• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 2)

jwjon1

So I kept putting off posting until I heard more of Jonathan’s shopping trip…then I started to hear rumblings 20,000 25,000 30,000 cases purchased on the latest trip only to find out that it was actually 40,000 of delicious juice coming our way :biggrin: …I know it is pretty slim pickings out there right now but some pretty good things will start to come in the next two weeks all the way up to Mid-April. I wanted to wait to post until I had a change to see and taste some of the upcoming Chairman’s Selections so here goes with the best of the bunch quick notes:

Beringer 1995 Reserve, drinking beautifully right now, rating wise, the ‘97’s scored higher by the experts but if I had to pick one of the 4 vintages coming in I would go with the ‘95’s (The Chairman purchased the ’95, ’96, ’97 and ’99 vintage). Although all of the Beringers showed well I thought the ’96 and ’99 had more vegetable eucalyptus flavors than I tend to like.

The 2001 vintage of the Cinq Cepages (we previously had the ’00 as a C.S.) Really like this I wasn’t too crazy about the 2000 but the ’01 was very pretty.

The St. Supery Cabernet ’01 is my top undervalued wine @$13. I would stock up on this. Good structure good fruit very nice.

Flora Springs Poggio Del Papa ’03 ( a super-tuscan style blend) Very nice especially at $18 well balanced and structured.

Vasse Felix Shiraz ’03 Big fruit wine delicious beautiful nose jammy raspberry and jammy black raspberry I know I wrote jammy twice but if you never tasted jammed fruit in wine this might be the perfect inexpensive example at $12

The Sanford Chardonnay ’03 at $12 is a real bargain very nice great structured Chard lemon and clean finish.

Freemark Abbey Viognier a very nice round honeysuckle and stone fruit wine.

Cheers,

-Deidre

So I kept putting off posting until I heard more of Jonathan’s shopping trip…then I started to hear rumblings 20,000 25,000 30,000 cases purchased on the latest trip only to find out that it was actually 40,000 of delicious juice coming our way :biggrin: …I know it is pretty slim pickings out there right now but some pretty good things will start to come in the next two weeks all the way up to Mid-April.  I wanted to wait to post until I had a change to see and taste some of the upcoming Chairman’s Selections so here goes with the best of the bunch quick notes:

Beringer 1995 Reserve, drinking beautifully right now, rating wise, the ‘97’s scored higher by the experts but if I had to pick one of the 4 vintages coming in I would go with the ‘95’s (The Chairman purchased the ’95, ’96, ’97 and ’99 vintage).  Although all of the Beringers showed well I thought the ’96 and ’99 had more vegetable eucalyptus flavors than I tend to like.

The 2001 vintage of the Cinq Cepages (we previously had the ’00 as a C.S.) Really like this I wasn’t too crazy about the 2000 but the ’01 was very pretty.

The St. Supery Cabernet ’01 is my top undervalued wine @$13.  I would stock up on this.  Good structure good fruit very nice.

Flora Springs Poggio Del Papa ’03 ( a super-tuscan style blend) Very nice especially at $18 well balanced and structured.

Vasse Felix Shiraz ’03 Big fruit wine delicious beautiful nose jammy raspberry and jammy black raspberry I know I wrote jammy twice but if you never tasted jammed fruit in wine this might be the perfect inexpensive example at $12

The Sanford Chardonnay ’03 at $12 is a real bargain very nice great structured Chard lemon and clean finish.

Cheers,

-Deidre

Hey Deidre:

Thanks again for getting this information out to us. I happened by the store in McCaffreys Supermarket in Yardley to pick up some of the Latour white burgundy that was well received here and other places. While there I spoke with the clerk who told me all about the tasting in King of Prussia the other night. She also told me the Beringer Private Reserve is going to sell for $69.00. Can you confirm that? It was on a sheet and looked pretty official.

The Beringer 85 or 86 was rated a 100 by Wine Spectator a while ago and it is an insanely good wine, of course 85 and 86 were also insanely great years for Calif Cabs in general. Let us know about the price points for the 1996 and the other vintages as well if you can. The 96 (rated 90 by WS) will certainly be cellar worthy as are most of the Private Reserves from Beringer.

So I kept putting off posting until I heard more of Jonathan’s shopping trip…then I started to hear rumblings 20,000 25,000 30,000 cases purchased on the latest trip only to find out that it was actually 40,000 of delicious juice coming our way :biggrin: …I know it is pretty slim pickings out there right now but some pretty good things will start to come in the next two weeks all the way up to Mid-April.  I wanted to wait to post until I had a change to see and taste some of the upcoming Chairman’s Selections so here goes with the best of the bunch quick notes:

Beringer 1995 Reserve, drinking beautifully right now, rating wise, the ‘97’s scored higher by the experts but if I had to pick one of the 4 vintages coming in I would go with the ‘95’s (The Chairman purchased the ’95, ’96, ’97 and ’99 vintage).  Although all of the Beringers showed well I thought the ’96 and ’99 had more vegetable eucalyptus flavors than I tend to like.

The St. Supery Cabernet ’01 is my top undervalued wine @$13.  I would stock up on this.  Good structure good fruit very nice.

Cheers,

-Deidre

Hey Deidre:

Thanks again for getting this information out to us. I happened by the store in McCaffreys Supermarket in Yardley to pick up some of the Latour white burgundy that was well received here and other places. While there I spoke with the clerk who told me all about the tasting in King of Prussia the other night. She also told me the Beringer Private Reserve is going to sell for $69.00. Can you confirm that? It was on a sheet and looked pretty official.

The Beringer 85 or 86 was rated a 100 by Wine Spectator a while ago and it is an insanely good wine, of course 85 and 86 were also insanely great years for Calif Cabs in general. Let us know about the price points for the 1996 and the other vintages as well if you can. The 96 (rated 90 by WS) will certainly be cellar worthy as are most of the Private Reserves from Beringer.

No, sorry. Afraid they won't be coming in at $69. They will be coming in at $59.99.

That's the '95, '96, '97 and '99.

For future reference, I check what's up regularly at

http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/plcb/cwp/view.asp?a=1328&q=556370

On other subjects, I have some of the Abadia Retuerta coming in from the 'burbs (since we got nuthin'), and can also recommend the Castello di Brolio-Ricasoli Chianti Classico Riserva Guicciarda 2000. Textbook sangiovese juice, for a very nice $17.99.

Otherwise, I'm afraid things are, as Deidre mentioned, looking pretty spare.

No, sorry. Afraid they won't be coming in at $69. They will be coming in at $59.99.

That's the '95, '96, '97 and '99.

For future reference, I check what's up regularly at

http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/plcb/cwp/view.asp?a=1328&q=556370

On other subjects, I have some of the Abadia Retuerta coming in from the 'burbs (since we got nuthin'), and can also recommend the Castello di Brolio-Ricasoli Chianti Classico Riserva Guicciarda 2000. Textbook sangiovese juice, for a very nice $17.99.

Otherwise, I'm afraid things are, as Deidre mentioned, looking pretty spare.

I'm budgeting for three bottles of the Beringers myself, and can't decide between going with a 1995-97 vertical or just sticking within a a specific vintage (95 or 97).  I'd cellar them for the right occasion... but I'm having a hard time envisioning the suitable moment to properly enjoy what would be a moderately expensive vertical.  I like the idea of having a vert in my cellar, but question the practicality.  If I won the lottery (or didn't have a family to consider  :wink: ], there'd be no question--but as it is....   

Any inside advise for a recently bitten "collector"?

Personally, I really don't like having a single bottle: it's never the perfect time/perfect meal, and what if one or the other's coming along any day now...

Plus, as a learning experience, you get to see a wine maturing as you open the bottles over the years and take careful, detailed notes (hah!).

Verticals are really only fun if you do them as an event - or, I suppose, if you really do follow the wine through the decades, developing a sense of intimacy with the estate, and a sensitivity to the differences of vintage and of changing practices. Basically, if you're a darn sight better off than I am, is what I'm saying, 'cause it takes piles of money and good storage.

Read several takes on the various vintages, decide which one is most to your liking (you'll need to ignore the purple prose), then put your whole stash down on your favorite.

Read several takes on the various vintages, decide which one is most to your liking (you'll need to ignore the purple prose), then put your whole stash down on your favorite.

i disagree. here's a good plan: budget yourself for three bottles. then buy six--two of each vintage. a couple years from now, have a vertical tasting with your wine loving friends.

then decide you drank them too early, and leave the others in your cellar for far too long, and have them at one of those 'ancient and probably dead discoveries in our cellars' parties that wine geeks are known to have.

see you in 2030.

`

How does this compare with the Bleasdale Shiraz/Cab blend? Also, do you know if the Bleasdale will make a return any time soon as I think it's all gone.

• 2 weeks later...
TN: Lineage Vineyards Cabernet 2001

I swear this has to be a declassified Freemark Abbey and at $10 bucks its a QPR no brainer. Great cab taste, not overoaked, great weight and mouthfeel. What a deal.

Best,

Mike

Mike:

You beat me to this one. I just had a bottle of this with my dinner last night. Fabulous wine at an amazing price. Much more French in style than big and blowsy Californian in style. Incredibly smooth and well balanced. Lots of bright black cherry and cassis flavor with a hint of spice and cocoa too. Brilliant stuff at $10. I'm going back for more!

And you are correct. I think this is a second label of Freemark Abbey, who has consistently put out excellent wines over the years.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I swear this has to be a declassified Freemark Abbey and at $10 bucks its a QPR no brainer. Great cab taste, not overoaked, great weight and mouthfeel. What a deal.

Best,

Mike

Just googled it and I found Wilson Daniels Ltd homepage with a picture of, you guessed it, Freemark Abbey Sycamore! Mike, great call, it appears that Freemark Abbey must have purchased this vineyard, or that's the name of the company that makes Freemark Abbey

Best,

Mike

Mike:

You beat me to this one. I just had a bottle of this with my dinner last night. Fabulous wine at an amazing price. Much more French in style than big and blowsy Californian in style. Incredibly smooth and well balanced. Lots of bright black cherry and cassis flavor with a hint of spice and cocoa too. Brilliant stuff at $10. I'm going back for more!

And you are correct. I think this is a second label of Freemark Abbey, who has consistently put out excellent wines over the years.

My local store shows 1,263 units on hand! Could this be right? Has anyone tried their Chardonay?

Best,

Mike

Mike:

My local store shows 1,263 units on hand! Could this be right? Has anyone tried their Chardonay?

There's a lot of this around, but I'm not sure that 1,263 units isn't a typo. I didn't see the Chardonnay desplayed at my local shop yet, but the website shows some inventory there. I'll probably go back a buy half a case of the Cabernet and some of the Chardonnay to try as well.

Jeff L if you try the chardonnay first please report back!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Best,

Mike

Mike:

There's a lot of this around, but I'm not sure that 1,263 units isn't a typo. I didn't see the Chardonnay desplayed at my local shop yet, but the website shows some inventory there. I'll probably go back a buy half a case of the Cabernet and some of the Chardonnay to try as well.

Jeff L if you try the chardonnay first please report back!

With the new revelation that this is indeed a Freemark Abbey wine, and trusting Mike's nose, I will be buying a case tomorrow for everyday consumption. Katie, I will of course not forget the Chard and post as soon as I try some.

I tried the Don Pedro Soutomaior Alabarino 2003 earlier this week and really liked it. $14.99/bottle and quite refreshing. Not sure if it's actually a Chairman's Selection or not, but I found it out in Lancaster last weekend. Website shows a bit of inventory locally.

I found this wine to have a pleasant aromas of peaches and citrus. Very elegant with good bracing acidity. I had it with a grilled tuna steak and it was great. I imagine this would delicious with virtually any type of fish or shellfish, particularly those that were simply prepared.

Also tried the Crios de Susana Balbo Torrontes 2005 last weekend with Szechuan at Tifco's China Bistro. Who'dve thought that Argentinian wine and Szechuan food could share a table, but it worked really well! Torrontes is a very aromatic varietal from Argentina that is similar in profile to a Riesling or Gewurtraminer, a lot of floral aromas (rose petals and jasmine) and a hint of residual sweetness. I've had it before (we serve the Santa Julia Torrontes at Amada) but found this to be a particularly interesting example of it. Quite well balanced for a wine that was so young. A bargain at $11.99. I hope more of this lovely wine becomes available soon.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Tria was featuring a Torrentes from Argentina as an inexpensive by-the-glass special a couple of weeks ago, and it was really quite nice. I meant to make a note of the details, but failed to. I wonder if it was that Crios de Susanna... In any case, I agree wholeheartedly that this is a grape worth keeping an eye out for.

I could picture it going nicely with Tifco's Szechuan food. (Although some of that foam they spray on the runways during plane crashes might be handy too...)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Tria was featuring a Torrentes from Argentina as an inexpensive by-the-glass special a couple of weeks ago, and it was really quite nice. I meant to make a note of the details, but failed to.  I wonder if it was that Crios de Susanna...  In any case, I agree wholeheartedly that this is a grape worth keeping an eye out for.

I could picture it going nicely with Tifco's Szechuan food. (Although some of that foam they spray on the runways during plane crashes might be handy too...)

Big bowls of whipped cream or yogurt could be the foam for chile peppers crash landing on your tongue...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

The Rocco Guiccciarda Chianti is spectacular as well, I'd put it on par with Monsanto and other Sangiovese stars. Had a bottle n Sunday, back for more today.

The Chairman's Selection page lists the Lineage wines as "Freemark Abbey Lineage"-my local store had a giant endcap full of the cab and the merlot arrived this am.

The Rocco Guiccciarda Chianti is spectacular as well, I'd put it on par with Monsanto and other Sangiovese stars. Had a bottle n Sunday, back for more today.

Good to know. I picked up three bottles on the strength of what I read about it, good to know actual palates actually agree.

Best,

Mike

Thanks Mike for the heads up on this one. Between you, Katie, the ridiculous pricepoint and the fact it is indeed in the Freemark Abbey family, I picked up a case today. I decanted for a few hours, and just enjoyed the first bottle with a great Porterhouse and baked potato and some portabello mushrooms in a nice beef stock, carmalized shallot reduction.

Great wine indeed. Full bodied that probably didn't need the decant but had one handy just the same. I really like this one and Katie, it wasn't a typo, Newtown actually has cases upon cases of this stuff. I suspect not for too long as my guys tell me it's flying out of there.

Kudo's to Mr. Newman, all hail.

:cool: I better go snap some more up before it's all gone. I'm going to call the South Columbus Blvd. store and see if the Chard is there too. I'd definitely risk it on a bottle or two given the pedigree and the price.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Hi everyone:

I am a new member to this forum so let me add some background followed by a tasting note. I was quite happy and surprised to find this thread. While 'bargains' and PLCB have been an oxymoron on the past, clever searching cann indeed offer some of the best deals in the country.

I just relocated back to the Lehigh Valley from Santa Barbara, CA - wine heaven. Was there for 3 years and prior to that here in the Lehigh Valley for 10 years. Obviously, I was spoiled by the Santa Barabara wine gods and we can talk more about that if anyone desires. Sticking to the theme of this thread, I have been pleasantly surprised to see that the Chairman has been progressing and I have a few tales to tell.

First, a wine tasting note from tonight, the 2000 Abadia Retuerta Seclection Especial. Parker raved: Quoted at $24.00 Save $11.00

WINE ADVOCATE 91 points: "This unfiltered blend of 65% Tempranillo, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 5% Merlot saw malolactic in barrel, and aging in French as well as American oak for 16 months. Bordeaux-like, it exhibits a dense ruby/purple color in addition to a bouquet of sweet tobacco, black currants, and leathery aromas, medium to full body, terrific purity, an enduring texture, and a long finish revealing moderate but ripe tannin. This beauty should drink well for 10-12 years."

My comments - all smoky chocolate covered cherries. No hesitation to buy more. Great deal. Ready to drink and obvious sediment on the sides of the bottle.

Also, found recently the 2002 Billi Billi Mt. Langi Ghiran Shiraz $11.99 regular price in PA - not the Chairmans. Hope to find some 2003 of the same sometime....

My notes: a great find and price cannot be beat. on Wine Spectator top 100 of last year. Currant and jam, but not over the top Shiraz. Food frendly and again no hesitation to recommend. A little short on the finish. Finding it in PA at $11.99 was reason enough to buy the last 15 bottles in this area from Lancaster store, and they even transferred for free to Allentown store. What a deal.

So, I'll keep searching and reading everyone else's notes. Looking forward to more virtual tastings.

Cheers!

Carrington

BTW,

If you're a wine geek like me, you might be interested in subscribing to the mailing list offered by a Washington state store which has very interesting offers and the email descriptions are great - witness for the Billi Billi:

6/8/05

“Dear Friends,

When was the last time you tasted a real Shiraz? Possibly never. Throw out your preconception of what Shiraz or Shiraz blends taste like and I encourage everyone to try at least one bottle of this wine - to rediscover a passion for one of the world’s finest values.

I apologize for two long-winded diatribes in a row but this producer deserves your attention as much as the Boschkloof from yesterday. This offer is a rallying cry for everyone that has gone out on a limb at some point in their lives to do what is right even though the establishment told you it was wrong. This is the story of Trevor Mast, Australia’s original cult winemaker.

Before there was Three Rivers, Chris Ringland, Rolf Binder or Greenock Creek there was Trevor Mast (in a way, Australia’s answer to Terry Leighton from Kalin). From the late 1970’s, his Shiraz at Mt. Langi Ghiran winery was a Victorian inspiration to thousands of would-be winemakers and creative artists in the Melbourne area and beyond (he was so successful as the winemaker at Mt. Langi that he took full ownership of the property in the late 1980s). Unlike the South Australian winemakers and wineries mentioned above, Mast has always followed a non-interventionist approach - one that was frowned upon in those days where formulaic winemaking and chemical additions were the norm. His dedication to organic farming, releasing wines on his own schedule and a resuscitation of traditional methods was not only years ahead of its time but was partly responsible for the modern overture that is Australian Shiraz.

Mt Langi is at the precipice of one of Australia’s most intense growing sites – torrid by day and freezing cold at night. This incredible swing of temperature can produce a wine with outstanding natural acidity and Cote Rotie-like aromatics (sans Viognier). The virgin soil of this area of Victoria is some of the most mineral rich in the country with endless possibilities for growing fruit.

Trevor Mast has struggled for over 25 years to tame the natural, wild nature of this area – to bring a drinkable, yet still exotic and singular expression of the Shiraz grape to your dinner table. Past vintages of Mt. Langi Ghiran are legendary with collectors in Australia, especially profound wines such as the 1989. Never one to seek publicity, he missed the Parker Shiraz explosion circa 2000 preferring to toil away in his remote corner of the country instead of capitalizing on the exposure. In addition, he would not budge from his less dense style of winemaking even though the international audience was begging for more and more of everything, especially color and extract. Maybe he missed the chance to cash in but more likely he retained his integrity. This is a man so dedicated to his land that he holed himself up like a scientist for nearly a year to invent a contiguous 20 foot high suspended 10-20 acre bird net that covers the entire Shiraz Block (yes, I said one piece of fabric – think about that for a moment). Now considered one of the wonders of Australia, pilots use it as a guiding beacon when flying from Sydney to Adelaide.

