• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mixing / Storage Bowl with Lid

Shel_B

I need to get a mixing / storage bowl with a silicone, polypropylene, or other soft, durable lid and, possibly, with a non-skid base. I'd like it to be of stainless steel. I need it to hold 3+ lbs of potato salad, a similar amount of fruit salad, and the like. What I need to know is what capacity bowl I would need and if anyone has a recommendation. Mainly the bowl will be used for transporting food to potlucks and sometimes for serving at home. Thanks!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/72926-top-chef-stainless-steel-mixing-bowls-lids-set-of-3.html

If you google "stainless steel bowls with lids" you'll find all kinds of options.

Of course I did that. Many that I found had bad reviews, many came in sets, which I'd prefer not to get. But most important, I don't know what capacity I need for the amount of ingredients I'll be using. Can you help with that?

And, it would be nice to get a recommendation from someone who has used a particular bowl rather than just providing a pointer to something they just Googled. All the products I've looked at are described in glowing terms, but when I carefully read reviews I find many are poor quality or have problems.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

For 3 pounds of potato salad, I think that a 2 quart bowl should fit the bill with a bit of space left over.

A 3 quart may be best if you want extra mixing room.

I favor deep stainless steel mixing bowls.

Rosle makes a nice one, but I don't have experience with their lids which are available separately.

They may be priced lower on Amazon.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

For 3 pounds of potato salad, I think that a 2 quart bowl should fit the bill with a bit of space left over.

I favor deep stainless steel mixing bowls.

Rosle makes a nice one, but I don't have experience with their lids which are available separately.

They may be priced lower on Amazon.

Thanks. The fit of the lids is very important as I'll often be traveling with whatever dish I make. I read that some lids don't fit well when a stainless steel bowl has been refrigerated due to different expansion/contraction rates of the stainless bowls and the lids, which are of a different material.

... Shel

There's a good chance that you'll find a bowl you like that has no lid; if that's the case, you might want to look into one of the stretchy Lékué lids (which you can use withr a variety of different containers, not just the bowl), which come in various sizes. I've seen these at Sur la Table, and Bed Bath & Beyond.

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

There's a good chance that you'll find a bowl you like that has no lid; if that's the case, you might want to look into one of the stretchy Lékué lids (which you can use withr a variety of different containers, not just the bowl), which come in various sizes. I've seen these at Sur la Table, and Bed Bath & Beyond.

Thanks! That info has just expanded my options <LOL>

... Shel

I would go for something closer to 4 quarts so that you are not up to the brim when using it.

Below are pictures of my 3 qt and 5 qt size S/S bowls.

IMAG0222.jpg

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

For transporting food to potlucks or to a dinner party, I find nothing better than the containers that my hot soup from the Chinese places gets delivered in. 2 of the quart size will hold almost 4 lbs. of potato salad.

Quart containers. Microwavable, dishwasher safe, etc.

You can then just leave them at the event or toss 'em into the recyclables.

I also use them at home for storage everywhere...they take up little space.

I use nothing stainless that has lids. Instead, I use plastic wrap on stainless, glass, etc.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

For transporting food to potlucks or to a dinner party, I find nothing better than the containers that my hot soup from the Chinese places gets delivered in. 2 of the quart size will hold almost 4 lbs. of potato salad.

Quart containers. Microwavable, dishwasher safe, etc.

You can then just leave them at the event or toss 'em into the recyclables.

I also use them at home for storage everywhere...they take up little space.

I use nothing stainless that has lids. Instead, I use plastic wrap on stainless, glass, etc.

Not at all my style. I want something that I can prepare the food in and then use for transport. I don't like using plastic at all, especially for food. Plastic wrap for a closure is wasteful - the stuff just ends up in a landfill, or, perhaps, in a recycling center, just like you suggest for the containers.

... Shel

I would go for something closer to 4 quarts so that you are not up to the brim when using it.

Below are pictures of my 3 qt and 5 qt size S/S bowls.

I've decided to get a set which has both 3qt and 5qt bowls, plus a smaller bowl. Thanks for the suggestion - we were on the same page.

... Shel

If it's not too late and they're available in the US, I'd like to put in a really good word for the iMusa s/s bowls in 2 and 5 L sizes...

It's not too late. I searched for the iMusa bowls and came up blank except for a reference to them in someone's blog. They described it as the iMusa "Top Chef," and the Top Chef is one of the bowls I'm considering, although I don't know if it's the same set of bowls you're describing.

I went out to Bed and Bath, which carries the Top Chef on it's web site, but, apparently, not in my local store. I did see a few other bowls that gave me a good perspective on some of what I've seen on line.

I hope to make a decision in the next day or two.

... Shel

I've got no clue - they're sold as simply "bowl hermetico delujo, inoxidable" down here, not as part of any line. What I like about them particularly is that they're hugely flat-bottomed, which makes them extremely stable on the counter and picnic table (no need for no-slip treads), and they're a heavy enough gauge that I can bake cakes in them should the need arise (my 2L bowl, the first in my collection, I bought in order to bake and store a custom-sized fruitcake....)

I checked out the iMusa USA website, and they're not even shown there (boo-urns!), which makes me suspect that they're a Latin American market thing only. And that's pretty dang silly IMHO, because they're easily the best s/s bowls I've ever used. When my internets speed up some, I'll check their Colombian site and see if they're there - that way I can give you a look at 'em - mine are all out on loan at the moment!

ETA - my nets sped up! Yay! The bowls I use are indeed on the Colombian website (link - in Spanish) - click on "Recipientes de Acero - Frascos" and they're the first item on the menu. I have the two largest sizes at the moment, which are both about the size you're looking for. You could, if you can't find what you're looking for locally, probably have them shipped to you from Bogotá....

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)
  • Like 1

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Shel - I regularly make around 3-4lb of potato salad at a time and use a 3 liter sistema container to hold it. It is usually very filled. I'm gradually switching over to glasslock containers so even though you asked for stainless, I would recommend the glasslock.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001DYV574/

Eta: actually, I just realized that I use 3-4 lbs of potatoes to make it. Not sure what the final weight is but the volume fills the 3l container.

Edited by natasha1270 (log)
  • Like 2
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Shel - I regularly make around 3-4lb of potato salad at a time and use a 3 liter sistema container to hold it. It is usually very filled. I'm gradually switching over to glasslock containers so even though you asked for stainless, I would recommend the glasslock.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001DYV574/

Eta: actually, I just realized that I use 3-4 lbs of potatoes to make it. Not sure what the final weight is but the volume fills the 3l container.

Good to know about the capacity. Thank you.

I have some of those containers (not Glasslock, but another brand that's almost identical in appearance), as well as some Pyrex and Anchor Hocking glass bowls with lids. I want stainless to minimize the potential of breakage during travel (not that it's ever happened) and because they make excellent bowls for preparing certain foods. I can prepare the food, store it, and travel with it all using one bowl. That's not to say that can't be done in glass, but it seems like the stainless bowls are the right size and shape in some situations. So, with the addition of stainless, I'll have every situation covered.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Honestly, if you'll take a bit of care to put the bowl back in your vehicle, the (erm) Zip Lock (I think) bowls are great! I regularly make LARGE batches of salads and these bowls are great. They're ugly enough not to get swiped and cheap enough to be replaced if they do. They'll hold a batch of 4 can bean salad with onion and celery, no problem, about a 1 lb. batch of macaroni salad (1 lb. macaroni, that is) or probably 5 lbs potato salad. I love them, and I like to think I'm as green as the next person!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Honestly, if you'll take a bit of care to put the bowl back in your vehicle, the (erm) Zip Lock (I think) bowls are great! I regularly make LARGE batches of salads and these bowls are great. They're ugly enough not to get swiped and cheap enough to be replaced if they do. They'll hold a batch of 4 can bean salad with onion and celery, no problem, about a 1 lb. batch of macaroni salad (1 lb. macaroni, that is) or probably 5 lbs potato salad. I love them, and I like to think I'm as green as the next person!

Where I go, no one's going to swipe anything, so that's a non-issue. I don't use plastic for food prep or storage.

... Shel

I have some of those containers (not Glasslock, but another brand that's almost identical in appearance

I looked and it turns out that the containers are Glasslock.

... Shel

I typically use glass for pot lucks, specifically the Pyrex ones with lids that come in a set of four for between $15-19. I have two sets. While I hear you on the breakage issue, not everything I bring to pot lucks is cold, at least not intended to be served cold. That being said, when pot lucks are at our temple and scheduled to start at say 6:00, often the Rabbi will talk until 7:00 as the food gets cold. Having glass allows it to be popped in the microwave to reheat. Stainless eliminates that option.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I typically use glass for pot lucks, specifically the Pyrex ones with lids that come in a set of four for between $15-19. I have two sets. While I hear you on the breakage issue, not everything I bring to pot lucks is cold, at least not intended to be served cold. That being said, when pot lucks are at our temple and scheduled to start at say 6:00, often the Rabbi will talk until 7:00 as the food gets cold. Having glass allows it to be popped in the microwave to reheat. Stainless eliminates that option.

A good point. However, I do already have several glass bowls with lids should they be appropriate. The stainless just fills out my options. Nesting stainless bowls should minimize storage concerns as well.

I might mention that the potlucks I go to are usually well planned. On Sunday, for example, we're going to the home of Toots' daughter. We know who is bringing what, and there will be no surprises. That's typical of what we do for family potlucks ...

... Shel

Actually stainless can be put in the microwave. It gets hot more quickly and you have to make sure it doesn't touch other stainless in the microwave or the sides. Make sure you have oven mitts or a towel for removal.

If you have two little stainless bowls in the nuke and they get too close they will arc and catch fire (she says from experience) and the smell of burning chocolate is not pleasant!

• Like 1

Actually stainless can be put in the microwave. It gets hot more quickly and you have to make sure it doesn't touch other stainless in the microwave or the sides. Make sure you have oven mitts or a towel for removal.

If you have two little stainless bowls in the nuke and they get too close they will arc and catch fire (she says from experience) and the smell of burning chocolate is not pleasant!

When I read Kerry's comment, I thought "What has this person been drinking?" So, since Google is my friend, I checked online. Most answers were emphatically NO! But interspersed was the occasional "yes" answer. The video in this post seems to support Kerry's contention, but I'd like to investigate further. Are there some foods that this works well with, some foods that it doesn't? Does the composition of the stainless steel make a difference?

And heres an article I found addressing the issue: http://themessybaker.com/2011/01/21/how-to-temper-chocolate-in-a-microwave-a-give-away/

I also asked my uncle about this. For many years he designed cookware and kitchen appliances for a well known manufacturer of these products. He's also an accomplished amateur cook. It'll be interesting to read what he has to say on the subject.

Perhaps you'll note that the microwave oven in the video seems to have a metal shelf built into it. I'm intrigued. Thanks, Kerry!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Myth Debunked! I decided to give it a try, and heated a frozen hot dog in a small stainless steel bowl in my microwave oven. There were no ill effects; no sparks, no arcing, no explosions. The hot dog was nicely heated through, and had the taste and texture it usually does when heated on the stove top.

I was also going to try nuking the stainless lid from my new All-Clad saucepan, as the composition of the steel is probably different than that of the bowl. The idea was to see if compositional differences might affect the results. However, I wasn't sure if the handle on the lid is stainless, so I decided to hold off on that test.

Interesting how this thread has evolved ... in any case, thank you, Kerry!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel