• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dealing with Brussels sprouts on the stalk

heidih

Brussels sprouts still on the stalk are showing up in the markets. The cashiers tend to get a puzzled look as they try to maneuver the behemoth into a bag not meant for it. I have been plucking them off the stalk and storing in a paper bag in the fridge, trimming the stem end if needed before use. What do you do regarding storage? Left attached they take up too much space for me.

Also, the tag from Trader Joe's has a recipe that calls for you to roast them still on the stalk. You wrap them in plastic wrap and nuke for about 5 minutes. Then they have you pour over an awfully sweet sounding mix of 1/4 cup olive oil and 3/4 cup maple syrup and roast at 350F for 45 minutes. Anyone ever try that or any preps where they are left on the stalk. Seems awkward to serve and that is a whole lot of sprouts.

Heidi,

I prefer to store mine still attached. If the stalk is too big, you can cut it in half. I detach them as I use them.

I haven't tried cooking them still on the stalk and the TJ's recipe does not look too promising.

I like to do something similar to this recipe (using less oil) where they are fried and served with pancetta, Parmigiano, and a balsamic reduction (which gives a little bit of sweetness but much less than in this crazy-looking TJ recipe). Straight balsamic works too if you don't mind the acidity (I like it actually).

never heard of roasting them on the stem, I halve them and roast them cut side down for a bit of crunch, actually gonna do that within the next hour.

They are also great pickled if you have too many to use up right away. Very very good.

I only bought them on the stalk once because it's so cumbersome. Does the stem become edible? If not I'd not do that roasting part. And I'd be afraid the syrup would burn. I just toss them with olive oil, s&P and roast at 300-350, turn once.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I roasted Brussels sprouts on the stem once a couple of years back. I cut the stem into three or four sections, oiled the sprouts, added S&P, and gave 'em a nice, slightly charred finish. I then served 'em on the stalk. Made a neat and different presentation. If I recall correctly, I rotated the stalks during the roasting to get more even cooking. They turned out OK ...

• Like 1

... Shel

Shel - OK is not a glowing recommendation! Maybe the prep would be useful for a vegan Thanksgiving meal - something to "carve".

No, it's not ... I only made the sprouts like that once, so I never got to play around with the idea and refine it - balance the ingredients, add some other ingredients, play with times and temps, etc. I do believe the idea has merit and with some experimentation could result in a tasty and exciting presentation.

... Shel

Cashiers? Supermarket bags? Dunno, that doesn't ring a bell with me. :-)

I've consciously seen Brussels sprouts on the stalk only at Farmers' Markets around here, not at conventional supermarkets. Also, the stalks around here are pretty thick and big. (Maybe Trader Joe's has them, but I do not shop at that place and probably have gone into them no more than a half dozen times or so in maybe 10 years) I just finished off a stalk, about 3 1/2 ft long/tall, with the stalk itself about 3 inches or so in diameter; not that skinny teeny stalk shown in the Trader Joe's picture. I very much doubt I would cook the sprouts on the stalk in my case or with similar stalks I would find at my Farmers' Markets. :-D

Edited by huiray (log)

I've never seen them sold on the stalk. My CSA distributes them still on the stalk, but I always figured that was because it was so much less work for the farmers that way. When I get home I lay the stalk across the sink and cut off the sprouts, then gather them. I usually cook them within the next day or two. I don't really see an advantage to the consumer to buy them still on the stalk. I don't think you can let them sit around too long anyway, and storage room is certainly an issue. Roasting them on the stalk might make for an interesting presentation, but does it offer anything else?