• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Not Finding Corelle Dishes In Thrift Stores

Porthos

As a resident of California I am wondering if there is some legal prohibition regarding selling used Corelle plates, bowls and such in thrift stores. I have a circuit of 6 thrift stores I visit once a week and I go to some others as the mood strikes me. I have been on the lookout for some particular pieces and don't seem to find any Corelle pieces at all. Stoneware, cheap china and good china can all be found. Does anybody know of any legal restrictions regarding Corelle Ware in California?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

As a resident of California I am wondering if there is some legal prohibition regarding selling used Corelle plates, bowls and such in thrift stores. I have a circuit of 6 thrift stores I visit once a week and I go to some others as the mood strikes me. I have been on the lookout for some particular pieces and don't seem to find any Corelle pieces at all. Stoneware, cheap china and good china can all be found. Does anybody know of any legal restrictions regarding Corelle Ware in California?

In the past many years, I only found some once in Goodwill here in NYC.

Apparently people just don't part with them. I don't see cast iron cookware either.

dcarch

I know of no such restriction in California, and can't imagine why there should be one anywhere. This summer I donated my mother's set of Corelle dinnerware and it was gladly received. I think it's just so generally well-appreciated that, as dcarch said, people don't want to part with it.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I threw some away a couple weeks ago.

There's so much of it around here (the Corellle pressware plant is 20 minutes away) that you can't give it away.

There's usually a lot of it available on eBay if you're not successful finding it locally.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Sometimes the folks running the store buy it themselves so it never gets out on the shelves. A local thrift store holds back certain items for regulars who leave standing orders (as I do for vintage cookbooks, Bauer pottery, etc.) as they know we will pay the asking price and not try to bargain it down. As it supports a worthy cause, I'm glad to do it.

That being said, the Goodwill store here in Lancaster always has a lot of Corelle plates and dishes and the last time I was there a box full of the earlier style cups and saucers - the cups with the finger loop that did not attach to the cup at the bottom. They were the white and gold design.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Porthos, are you looking for a particular pattern? Certain pieces?

I may still have some in the shed.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Porthos, are you looking for a particular pattern? Certain pieces?

I may still have some in the shed.

No particular pattern. One of the 2 items I have been keeping my eye out for is available open stock at Walmart. The other item I am not picky about the pattern. I am not in need of these items, I would just add a few if I found them for cheap at a thrift store.

Finding things in thrift stores is one way I have fun; the fun of the hunt.That is why it is a weekly event for me. I really appreciate your kind offer but I am going to decline. By the answers in this thread I know now to keep up the hunt.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;