From the winery: “The vineyards of Mount Langi Ghiran are nestled between two dramatically beautiful mountain ranges on the southern edge of the Great Dividing Range in Western Victoria, 180 km west of Melbourne. Pronounced "Mount Langee Jeeran", the name is Aboriginal for "Home of the Yellow-Tailed Black Cockatoo". The initial vineyards were planted by the Fratin brothers in 1963, on the site of a vineyard that had been in operation at the turn of the century. Their first plantings were Shiraz, and initially, the grapes were sold to neighboring winemakers. The exceptionally high quality of their fruit quickly drew a strong following and encouraged the Fratins to begin making their own wine.

The vineyards are located in a spectacular setting, at an elevation of 450 meters, situated at the base of the 540 meter cliff-face of Mt Langi Ghiran. Directly opposite, approximately 3 km away, is the Mt. Cole State Forest which extends for a further 30 km.

Derived from ancient Ordovician red clays, the soils are ironstone quartz and sandy loam over a friable loam clay rich in minerals. They provide good drainage and promote excellent root growth.

The Shiraz vines at Mount Langi Ghiran, which range up to 40 years in age, are particularly suited to these conditions. It is during the long ripening period that our signature intense spicy, pepper flavours develop, and the excellent sugar-acid structure is preserved. The soil profile enhances our control of the vine's water requirements allowing the vines to naturally stress at critical periods of growth which further concentrates fruit flavour. Each vintage, our vineyard and winemaking teams seek to capture the cool climate characters of pepper and spice, while attaining rich, ripe fruit flavours.”

Mt. Langi Ghiran produces several wines but today’s offer focuses on the The Billi Billi Creek - a floundering label without a true home. The problem has been that Mt. Langi produces two other 100% Shiraz above this wine and the confusion was acute for the US consumer (all labels looked nearly identical). After a few years of merely decent bargain priced Billi Billi Creek wines, Trevor Mast decided to reinvent the Billi Billi Creek in 2002 as a new super-premium label that would captivate and showcase the true organic essence of Victorian Shiraz. This is where our offer comes in.

The 2002 Billi Billi Creek is the first release of the much more ambitious version. It is going to turn heads in the bargain Shiraz world. This is the first Billi Billi Creek with a majority of Langi Estate Shiraz in the blend instead of purchased Mouvedre and Grenache from other sites. With the new pedigree comes a higher price but we are offering it today for last year’s bargain tariff. We can only offer this price once.

After tasting so many massive, over-extracted, high-alcohol wines from South Australia, this wine will be surprising to say the least (like tasting authentic Italian Parmesan versus domestic “parmesan”). I will go out on a limb and predict this will be the favorite Shiraz of many, especially those that have sworn off the overdone concoctions from the Barossa or McLaren Vale or those that have tired of “meals in a glass”. If you are currently drinking Cote du Rhone or you like wine from the Northern Rhone or Burgundy, you may have found your everyday delight.

The anti-oozemonster (BruceL®), this is a renegade Shiraz blend the way it was in the 1970s or early 1980s with soaring cracked black pepper in the nose, light licorice and a silky, medium bodied Burgundian texture with amazing natural acids (a critical element that is typically absent from South Australian Shiraz). This is the true synthesis of Burgundy and Australia – a combination that was highly desirable during this period Down Under (most red wines in the 1970s were simply called “Claret” or “Burgundy” even thought they were made from Shiraz). This wine begs for another sip and it would make a very interesting comparison to other recently offered Shiraz such as the Winner’s Tank (which is 100% opposite in style). A lovely gem that will appeal to almost everyone on the email list at a price that is a breath of fresh air.

Nearly anyone can create a successful wine with a big enough marketing team and the right formula – it takes a dedicated and artisanal pioneer to stay true to his roots – the vine roots that is:

ONE SHIPMENT ONLY AT THIS PRICE

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for so many reasons including absurd value and organic expression of place.

2002 Mt. Langi Ghiran Billi Billi Creek – $11.99 STRICT LIMIT 24/person

Due to pricing this offer is FIRST COME FIRST SERVED

email Niki@garagistewine.com to get on mailing list - some great descriptions even if you never order!