• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 2)

jwjon1

I should clarify - the Beringer Cabs are available for order at www.pawineandspirits.com as of this AM. They are also listed on the PLCB Product Search page as available in Premium Collection stores, but the search for the actual stores returns no results.

Happy hunting! To rich for me given all my other recent purchases :blink:

I should clarify - the Beringer Cabs are available for order at www.pawineandspirits.com as of this AM.  They are also listed on the PLCB Product Search page as available in Premium Collection stores, but the search for the actual stores returns no results.

Happy hunting!  To rich for me given all my other recent purchases  :blink:

Thanks for the update Kevin. The inventory is beginning to trickle out and should reach the eastern shore soon enough. I was psyched to grab some of these but I think I may wait and break my piggy bank open for the sette pontis instead.

Dough can sense fear.

i recently drank my way through a couple of bottles of the 2002 murphy-goode 'wild card' claret, an alexander valley bordeaux-style blend.

for $12.99 it's not the cheapest bottle, but it's a really pleasant one--rich, lush, with lots of black fruit and spices, and enough tannin/acid structure to make you sit up and take note--really to me, a damn good example of what a new world bordeaux blend can be, not too overripe or alcoholic, but big and interesting.

it seems to hover around $18-24 per bottle on line, so at $13 it's a nice deal. i think i'll have some more tonight. i think i'll buy some more tomorrow. why not?

I should clarify - the Beringer Cabs are available for order at www.pawineandspirits.com as of this AM.  They are also listed on the PLCB Product Search page as available in Premium Collection stores, but the search for the actual stores returns no results.

Happy hunting!  To rich for me given all my other recent purchases  :blink:

I just did a product search and two stores in the state have inventory, Hanover and Lancaster.

Thanks Deidre. I happened to be in Friday to pick up a case of the Kaiken Malbec and lo and behold, they had the shipments of Beringer. I am happy now!

That Kaiken is kickin', great wine at an even greater price

Tried to get one little teeny weeny bottle of the Kalkan Malbec and stocks were good 2 days ago in City Ave and Narberth. Now there are none. Man. Someone is busy hogging them up. Maybe if someone has one, I will trade with them for something when we see each other next.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Tried to get one little teeny weeny bottle of the Kalkan Malbec and stocks were good 2 days ago in City Ave and Narberth.  Now there are none.  Man.  Someone is busy hogging them up.  Maybe if someone has one, I will trade with them for something when we see each other next.

Evan

Evan, I have most of my case left and I will gladly trade you for one of the Cakebread cabs. :biggrin:

They have 22 units of Kaiken at Yardley - MCcaffrey's market.

What ever happened to the Achával-Ferrer Quimera Mendoza, Argentina 2003? It was on the upcoming Chairmans Selection for April but mysteriously disapperaed.

Deidre, can you weigh in on this important question??

Tried to get one little teeny weeny bottle of the Kalkan Malbec and stocks were good 2 days ago in City Ave and Narberth.  Now there are none.  Man.  Someone is busy hogging them up.  Maybe if someone has one, I will trade with them for something when we see each other next.

Evan

Evan, I have most of my case left and I will gladly trade you for one of the Cakebread cabs. :biggrin:

haha, i was just about to offer a bottle for some of that px sherry...

There were a few of the Kaiken malbecs at Bryn Mawr yesterday - less after I left, though  :cool:

They're still available for order on the website. Also, the website was updated this AM - lots of new stuff, primarily aussie.

Went to Narberth as the site said there was a bottle left. I got there and they didn't know where it could be. I have said it up thread and I will say it again - NARBERTH staff is totally clueless and Newman would plotz if he were a fly on the wall there for a day. There are under construction getting a temp controlled room. Good luck with that unless they get some people who have an iota of wine knowledge. A remnant of the good old days is that store. :angry:

On a lighter note, JeffL and mrbigjas, all you need to do is show up at my place and I will open any bottle you want! la Mia bottiglila e la tua bottiglia

Dough can sense fear.

The sette ponti crognolo 03, little brother of the Oreno, is all of a sudden all over the place..... $19.99 is a great price. Best stock in CC seems to be 19th and chestnut. I have not tried this yet but hope to tomorrow. :biggrin:

Dough can sense fear.

Has anyone tasted one of the Silvio Nardi's?  I believe the 1999 was available in the stores last year.

Neil

The 99 was available last year Neil and I thought it was pretty good for the price although I didn't stock up on it. I have not had the 98. If you try any of these, post your thoughts.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

The Luce also didn't make it to plcb shelves. It was coming in and then it was gone. I wonder who got it all?

Best,

Mike

The Luce showed up a couple of weeks ago. I picked up the last 1997 from the Bryn Mawr store, and they had at least a case of the 1996 remaining at that point. Haven't found occasion to crack it open yet as its a little more challenging making a random excuse to open a mag!

Looks like the 96 is still around... give em a ring to hold for you, or you might be in the same boat as shacke with such few bottles remaining:

http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/WebApp/Product_...sp?cdeNo=024136

Free shipping through 4/16/06 for any purchases from the PLCB Website.

Giddyup! Time to do some shopping for that which eludes you at your local store!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

2003 Pegau CNDP is in the PA system at $55, which is lowest in the country thanks to glowing reviews. Right now, there are a handful, all in the Pittsburgh and Harrisburg areas. I got some delivered from PGH to my local store by calling the store that had them. I had to pay shipping, but the transaction was very prompt.

Interesting that when I've tried to initiate that kind of transaction from the receiving store they've always given me a hard time and I've only been partially successful. I've waited weeks, and sometimes not gotten the wine.

Also interesting (to me :wink: ) that this wine was on the Product page weeks before it hit any stores. The Mags of the same wine are still on the page and not in any stores. And finally (phew), the Da Capo (which is too rich for me but was priced $100 under anywhere else in the US) was on the site for one day - 3 bottles in a H-burg, gone in a day.

[Edited as I just realized Shacke beat me to the punch] As Shacke pointed out, the 2003 Setti Ponti Crognolo are in few select stores now.

http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/WebApp/Product_...sp?cdeNo=023545

No word on the Oreno, but I'm looking forward to cracking open its little brother this weekend.

Edited by jwjon1 (log)