• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RIP: Judy Rodgers

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

That is very sad news. Her Zuni Cafe cookbook is one of my favorites. I'm sorry I never wrote, or emailed, and told her so.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I am deeply saddened by this news. While far from a friend, I did have the good fortune of meeting her a few times, the first of which was in the Chez Panisse kitchen where I was given a tour even though I was there quite by accident. Judy was charming and accomodating, and that tour helped me to start thinking about food differently.

I have eaten many times at the Zuni Cafe - always a great, fun experience with good, unpretentious food well prepared. I will miss her very much, but will always have some fond memories.

• Like 2

... Shel

It is because of her that my family and I look forward to a roasted chicken made at home. Rereading her description of the chicken in her book tonight, it is clear that many others have said this to her. (I never had the chance.) She will be remembered many times when people sit down to wonderful meals that she made possible.

Eight of Judy's recipes from the Zuni Café as printed in a recent edition of our local fish wrap:

http://www.sfgate.com/recipes/article/8-classic-recipes-from-Zuni-Cafe-5031276.php#photo-5544713

Thank you, Shel. I've been lamenting the fact that I don't have her cookbook with me to cook a commemorative feast; now I have what I need.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown