• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deveining Shrimp/Prawns

liuzhou

Vein is a euphemism for GI tract with whatever it is one usually finds in a gut. Not poisonous but something I would rather not eat. It is rather easy to remove the "vein" after cooking so your guests can do it for themselve.

I'd suggest that it depends on a couple of factors, the first being how comfortable you are eating the intestine which carries waste products. Then there's the aesthetic consideration: how important is it that the shrimp look nice and clean when served? That may depend, in part, on how the shrimp are prepared and served. Also, the size of the shrimp are a consideration. Larger shrimp have, obviously, larger "veins" which may effect the look and taste of the crustacean. Generally the smallest shrimp are not cleaned, at least from my experience.

Strictly necessary? Not necessarily ...

... Shel

If you cook them w/ the poo tube still in doesn't that impact on the flavour in a negative way?

Not that I've ever noticed.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

If you cook them w/ the poo tube still in doesn't that impact on the flavour in a negative way?

Not .necessarily, but it can. In some cases taste isn't compromised much, if any, but there can be a noticeable grittiness. It depends on the size of the shrimp and how they are prepared. It's probably best the devein the larger shrimp, but you can get by without doing so with smaller shrimp. Larger and smaller are somewhat subjective and relative.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Suspect, still, that Shel_B's onto something w/ the size of the prawn playing a crucial role in all this. Larger prawn = larger poo tube = larger quantity of poo.

EDIT

And, yeah, totally agree. Shelling and cleaning school prawns? Forget this.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Tonight, as a totally unscientific experiment, I cooked a batch of prawns with spaghetti. I tried to keep it simple.

The prawns were medium sized I would say, and very fresh to the point that they were alive until they suddenly had their internal organs torn out. Half of them. I got bored The other half remained intact, breathing or whatever prawns do until they hit that wok.

I cooked them shell on, my preferred method. Why throw away 90% of the taste?. Basically fried with garlic in butter and finished off with some white wine, lemon juice, coriander and Chinese chives. Served with spaghetti.

I assembled a world class tasting panel. Myself and my main collaborator in eating. A woman of exceptional talent and wisdom - or so she told me. We couldn't detect any difference between deveined and non-deveined, either visually or in taste.

prawn and spaghetti.jpg

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

I assembled a world class tasting panel. Myself and my main collaborator in eating. A woman of exceptional talent and wisdom - or so she told me. We couldn't detect any difference between deveined and non-deveined, either visually or in taste.

Wouldn't preparing the shrimp with the shell on mask any visual issues compared with shelled shrimp? Also, the shells may mask any grittiness or taste differences (if you eat the shrimp with the shells).

... Shel

Wouldn't preparing the shrimp with the shell on mask any visual issues compared with shelled shrimp? Also, the shells may mask any grittiness or taste differences (if you eat the shrimp with the shells).

Yes, the 'veins' might be harder to see with shell on shrimp before cooking. After cooking, no.

I think we can tell the difference between grittiness and shell fragments. There was no grittiness.

I am a shrimp fiend and have prepped and cleaned many many pounds. Some shrimp seem to have a more annoying "vein" than others which I attribute to their diet and living conditions prior to harvest. When the veins are fat and full looking, I de-vein even for myself. In saute preps I also remove the vein for looks. If serving whole shrimp like liuzhou presented above I prefer to keep them intact. I posted about an odd deveining issue in this topic http://forums.egullet.org/topic/141028-issue-with-de-veining-shrimp That I did not want to see or eat.

Not sure that for most people this is a matter of reason. Clams and oysters I don't think about much, and I do like to eat them raw. But a shrimp? I personally don't want to eat an obviously full "vein." Nor would I serve it to guests in case they are turned off by it like I am. Deveining while keeping the shell on is an annoying procedure at best, so I rarely make recipes that call for cooking in the shell unless I am feeling very ambitious. I agree the shell has a lot of flavor, so I like to make dishes that are a bit soupy and use a little shrimp stock. At least that way I feel like I am getting some use out of those shells.

For myself, I devein and remove not only the digestive system (dorsal vein) but also the nervous system (ventral vein). It has to do with texture for me - even if the shrimp has been purged, I still detect the vein as a grittiness and off-flavour that I don't like. So for me, to make the dish enjoyable, it's worthwhile to go through the extra work.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Where I grew up, people would never bother deveining a shrimp...now, I really don't care for shrimps, I prefer so much more crabs or langoustines but my husband is crazy about deveining his shrimps, even when I fry them, I keep the shell on but head offs so I can devein from the head. Personally, in terms of grittiness, I find a huge difference among ocean prawns or the smaller fresh caught Mediterranean shrimps.