• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleaning the Spice Grinder

Shel_B

I have been using the Krups model 203-42 grinder http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/krups-black-coffee-grinder/1010151120?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_none_&gclid=COPz662CpLwCFYdgfgodYwQAwQ for grinding spices, dried mushrooms, etc., for years, and usually I clean it by grinding some white rice, which absorbs the dust, oils, and other debris, and which can easily be cleaned from the reservoir.

However, I am at home today and wish to clean the machine, but there's no white rice here. Can I use one of the other grains that I have. They are whole grain oats (groats), steel cut oats, brown rice, and pearled barley. That's all that I have, and if they won't work, tomorrow I'll buy some white rice.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

!. Make sure you don't stick your finger in it while it's plugged in.

You could buy the stuff that some use to clean coffee grinders. Though it's probably just as cheap to buy a new grinder.

I use a little paint brush.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

If you normally use rice, to good effect, then I don't see why another starchy grain wouldn't work just as well. Personally, I'd think that the oats would work well, or the barley next, if that should fail...

• Like 2

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

Use some saltine crackers and two or three tablespoons of baking soda.

Hold the lid on and turn it upside down a few times - run it for at least 30 seconds.

Dump the stuff out and wipe with a paper towel.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Use some saltine crackers and two or three tablespoons of baking soda.

Hold the lid on and turn it upside down a few times - run it for at least 30 seconds.

Dump the stuff out and wipe with a paper towel.

No saltines, or anything similar ...

... Shel

I buy instant rice for cleaning my grinders. It's desiccated rice so there is no moisture and I certainly don't plan on eating it

Might be something to look into. When I go out tomorrow I'll check it out and compare prices to regular, bulk white rice.

... Shel

Very interesting!

I grind all kinds of stuff, including sticky stuff, oily stuff, smelly stuff,

And here I have been using just hot water with a few drops of dishwasher detergent, run the grinder then rinse and dry.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 1

Don't know, but don't think I'd try salt. It's so corrosive that I can't think it'd do the metal parts any good.

Unless it's some sort of emergency wherein you just absolutely must clean out your grinder immediately, I'd wait until you've got some rice, which you know works just fine.

• Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

When I bought that big box of instant rice I was very self conscience. It's not something that would ever grace my shopping cart as a rule

If I do buy that rice, I'll wear a bag over my head ....

• Like 2

... Shel

Don't know, but don't think I'd try salt. It's so corrosive that I can't think it'd do the metal parts any good.

Unless it's some sort of emergency wherein you just absolutely must clean out your grinder immediately, I'd wait until you've got some rice, which you know works just fine.

I concur about the salt. I wanted to clean the grinder today, but it can wait until tomorrow ... I may try some brown rice tonight just to see how it works. I'm decanting a bag to put into a glass container, so stealing a few grains will be simple.

• Like 1

... Shel

I confess...I stopped using a crappy repurposed coffee grinder to grind spices years and years ago. As a matter of fact, I stopped using a crappy coffee grinder to grind coffee years and years ago, because I bought a real coffee grinder - a Rocky.

Now, to grind spices, I use a mortar and pestle, which probably cost me less to buy than the crappy coffee grinder cost me years and years ago. To clean - I wipe it out with a damp towel and it works perfectly every time. And I save a lot on electricity as well - which is good for the environment too.

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I've been using baking soda, with some kind of other material to give it some purchase, for decades - since before the first spice grinders appeared.

I used the same process to clean coffee and/or spices out of my original Vitamix when I had several DRY things to go into the blender and did not want to use water to clean it and then have to wait for it to get dry.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The brown rice worked pretty well - not quite as well as the white rice, perhaps because of the oils in the bran (which addresses Heidi's question). So, in the future, I'll stick with white rice.

Now, there's this pile of finely ground brown rice sitting on a plate on my counter. What can I use it for? Add to a soup for thickening? It's no big deal to just toss it, but it would be nice to find a purpose for it.

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

The brown rice worked pretty well - not quite as well as the white rice, perhaps because of the oils in the bran. So, in the future, I'll stick with white rice.

Now, there's this pile of finely ground brown rice sitting on a plate on my counter. What can I use it for? Add to a soup for thickening? It's no big deal to just toss it, but it would be nice to find a purpose for it.

Given that it is now imbued with all the garbage you wanted to remove from the dirty grinder, I'd bin it.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Given that it is now imbued with all the garbage you wanted to remove from the dirty grinder, I'd bin it.

Yes ... the real purpose of my question, and I suppose I wasn't clear, is what can be done with finely ground brown rice (assuming it's clean enough to use)?

• Like 1

... Shel