• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Veal Cheeks Sous Vide

ElsieD

I bought some veal cheeks today and would like to cook them sous vide. The last postings I could find on eGullet concerning this was in 2010 and I am hoping to get some updated information. I would like to know at what temperature and for how long these should be cooked. I have never cooked these before by any method and so I have no idea what they are like, but given the price, I hope they are good. Also, what kind of a sauce would be good with them? I'm sort of thinking maybe a marsala/dijon/mustard sauce might be good. Any comments on that? Thanks in advance.

I bought some veal cheeks today and would like to cook them sous vide. The last postings I could find on eGullet concerning this was in 2010 and I am hoping to get some updated information. I would like to know at what temperature and for how long these should be cooked. I have never cooked these before by any method and so I have no idea what they are like, but given the price, I hope they are good. Also, what kind of a sauce would be good with them? I'm sort of thinking maybe a marsala/dijon/mustard sauce might be good. Any comments on that? Thanks in advance.

I've never cooked them sous vide so I can't help with that, but I've cooked them in more traditional ways. Veal cheeks are delicious braised low and slow, but don't overdo the cooking and go as far as you would older beef. The cheeks have a looser structure and texture due to the younger age of the animal. As far as sauces go, I try to stay within the general traditions of lighter sauces for veal based on white wine rather than red. But I do think a nice marsala sauce would work and I'd probably go light on the mustard so it doesn't overpower all the other flavors in the dish. Some fresh spring morels would also be nice.

My $0.02, not having cooked veal cheeks sous vide, would be to base the sauce on something lighter such as white wine / dijon mustard. Reduce the wine to remove alcohol, assemble in bag and my best guess would be 80 degrees C for somewhere between 4 and 6 hours.

Let us know how it goes.

Simon

In Under Pressure, Keller has veal cheeks zingara. These are veal cheeks braised in veal stock with a purée of Yukon gold potatoes, truffle sauce, and Serrano ham and truffle salad. Sounds pretty good to me.

He browns the cheeks, and then sous vides at 82.2C for 8 hours. Then there is some simmering and a transfer to an oven for a few minutes each.

The thing is, I've been turned off by long time sous vide. The texture is just off putting for me in general. I've done mostly recipes from Keller and MC. In the couple of recipes I have by Heston Blumenthal, however, his temps and times are significantly lower. The one recipe I've tried of his was fantastic, but I forgot what it was.

I tend to agree with the above. Traditionally braised cheeks are just glorious. I don't see a need for SV. But I admit my bias.

I place myself on the opposite camp. I've never enjoyed the kind-of-chewy texture of traditionally braised tough meats (though I love the sauce they produce), whereas I love it sous-vide long time at a low temperature.

As for veal cheeks, my preference goes for 72 hours at 60ºC, you can see a picture of the result here: http://dorarnosella.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/razones-cocinar-al-vacio-carrilleras-ternera-con-patatas-hb.jpg

Sometimes 48 hours can be enough, bag pieces separate and remove one after 48 hours, then try all and you'll know your preferred time for next time.