• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NiEggara Fest 2013

Anna and I are gearing up for the Big Green Egg Eggfest this Sunday out at Hernder Estates Winery in Niagara. We'll have two eggs to cook on again this year and have a variety of new things we are going to try.

Thought we'd start this thread early to show some of the prep that we have started so that we'll be ready to go on Sunday morning.

DSCN1755.jpg

This is the dough for a couple of loaves of Cheese and Red Pepper bread - Cabot Extra Sharp and Penzey's dehydrated roasted red peppers.

This is the dough for the Not Cinnamon Roll variation for this year - Anna's idea that we should do cheddar, bacon and chives.

DSCN1757.jpg

DSCN1758.jpg

All these doughs have gone into the freezer to be taken out the day before and left to thaw and finish rising in the fridge.

DSCN1759.jpg

This is an apple chutney to go with the Paratha that Anna is putting together and freezing.

DSCN1760.jpg

Forgot to take a picture before I bunged them in the freezer - pork tenderloins marinating in "asian sauce" - scallions, garlic, ginger, fish sauce, soy, honey and some rice vinegar.

• Like 2

If you followed our recent Manitoulin adventure you will remember that we were testing out a few recipes for the Eggfest. One of these was for sausage rolls. I already posted the photo of the mise on the Manitoulin topic but here's a couple of photos of today's prep:

image.jpg

image.jpg

We will be serving the paratha which was also tested and here is one of the condiments that will accompany it:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The recipe is here:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/9924-tomato-chutney/?p=96419

And here's my reward:

image.jpg

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Purchased a 3+ kg eye of round - made the butcher happy by asking for it untrimmed (the one he had on display was trimmed within an inch of it's life!)

DSCN1762.jpg

Trimmed up up and salted heavily for 24 hours.

DSCN1763.jpg

Vacuum sealed.

DSCN1764.jpg

Into the brain jar for 36 hours at 54.5º C.

• Like 3

Today I made the paratha to accompany the tomato chutney. I tested this out on Manitoulin Island but today I noticed a huge difference between the atta flour I used there and the stuff I had here. Today the atta was much grittier. It was not a bad thing, however, as I think the breads turned out flakier and crisper.

Although I documented the process on the Island, I thought some of you might enjoy a second go-around.

image.jpg

The unleavened dough which came together nicely in the Thermomix. It is just A/P flour, atta flour, salt, oil and milk. It rests for an hour under a damp cloth.

image.jpg

It is then divided into 6 portions. Each portion is rolled out, brushed with melted ghee and dusted with atta flour.

image.jpg

The rolled out, buttered and floured disc of dough is then pleated as one pleats a paper fan.

image.jpg

The pleated dough is gently stretched

image.jpg

And rolled into a "snail". The dough rests again for about 20 minutes before again being rolled out into a disc and put into a dry, heated pan.

image.jpg

Where it cooks until it shows these brown spots and is flipped over and brushed with more ghee.

image.jpg

You can see how puffy it is! Another brushing with ghee and it's done.

image.jpg

Can you see the layers?

Couldn't help myself I scarfed one down with some tomato chutney in the name of science.

image.jpg

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Interesting - cause it was the same brand of Atta flour - one bought from a middle eastern store, the other from a white bread grocery store. Would be interesting to look at the bags together and see if they are labelled differently for different markets. Either that or their quality control is non existent.

Strangely when I've done this before it doesn't end up tasting corned.

The idea of the eye of round is cheap meat (of course this wasn't as cheap as I would have liked - I prefer to pick up frozen ones when they are really cheap).

It makes fabulous sandwich meat.

Interesting - cause it was the same brand of Atta flour - one bought from a middle eastern store, the other from a white bread grocery store. Would be interesting to look at the bags together and see if they are labelled differently for different markets. Either that or their quality control is non existent.

While Kerry said she was "making memories" on Manitoulin she must have forgotten that we used Mr. Gouda's atta flour there but Golden Temple brand here! The stuff up north was soft like A/P flour but Golden Temple is decidedly gritty.

My 2004 eG Blog

While Kerry said she was "making memories" on Manitoulin she must have forgotten that we used Mr. Gouda's atta flour there but Golden Temple brand here! The stuff up north was soft like A/P flour but Golden Temple is decidedly gritty.

You are correct - I'm losing my mind. Looked at both in the mid eastern store - must have bought the Goudas.

Hey Kerry

Looks like lots of amazing treats, as usual

Still miffed I missed being your cook tent partner in Toronto

Wife is still out of commission, so don't think we will make it down tomorrow

Will try for next year

Hope you guys have great weather

Lots of pics please :smile:

Shane

Hey Kerry

Looks like lots of amazing treats, as usual

Still miffed I missed being your cook tent partner in Toronto

Wife is still out of commission, so don't think we will make it down tomorrow

Will try for next year

Hope you guys have great weather

Lots of pics please :smile:

Shane

That's too bad - was just wondering this morning if we were going to see you there.

Today I made the paratha to accompany the tomato chutney. I tested this out on Manitoulin Island but today I noticed a huge difference between the atta flour I used there and the stuff I had here. Today the atta was much grittier. It was not a bad thing, however, as I think the breads turned out flakier and crisper.

Although I documented the process on the Island, I thought some of you might enjoy a second go-around.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The unleavened dough which came together nicely in the Thermomix. It is just A/P flour, atta flour, salt, oil and milk. It rests for an hour under a damp cloth.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It is then divided into 6 portions. Each portion is rolled out, brushed with melted ghee and dusted with atta flour.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The rolled out, buttered and floured disc of dough is then pleated as one pleats a paper fan.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The pleated dough is gently stretched

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

And rolled into a "snail". The dough rests again for about 20 minutes before again being rolled out into a disc and put into a dry, heated pan.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Where it cooks until it shows these brown spots and is flipped over and brushed with more ghee.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

You can see how puffy it is! Another brushing with ghee and it's done.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Can you see the layers?

Couldn't help myself I scarfed one down with some tomato chutney in the name of science.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hey Anna! Don't know how I missed this on the other thread, but I'm glad you re-posted it here. I'm definitely going to be making this!

Anna will have more pictures - her daughter helped us today and took lots more photos than I.

We started the morning with the chive, cheddar and bacon 'not' cinnamon rolls.

DSCN1765.jpg

Followed by the couple of loaves of cheese and red pepper bread.

DSCN1767.jpg

DSCN1772.jpg

Next up - the sausage rolls.

DSCN1775.jpg

Then the parathas.

DSCN1777.jpg

DSCN1778.jpg

Mac and cheese - popular with kids and adults.

DSCN1781.jpg

Peach crisp/crumble.

DSCN1783.jpg

Then we moved on to the production of the eye of round 'crostini'.

DSCN1784.jpg

Toasted the ciabatta and spread with garlic butter.

DSCN1785.jpg

Browned the meat.

DSCN1787.jpg

Assembled, cut and dressed with horseradish cream. We also had some leftover peruvian sauce that some folks preferred.

DSCN1790.jpg

People had kind of stopped eating much at this point - so we only cooked two of the pork tenderloins we had brought. Others should provide dinner for a few days.

DSCN1792.jpg

Anna packing her knives! Isn't that what they do at the end of all those cooking competition shows?

DSCN1794.jpg

• Like 2

Strangely when I've done this before it doesn't end up tasting corned.

The idea of the eye of round is cheap meat (of course this wasn't as cheap as I would have liked - I prefer to pick up frozen ones when they are really cheap).

It makes fabulous sandwich meat.

Its what I use for corned beef. Cooked SV its tender and cheaper than brisket. Less fatty too.

Some more photos courtesy of my daughter who not only took photos but acted as our gopher and plied us with wine, beer, water and food all day long.

image.jpg

Kerry and I in our tent (#8)

image.jpg

The "not cinnamon rolls" ready to serve.

image.jpg

Another shot of the cheese and red pepper bread.

image.jpg

Sausage rolls ready to go on the Egg.

image.jpg

And ready to be served.

image.jpg

Mac n cheese

image.jpg

Eye of round just off the Egg

image.jpg

Being sliced

image.jpg

Being layered on toasted ciabatta spread with garlic butter

image.jpg

Topped with horseradish cream and ready to be served.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog