• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cook/Chill/Regenerate (Reheat): Sous Vide

DanMLondon

Whats everyones opinions on Cook/Chill/Regenerate when cooking with SV?

Does it alter the taste because its been reheated - I don't think it does personally with things I;ve tried such as steak but I'm worried that sometimes the texture will suffer or is this not the case. I made another thread about SV brisket - I wonder if I cooked brisket via SV then ice bath/refrigerate and then reheat them when needed but I dont sacrifice any flavour/texture.

I hear most restaurants do this with chicken etc when they have a slow day then just slap them on the grill for service.

I do this with brisket all the time. The only con is that you lose that crunchy bark if your finishing it off on the grill or smoker. You could probably hit it with a torch after reheating in the SV. I usually just reheat, rough chop and stack it on a butter toasted hamburger bun topped with some bbq sauce and slaw.

I do this all the time, indeed I feel this is one of SV's serious strengths.

Big Batch / On-Sale Items / max time saving etc

I have a whole freezer of stuff ready to jump in the Re-Heater.

you do need bags on the thicker side for the freezer.

Ive even moved to not seasoning the chicken/turkey/pork while SV and doing that in a sauce after the reheat

works for me for Curry-like, Thai-like etc

Steak is pretty easy. Around an hour from chilled or frozen. Chicken about the same. I am curious about large eggs (in shell) and also delicate veggies like asparagus. I have rethermalized asparagus before and it got mushy and lost its beautiful green color.

Reason im asking is because sometimes i want to do a 7 course dinner and its almost impossible for a home cook to prep everything the same day. I want to expand our spare of the moment dinner plans with some of my self proclaimed 5-star dinners.

'Rethermalisation' = cooked, chilled/frozen, reheated?

Don't know why you'd want to for asparagus - cooking time from fresh is only 6 - 8 minutes.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

'Rethermalisation' = cooked, chilled/frozen, reheated?

Don't know why you'd want to for asparagus - cooking time from fresh is only 6 - 8 minutes.

Yes everything would be already cooked, and either chilled in the fridge or vacuum packed and frozen.

The reason for everything is that asparagus needs to be cooked at a higher temp then every other course. I like to peel and steam asparagus. I dont always have time to run to the store and buy fresh asparagus so i would like to steam in advance and retherm along with every other course.

So lets say i want to retherm everything to 135F...

large eggs...1 hour?

asparagus...15 minutes?

mash potatoes (2 inch thick quart bag)...30 minutes?

Im guessing the eggs and mash potatoes should be fine at those times, maybe even longer. But the asparagus will get mushy if left in long. Im wondering if i should even let them in for 15 minutes. Maybe 10? This would be from fridge temp (40F)