid March I think

Late March. I'd be surprised if any one store gets much more than a case, so I'd ride herd on your people, if I were you.

I'm not usually a big fan of Tawny Ports, but I make an exception with the Buller Tawny. As I was so taken with their Muscat, I thought I'd try a bottle of the Tawny and was not disappointed.

While it's no vintage port by any means, it still has a very nice feel to it, kind of vintage port light if you will. I really enjoy the bigger bolder vintage ports but if you're in the mood for something satisfying yet light on the finish, try this one

Let me know about that Kaiken: very much in the market for an inexpensive Malbec with real varietal character. I've liked the ones I've had that weren't JAP wines, but too many are...

Tried a bottle of the Kaiken Malbec over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised. I had it the first night with food ... pork buns from the Mayflower bakery on Race ... and at first found it rather tight without much of a finish. Nice black fruits with enough tannin to hold up to the barbequed pork. The second night's sample drunk without food was much more open with the fruit coming out and the tannins receding. Very nice depth of flavor with the finish lingering more than the first time. I would say decant on the first day to open it up. The second day's taste (2 glasses, actually) convinced me to buy a case as I think it will make a fine everyday wine.

I don't have enough experience to comment on its varietal character.

Had a few glasses of the Kaiken Malbec tonight with Tortellini in a Vodka Sauce that I'd made and froze last week. Delicious wine for a ridiculously low price! Very dark fruit character and surprisingly soft tannins for Malbec. I'm going to go buy a case of this for everyday wine ASAP, before it disappears.

And the Vodka Sauce? I make mine with a lot of browned bits of Pancetta so the smoky character of the wine worked quite well. And you know I'm always looking for new ways to incorporate more Vodka into my diet... :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

The Beringer Private Reserve cabs are on the web site this AM.  The product search page shows them as being in the stores (that is, not SLO) but search returns no results.

Gotta try that malbec - thanks for the heads up!

Kevin, look at the upcoming chairmans selections and you will see they have pushed the arrival date from late March to early April for Beringer Private Reserve Cabs 95 through 99.