• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can you freeze cauliflower? Peppers?

bonkboo

I found myself with a fair bit of raw cauliflower and peppers just before I leave for vacation. Time is tight so I won't be able to prepare any dish. Can I freeze those raw vegetables? Will anything change?

As I understand it, it has to do with the action of enzymes on the vegetable. Brief boiling will kill the enzymes, which would otherwise continue active in the freezer and destroy the flavour and texture of the food. As far as I know it's the case with all home freezing, but I wonder whether rapid commercial freezing at lower temps would be enough to kill the enzymes without blanching.

As I understand it, it has to do with the action of enzymes on the vegetable. Brief boiling will kill the enzymes, which would otherwise continue active in the freezer and destroy the flavour and texture of the food. As far as I know it's the case with all home freezing, but I wonder whether rapid commercial freezing at lower temps would be enough to kill the enzymes without blanching.

Freezing tends to preserve enzymes though it ruptures some cells, releasing the enzymes that can then act when thawed again.

I would imagine that unblanched veg browning could be stopped by thawing in the fridge, or perhaps with lemon juice.  Interesting experiment.

• Like 1

Yes, no problem with either vegetable; cut, blanch 2mins, cool and lay on baking sheets to freeze, then transfer to a ziplock. Do not freeze the veggies from raw as they will discolour and go mushy when defrosted.

I often freeze sweet peppers after seeding and slicing them and never had any issues. I toss them into stir-fries right from the freezer. It's what I do when I suspect they won't be used before they rot.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I often freeze sweet peppers after seeding and slicing them and never had any issues. I toss them into stir-fries right from the freezer. It's what I do when I suspect they won't be used before they rot.

I often do this as well - sometimes I dice them before freezing and then use them in fried rice or chili or soups or a cooked salsa. If I'm really rushed, I throw them in the freezer whole.  They can be cut up later. Also, here is info from UNL Extension:

https://food.unl.edu/preservation/freezing-peppers

(I also freeze raw tomatoes whole - just wash and cut out the stem, they can be peeled later.)

More guidelines for freezing veggies:

https://food.unl.edu/preservation/freezing-vegetables

Raw onions also can be frozen, though I have never bothered. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)

I often do this as well - sometimes I dice them before freezing and then use them in fried rice or chili or soups or a cooked salsa. If I'm really rushed, I throw them in the freezer whole.  They can be cut up later. Also, here is info from UNL Extension:

https://food.unl.edu/preservation/freezing-peppers

(I also freeze raw tomatoes whole - just wash and cut out the stem, they can be peeled later.)

More guidelines for freezing veggies:

https://food.unl.edu/preservation/freezing-vegetables

Raw onions also can be frozen, though I have never bothered.

I freeze all sorts of hot peppers whole and unblanched.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog