• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast Sausage Brands: Do they all suck?

gfweb

It's been my experience that the worst breakfast sausage from an artisan maker is better than the best mass market you can get. I buy mine from the farmer from whom I buy all my pork and chicken (beef comes from a different guy). He vac-packs his in roughly one-pound packages, so you have to make your own patties.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I don't understand why it 'has' to be sausage in a roll.

If you can adjust, you could try Farmland links (a very highly rated brand, I might add). The have a maple flavored sausage that I like and their original is also excellent. A staple in my house. Loads better than Jimmy Dean's.

I don't understand why it 'has' to be sausage in a roll.

If you can adjust, you could try Farmland links (a very highly rated brand, I might add). The have a maple flavored sausage that I like and their original is also excellent. A staple in my house. Loads better than Jimmy Dean's.

Adjust?

I suppose that link sausage would be OK.

But that's change...at a critical time of day.

Not sure its prudent.

• Like 1

They make patties as well, just not a roll.

And if you're just slicing off a chunk of two and cooking it up (as mentioned by the OP), what difference does it make that it's in a roll.

It's always cheaper to buy in bulk, as a roll, than already sliced. At least I have found this to be the case.

I don't eat sausage for breakfast, but I often use it in risottos, soups and other applications where it is crumbled.

That was my point and not the OPs.

• Like 1