• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO quality, heavy nonstick pots

Hassouni

I rarely use nonstick, so don't know much about what's available. I OCCASIONALLY use a NS pan for eggs, but more often than not use my carbon steel wok. My personal pots and pans are: 14" CS wok, 12" Lodge pan that I've smoothed down and seasoned with much love and care, and a 5ish quart Lodge enameled Dutch oven (or "pot" as I call it).

However - nonstick is CRUCIAL for one absolutely essential item in my repertoire: Iraqi and Iranian style rice, with hakkaka/tadig, the rice crust that forms at the bottom of the pot. Anything not nonstick is a recipe for disaster, and to prevent the rice from scorching and to keep it cooking evenly, a thick pot is desired, at least at the bottom. The last few years I've been cooking at my parents' house using their pots (some ancient unlabeled 1980s stuff, very heavy and thick), or in previous, rental kitchens on sub-optimal cooking vessels.

Now that I have my own condo, I'm looking for 2 rice-worthy pots, one large enough to cook, say 2 cups of rice (let's say 2-3 quarts), and the other for more (5-ish quarts). I guess the small one would be some kind of saucepan, and the other vaguely dutch oven-y in shape, or resembling a scaled down stock pot.

Calphalon seems make a few items that sound about right, but I don't know how thick-walled their stuff is. What other makers are out there?

Edited by Hassouni (log)

I can't speak to Calphalon nonstick pots, but their skillets have good heavy walls and even heating from what I've seen. I love All-Clad; I have both skillets and pots in their stainless steel line and they all have heavy walls and even heating. However, since my All-Clad are of the non-non-stick variety I can't speak to the durability of their nonstick finishes. Analon seems to make a good heavy grade of nonstick skillet also, so their pots may meet your requirements.

In my experience T-Fal pots are delightfully nonstick and durable, but not very heavy. Still, you might give one a try if you could pick it up cheap, see whether it would work for you. My Revereware and Farberware pans are too light for what you're seeking.

I hear you about the tadig. A friend cooks Persian rice for us in her lightweight aluminum rice pot. The results are delicious but the cleanup is a nightmare.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I've made pilaf a few times since reading this article. The advice about putting the pan into a couple of inches of cold water at the end of cooking has always worked perfectly with my stainless steel lined Al-Clad pan. It comes off in one nice piece and clean up is a doddle.

Sorry &roid, I'm glad it works for you, but there is not a chance in hell I'm using stainless steel, based on experience. Teflon it is for me

I rarely use non-stick either, but occasionally when teaching a class, we have to make do. When that's happened, I've been favorably impressed with the B008VFM1FS/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B008VFM1FS&linkCode=as2&tag=egulletcom-20">Zwilling Thermolon pans. Not Teflon, but non-stick nevertheless, and nice and heavy, with excellent (for my hands) handles.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

You might want to check your local Home Goods stores, they are a discount retailer that has a variety of cookware. As we head into the winter holiday season, they get pricier/better inventory. Last year they had a selection of Staub and some Falk, for example. The selection constantly changes, so, it's tough to say what you'll find, but, the prices are outstanding -usually 50%+ off regular retail. And, remember, if you see something there you like, buy it, they may never get it in again.

• Like 1

What Lisa said. TJ Maxx is another place to haunt, for the same reasons, and with the same caveats.

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Hassouni, I was in our local TJ Maxx earlier today. Calphalon nonstick pots, anodized exterior, glass lids. The ones I handled and priced looked like those in Dave's Zwilling Thermolon link. 2-1/2 quart was $29.99 and 4-1/2 quart was $49.99. There were others, with straighter sides, but I didn't heft them. I don't know whether you have a TJ Maxx nearby, or whether their stock would be the same, but I suggest you go there forthwith if you can, just in case they do.

Edited: spelling and clarity

Edited by Smithy (log)
  • Like 1

It's probably worth pointing out for strategic shopping purposes that TJ Maxx and Home Goods are owned by the same company. Here in Atlanta, there are a couple of stores that sport both names.

True, they also own Marshall's. That said, HG has the biggest supply of kitchenware.

Another place to check is Tuesday Morning. As their name implies, they put out new stuff on Tuesday morning. I got tons of Duralex there last year. They tend to be smaller, but, tend to carry higher-end goods.

Lisa, the problem with Tuesday Morning is price. They're consistently higher than TJ Maxx & the like; service is also lousy at my local TM. Marshall's is a decent alternative, as are Bell's Outlet stores. The retail stores are no bargains, but the outlets are great! Don't forget the Sally and other thrift stores!

• Like 1

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Lisa, the problem with Tuesday Morning is price. They're consistently higher than TJ Maxx & the like; service is also lousy at my local TM. Marshall's is a decent alternative, as are Bell's Outlet stores. The retail stores are no bargains, but the outlets are great! Don't forget the Sally and other thrift stores!

That's true, I think TM purposely has fewer employees on hand, and the stores are smaller than a HG. Price-wise, it's hard for me to compare a lot of items come and go. What I like about TM is the occasional high end find like hand cut, genuine Waterford crystal or real copper cookware from France (the kind you get re-lined occasionally, not the clad stainless stuff.)

That's true, I think TM purposely has fewer employees on hand, and the stores are smaller than a HG. Price-wise, it's hard for me to compare a lot of items come and go. What I like about TM is the occasional high end find like hand cut, genuine Waterford crystal or real copper cookware from France (the kind you get re-lined occasionally, not the clad stainless stuff.)

Guess I'll have to keep a closer eye on them!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

since you are looking at rice, have you considered a fuzzy logic rice cooker?

take a look at this book:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ultimate-Rice-Cooker-Cookbook/dp/1558326677

I saw it in the library here years and years ago and picked it up. then I got a National ( panasonic ) 10 cup rice cooker. its at least 10 - 15 years old.

its non stick and has a way to make crustly bottom rice. the 10 cup is very little more money and its not that you make 10 cups but you use the added volume of the gizmo for add- ins.

since you are looking at rice, have you considered a fuzzy logic rice cooker?

take a look at this book:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ultimate-Rice-Cooker-Cookbook/dp/1558326677

I saw it in the library here years and years ago and picked it up. then I got a National ( panasonic ) 10 cup rice cooker. its at least 10 - 15 years old.

its non stick and has a way to make crustly bottom rice. the 10 cup is very little more money and its not that you make 10 cups but you use the added volume of the gizmo for add- ins.

I have a Zojirushi neuro fuzzy which I use swear by for pretty much all rice except Iraqi/Iranian style. I've tried, and it doesn't work.

To everyone else:

in Tyson's Corner, VA, on Rte 7 (if anyone is in the DC area), there is a TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and Home Goods all more or less next to each other, so I went to all three. Got the Cuisinart 2-ish qt that Smithy mentioned, and I found a 5 qt T-fal pot, which, while not thick all around, seems to have a solid enough bottom for me to get the crust I want. Both set me back about $45 total, so thanks to all who recommended these stores!

• Like 3

I will likely be testing the small pot first, as right now I don't have a table or enough seating for enough guests to warrant the big pot!

• Like 1