• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to Infuse Cod Fish with Flavor?

SammyFarid

Hey everyone, I've been reading these forums forever but joined mainly to get the answer to this question.

How do you flavor Cod?

The only time I've been successful in doing so was when I poached it in a "South American" style spicy tomato sauce. It came out very flavorful. But as far as pan searing or baking en papier or my latest failed attempt dressed in an olive tapenade and wrapped in caul fat.

Please help

You are referring to fresh Atlantic cod versus salt cod? If so why are you trying for a huge flavor punch?  The fish is known for its mild sweetness and firm yet flaky texture. Light complimentary seasonal sauces if going the sauce route and of course the traditional fried prep are what I have always seen employed. No point in trying to turn a steady sweety into a shock-punk queen? I have seen it occasionally employed in fish tacos with a range of flavorful hot sauces- but it is more a flavor vehicle/protein heft carrier.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

Building on what heidih said above; cod is a mild white fish, like many other mild white fish, that have their own delicate flavor, although their textures vary.  If you want more punch, perhaps you should be looking at fish with a more assertive flavor?  In my household there's the faction that prefers mild white fish with sauce or breading, and the other faction that prefers fish with its own flavor: salmon, trout, tuna, swordfish.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Adding on to what heidih and Smithy said, I don't expect punchy flavor in fresh cod.  The texture, mouth-feel, gentle flavor but clearness and clean subtle flavor when it is good and fresh are what I expect.  Really fresh cod in my opinion benefits from a simple steaming with ginger, salt, some scallions and a touch of rice wine.  Sauces can add flavor as heidih said.  If sticking with steaming, for example, I might use Chinese fermented black beans or even non-fermented salted soy beans, plus ginger and garlic plus whatever else I feel like that moment...

Salt, as mm says - up to 30 minutes, for me - is your best bet.  Then cook as you like.  For white fish with more flavour... where are you, for a start ?

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

You can cook the fish en papillote with some herbs and seasoning.  My preference is to go light on seasonings and herbs.  For some ideas that may work for you try https://www.google.com/#q=en+papillote+recipes although I didn't see much there specifically for cod.

I tend to agree with Heidi and Smithy, but mm's suggestion has some merit as well.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel