• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef: New Orleans

huiray

It's a name, so it doesn't translate. From Claude Treme, who bought the Morand plantation lands now lying beneath the Sixth Ward )yet another name for the neighborhood). And Soledad Obrien is not capital C Creole in the New Orleans sense....Creoles of color in Louisiana are a category unto themselves, not simply anyone of multicultural/multiethnic ancestry.

Then there are white Creoles, another group of folks....or the Cane River Creoles, who live in the north central part of the state....or the Afrocentric French speaking southwest LA people who use the label Creole to distinguish themselves from their (culturally very very similar) Cajun neighbors.

Yet poor ol Alan Richman couldn't find any of these people in post Katrina Louisiana, bless his heart.

It sounds like trying to differentiate between the different Indian tribes where I live. I'm about 1/32 Cherokee and have blue eyes and blonde hair, yet I'm forever having people ask me what Tribe I belong to.

Yet poor ol Alan Richman couldn't find any of these people in post Katrina Louisiana, bless his heart.

Alan is completely FOS. He couldn't find because he didn't look.

He should have looked in the Superdome where Shep Smith managed to find cannibals when no one else could because there weren't any. That's quality reporting, right there. /sarc

• 2 weeks later...

I see Padma has the Angelina Jolie leg-thing going.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Padma's way hotter than AJ.

And she can cook. I'll probably regret admitting this, but I actually do have, use, and like her cookbook.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1602860068

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm definitely in the minority, but I find Gail hotter than Padma. She did a demo on the same stage we were on for the Food & Wine festival in Austin last year and it took all of my focus to get any work done :P

I'm definitely in the minority, but I find Gail hotter than Padma. She did a demo on the same stage we were on for the Food & Wine festival in Austin last year and it took all of my focus to get any work done :P

I'm with you. Gail>>Padma

She does dress funny sometimes though.

• 3 weeks later...

Padma bites the hand that feeds her:

"Padma Lakshmi slams 'Top Chef' product placements"

Last year, she told Playboy that she doesn't watch "Top Chef," a show she famously hosts, and doesn't understand fans' rabid devotion. Now, she's railing against the show's product placement.

Poor Padma...the burdens you must shoulder...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...

Christy Brinkley is ready to start working again. Padma, pass that baton.

So tired of Padma. The only worse one I can think of would be that perky friend of Batali's.

The Goopster? Ick!

I read that Stacy Kubler (sp?), George Clooney's ex-girlfriend is free, as well. She also has a cookbook in the works so she could add a dash of expertise or just youthful good looks and prize-pointing. I've never been a Padma fan and it's time for her to pack her knives and go.

I just read that Gail Simmons is expecting! I hope she has a sharper fashion sense in maternity wear than did Padma. Wear those heels, girl!

Given the stuff she's worn in the non-gravid state I wouldn't hold out much hope. Having said that, she's still the best of the bunch.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A quick reminder to those interested: Season premiere is on Wed. Oct 2, 10 pm eastern time/9 central.

Thanks. I had forgotten it was almost upon us!